Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-10-2007, 02:21 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Five weeks to go until i retire and it seems the company is starting early on phasing me out.Most of my work has now been reassigned,I;m not being asked to sit in on meetings any more or other company functions,in fact i'm just sitting around doing nothing all night and its kinda depressing,when i tell any one anything they just dont take me seriously and it seems the most used slogan lately is "dont worry Jim you only have a few weeks left to go"
I'm feeling like after giving 30yrs to this company they now cant get rid of me fast enough
And? Why do you care with only 5 weeks to go? I would spend my time surfing the net and thanking my lucky stars that my chains are about to be unshackled. In fact, you should start sleeping in, strolling in to work late, taking a mid morning stroll to Starbucks if you can, a long lunch and leave early. You get my point?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2007, 02:30 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just relax and know you carried the ball for 30 years with dignity. They now all need to ease away from your expertise and in reality they are doing you a favor. Your last day will be less stressful knowing they have moved on and started to act without you..I would talk it over with the boss and offer to come in 1/2 days and work from home the others if it helps them prepare for your exit..

Old 11-10-2007, 10:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Thanks for cheering me up.As for my duties at the plant they are just giving it all to the guy on the day shift and cutting my job completely, the guy on the day shift is not happy
There was some excellent advice given here:

1) don't take it personally
2) these next five weeks be going over your ER plans/finances/health insurance options/retirement to-do lists/fitness to-do plans/retirement daydreams------if you find gaps, start to fill them in.
3) to the extent you may feel any personal guilt at not working what you think is a full load for your employer, talk it over with them. I am sure they are having you work at the load level "they" desire. When you clear the air on that, let the guilt go, and start visualizing your retirement life. All you can do is make clear you are more than willing to carry a full load. It is up to them to avail themselves or not.

I think they are giving you a much deserved "on the job vacation" for these last few weeks as you have tendered years of faithful service. Relax and enjoy it.

Visualize retirement. Visualize retirement. Visualize retirement. Do you see it? Can you feel it? Taste it? Smell it? Touch it?

Enjoy an exciting beginning of a new phase in your life.

Regards,
from a fellow great retirement lifer.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:50 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Five weeks to go until i retire and it seems the company is starting early on phasing me out.Most of my work has now been reassigned,I;m not being asked to sit in on meetings any more or other company functions,...
Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. Start now to mentally wean yourself from being dependent on the job for fulfillment. When you retire in a few weeks, you will be living in a new world and will have to seek enjoyment and self worth in other activities.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:24 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
I think they are giving you a much deserved "on the job vacation" for these last few weeks as you have tendered years of faithful service. Relax and enjoy it.
I agree. sit back and surf the net for 5 weeks.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:51 PM   #26

Jambo,

You're Retired-In-Place ("RIP'), the civilian equivalent to ROAD. Some have been RIP'ed for years and years -- I knew one guy who was RIP'ed for five years. It can get boring getting RIP'ed for a long period. For me, I think 5 weeks would be a perfect period for being RIP'ed.

I commend you for your dedicated service and thoughtfulness about your employer and your co-workers. I bet you earned every minute of being RIP'ed. Enjoy all of that time on the job.