Join Early Retirement Today

Getting Ready for Winter
Old 11-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Getting Ready for Winter

What are you doing to get ready for winter? For those in warm climates, this could include preparing for the holidays. For example, looking to purchase some holiday themed flip-flops

So far, we've had the chimney cleaned and the heating system checked out. We're also starting to go through our Christmas decorations to see what will work/fit in our home (we recently downsized). We have company coming right after Thanksgiving so want to get the place looking festive.

Also, I bought me two new pairs of boots. Leather ones that come almost up to my knees for trudging through snow and suede, fuzzy lined bear paws for general comfort. Love my bear paws
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boots.jpg (531.3 KB, 14 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I bought some new LL Bean slip on waterproof shoes. Perfect for running out to the mailbox or shopping. I hate laces!

travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Winter here (if it comes at all) only lasts a week or two. Nothing to get prepared for.

I confess we don't do any holiday decorating either. And we're always festive!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

On this rainy Friday afternoon, I am setting up our christmas tree while drinking a cup of hot chocolate.

We donwsized earlier in the year, so gone are the 7' tree and boxes of decorations. This year it's just a lighted 3' tree propped up on the kitchen counter.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
On this rainy Friday afternoon, I am setting up our christmas tree while drinking a cup of hot chocolate.

We donwsized earlier in the year, so gone are the 7' tree and boxes of decorations. This year it's just a lighted 3' tree propped up on the kitchen counter.
It's beautiful! I just know your cat's thinking evil thoughts. She's a cali
Old 11-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I cleaned the gutters and put the chair cushions in the garage.

For holiday decorating, after Thanksgiving I'll switch to the Xmas wreath on the front door and put up the Xmas lights on the house. I have a timer that keeps them on for 7 hours every night.

If we are expecting a freeze I'll roll my 2 citrus barrels under the patio cover and wrap them with Xmas lights and cover with Agribon (thin polyester fabric that allows 85% light to go through it).

Other than that, our weather is mild enough that nothing else is needed.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
It's beautiful! I just know your cat's thinking evil thoughts. She's a cali
There already was an "incident". That's how the tree ended up on the counter.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleece workout pants from Target ("sweatpants" is just soooo old-fashioned) and cuddleduds undershirts. Good to go.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Almost done with most of the outside stuff:
- Drain garden hoses, roll 'em up and put in garage.
- Put the insulated covers over the outside hose bibs.
- Bring in the ceramic litter ornaments that crack in freezing weather
- Mulch up the last leaves on the lawn

I need to buy some more small propane canisters for the emergency heater and I'll be all done.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Same here. Boats are winterized and put away. My mom's place down the street is winterized (water drained, power off, propane off, etc.). Have 4 cords of firewood stacked.

Just need to straighten up the garage so I can fit the car in it and put on winter tires.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Nothing, the preps were done about a month ago. Just stuck another log in the stove, an reading the forum.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Turned on the heater for the first time this year a couple of nights ago, and I wore sweatpants instead of shorts a couple of days this week. I haven't yet pulled out my all weather jacket that I wear in the winter.

Other than that, not much. I am getting ready to do my end of the year financial spreadsheet stuff and as usual, eagerly anticipating that. I have been trying to get everything as up to date as possible to prepare. Today after stopping by the notary I mailed off form TSP-73 to the TSP to lower the amounts of my monthly payments by about half starting in Jan 2013.

Although we do have distinct seasons here, winter usually is not too harsh. So, I guess I am in the same situation as Nords when it comes to preparing for winter. Not too much to do. In the heart of winter my lawn guy doesn't have to mow every single week, and just comes every other week. I am looking forward to that since it is almost like found money. So is the lower air conditioning bill in wintertime.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
What are you doing to get ready for winter? For those in warm climates, this could include preparing for the holidays. For example, looking to purchase some holiday themed flip-flops

During winter in Florida flip flops are replaced with ballet flats . Jeans return & cotton sweaters come out of hiding . Heaters go on in the pools and the decks & patios are readied for holiday parties .Cooking goes from grilling only to crock pot stews & chili .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, we shut the window in our stairwell this morning. If it gets really cold tonight then we might shut all the bedroom windows.

I'm going up to Haleiwa next week to buy a neoprene jacket for surfing. It's getting physically painful (*snivel, whimper*) to paddle out in that surf when it's in the low-mid 70s...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

It's been too nice (in 50's) to think much about winter.

Oh, I did put on a jacket while shopping today .
Old 11-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
What are you doing to get ready for winter? For those in warm climates.................
Nothing. I did it all a month ago when the snow winter arrived.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:56 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What are you doing to get ready for winter? For those in warm climates...
In the valley home, I have been tilling manure into the planting beds in the backyard to prepare for cool season growing. The high got up to 77F today.

Up in the boonies home, when we left the last time, I shut off the water at the mains, and drained the water lines as a precaution (the plumbing was done such that the outside faucets were at the lowest points to ease draining). The heat pump is always in heat mode, and the thermostat is set to 45F year round, and that protects the inside from freezing. From Oct to May, due to the risk of freezing, the water shut-off is done whenever the house is uninhabited, and turned on when we are up for a visit.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:12 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

At the first hint of chilly weather I flew down to Grand Cayman. Unfortunately I am returning today. When it really gets cold I am packing the bikes and the dog and driving to Florida for five weeks. I will stuff a towel under the door before I leave.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:13 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Put the boat away
Raked/burned leaves
Cleaned up flower gardens
Winterized sprinkling system
Put away patio/deck furniture and plant containers
Disconnected and put away rain barrel
Cleaned gutters
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

-Continue with weekly leave raking of my 120 ft willow oak in my front yard. (usually yields about 60-75 bags of leaves a season) Plan on having it removed in Jan 13.
-Work on winterizing the home outside and inside by Thanksgiving.
-Luckily living in southeast Virginia, the climate is fairly temperate.
But those leaves, those leaves!
5oneanddone is offline   Reply With Quote