Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #421
Recycles dryer sheets

This is one of my favorite ER threads EVER -- so thrilled about how things have worked out for you. I still remember when you first posted. Living well is certainly the best revenge! Thanks for the update and enjoy your fabulous life

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #422
Recycles dryer sheets

Amazing courage. Congrats on finding happiness.

Sent from my HTC One using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Old 02-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #423
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all of the continued support. I'll definitely be a more regular visitor, even though early retirement is still years off.

You are just the best!
Old 02-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #424
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As many of us on this Board have discovered with good planning and investing early retirement is an option sooner than you might think. There will be bumps in the road as you navigate that route but you are SOOOO much better off than you would have been living with/married to that jerk.

Congratulations, don't forget about us. We haven't forgotten you.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:41 AM   #425

It is inspiring to learn how well you extracted yourself from a bad situation and headed out to freedom.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:04 AM   #426
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Best wishes!
Old 02-15-2014, 07:21 AM   #427
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the update and glad things are going well.

I never would have thought to ask an ex for a nude picture. I'll poll all my exes and see if there are any takers. If I don't post here again it means my wife checks my email....
Old 02-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-nyc View Post
I never would have thought to ask an ex for a nude picture.
At this point I rather doubt I'd want to see it, nor she one of me.....
Old 02-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #429
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhamo View Post
This is one of my favorite ER threads EVER -- so thrilled about how things have worked out for you. I still remember when you first posted. Living well is certainly the best revenge! Thanks for the update and enjoy your fabulous life
+1
Your consistently positive attitude really has been inspirational.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:20 PM   #430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Thanks for checking in, Marathoner. Yours is a powerful story of personal growth and renewal, and I, for one, am grateful that you have shared it with us. May you continue to experience all the joy that is life. -- Gumby
+1
Old 02-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #431
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am glad to hear that you have moved forward with your life. Best of luck!
Old 02-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #432
Recycles dryer sheets

There is life after divorce. I am glad you are doing well.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:22 PM   #433

What a great outcome! Love to hear how well you are doing. You sound so happy, which is delightful. Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:38 PM   #434
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats again and thanks for the update, glad it all continues to work out so well!!
Old 12-17-2016, 09:53 PM   #435
Recycles dryer sheets

Having just passed the 5 year mark of finding out my (now ex) husband was cheating on me, and since it's been a few years since I've updated, I thought I'd come back for a quick post. Even though I haven't read through the advice I received in years, this forum was so integral in me finally finding happiness.

Life continues to get better and better!

On the w**k front - I started taking a series of exams for work. Due to me taking these exams, I got a promotion, which means I may be closer to FI than originally thought!

On the personal front -- lots of travel! My mom and I did go to France last year, so she met the family I lived with when I was an exchange student there 20 years ago. I also ran the Boston Marathon with a good friend of mine (she'd felt the heat of the blasts in 2013 and wanted someone with her when she returned) -- it was healing and a good reminder to not take things for granted.

After going on over 60 first dates, last February I decided to give up dating after the last guy I'd agreed to meet for a drink. When I asked him where he was from, he proclaimed in his fake British accent, "I am from Narnia!" At that point, I realized I would have rather been at work than on a date with that guy, so I removed myself from all of the sites and wound up having the best summer of my life. I strengthened my friendships and made so many incredible lifetime memories. I have so many first date stories like this, my friends are asking me to write a book, which I may do someday.

In any case, while on a dating break which had reached 8 months at the time, I went to a movie with a friend of a friend, and we've now been dating for a little over a year. We just returned from a trip to Hawaii. I had never been in a healthy relationship with someone before, and it's been really incredible. So glad I've had the opportunity to experience this!

You guys are the best -- I am grateful for your wisdom every day!!!
Old 12-17-2016, 10:07 PM   #436
Give me a forum ...

Wow - so great to read your wonderful update! You go girl!
Old 12-17-2016, 10:47 PM   #437
Moderator Emeritus

Love this. Thanks for the update!!
Old 12-18-2016, 01:10 AM   #438

Congratulations. Things happen for a reason and for you, the divorce was a blessing in disguise.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:18 AM   #439
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the update. It sounds like you're in a great relationship and life's going well.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:43 AM   #440

Divorce is always a bad deal. That is one reason I have never married. Although emotionally it may be no different, legally it is a lot different.

It's great you landed on your feet throughout all of this. Often, a divorce is so financially devastating it derails many of life's plans.

It the 'old' days, couples were more dependent on each other. Couples stayed married because it was the social norm, and they could not live apart. The laws made it difficult. Society managed to get through it. Mistresses were more accepted, or at least tolerated as long as the financial obligations were met.

In modern times, no one is dependent on anyone. There are plenty of social programs to help kids and the new single moms. It is real easy to get a divorce. Paychecks are garnished so no one has to wait for a check to be mail.

Marriage is really an obsolete concept in today's world. I guess that's what progress is...

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote