Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #401
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can't believe it's been more than a year since this thread was last updated. Thanks for brightening my day. Ain't freedom grand!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #402

Justice served!

Old 02-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #403
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Marathoner,

The one quote from your update that I liked reading the most...

"Everyone always asks what happened to him -- is he still with his mistress? I honestly don't know."

A sure sign that you've moved on.

I am happy for you
Old 02-13-2014, 09:45 PM   #404

What a nice post to read this evening. Thanks for sharing and so glad to hear you're doing well!
Old 02-13-2014, 11:07 PM   #405
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Thanks for checking in, Marathoner. Yours is a powerful story of personal growth and renewal, and I, for one, am grateful that you have shared it with us. May you continue to experience all the joy that is life. -- Gumby
+1

Great to hear from you, Marathoner! Gumby said it best.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:51 AM   #406

Thanks for the update. Enjoy your good life!
Old 02-14-2014, 06:52 AM   #407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Thanks for checking in, Marathoner. Yours is a powerful story of personal growth and renewal, and I, for one, am grateful that you have shared it with us. May you continue to experience all the joy that is life.
Nothing to add. Couldn't have said it any better.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #408

Thanks for sharing. Best wishes.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #409

I'll join the chorus.......good luck, keep the miles up.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #410
Moderator Emeritus

Marathoner, one thing your story underscores is that things do get better even though it might be hard to imagine. I am so glad you worked your way out of this situation from the suicidal depths you describe, and this message is so important. Thanks for sharing the story and your update.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #411
Give me a forum ...

Marathoner:

Your story is one of inspiration for many out there. I am very happy for you, and it looks like you have a really great life right now. Feel free to stay on here and update us. Your future is bright......

Financedude

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #412

Quote:
Anyway, the only complaint he had about me was that I think too much about the future.
I am way late to this but I just stumbled into this thread. The above quote is one I have gotten at least a jillion times by people and is by far the biggest reason I am not married.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:52 PM   #413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Marathoner, one thing your story underscores is that things do get better even though it might be hard to imagine. I am so glad you worked your way out of this situation from the suicidal depths you describe, and this message is so important. Thanks for sharing the story and your update.
Well said. There is always hope, no matter how bleak things may seem. So very, very happy for you Marathoner!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #414
Give me a forum ...

Justice served indeed!
Old 02-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #415
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathoner View Post
...He does occasionally send me e-mails asking me to send him naked pictures. I ignore them, obviously...
This man is weird! I cannot see a spouse or a boyfriend asking for naked pictures, let alone an ex. Glad that you have gotten rid of him.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #416
Full time employment: Posting here.

Glad you got out of your inmature marriage and were able to focus on yourself.

Someone once told me, "You can't fix anyone else until you work on yourself." that one phrase is so true. There's no time to fix anyone else when you are working on yourself and that's how life should be.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #417

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
This man is weird! I cannot see a spouse or a boyfriend asking for naked pictures, let alone an ex. Glad that you have gotten rid of him.
No kidding. That's the stuff restraining orders are made of....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #418

Inspirational! Thanks for the update and may you continue to live the life you were meant to have.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #419

Thanks for the update. Good to know things are going great.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:39 PM   #420

So nice to hear how well things worked out. I am very happy for you.
Just the other day I was thinking "I wonder what every happened to......" and I assumed it worked out well but we would never find out for sure. Thanks for the update (and thanks to whoever sent you the PM)!