Join Early Retirement Today

Getting Rid of Carseats???
Old 12-27-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Getting Rid of Carseats???

Ihave 3 carseats I need to get rid of. Goodwill won't take them for liability reasons, no one else will either.

Is there a place where they can be donated and myabe recycled?

Or do I Craiglist them, they are in nice shape........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Wait until the weather warms, ( or maybe you already live where it's warm) and have a yard sale. Young parents are always looking for bargans at yard sales, and eagerly buy them. If you don't have enough stuff for a year sale, team up with a neighbor.... Worked well for us with some of our granddaughter's outgrown stuff including car seats.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had an opposite problem - I never seem to have enough of these
Craigslist, Freecycle or friends.
If these are infant seat - don't you know anybody expecting?
If you still have trouble getting rid of them, PM me with what you have and an area you live and I'm sure DW will find somebody needy at baby/child boards.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

You and Trek need to get together...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

many sell on ebay or craigslist - even better if you have the original manuals (but then again, those can usually be obtained online nowadays)...

i've passed mine on to friends...
Old 12-27-2007, 03:13 PM   #6

I am surprised that an auto-wrecking yard would not take them. I thought car seats were
highly sought after, so much so that thieves broke into cars and stole them on occasion.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:22 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You and Trek need to get together...
Got mine about a month ago (new). We're all about being prepared. I'd be a little wary of buying a used one myself though, especially if I didn't know the history of it.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Freecycle.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:47 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Finally a question I can help with.....

One reason why carseats are not easy to resell is because a number of well known brands have been recalled and no longer pass safety standards.

Here's what the American Academy of Pediatrics says:

AAP - Car Safety Seats: A Guide for Families - 2007

Q: What about using a used car safety seat?
A: Avoid used car safety seats, especially if bought from a yard sale or a thrift shop because you won't know the seat's history.
Never use a car seat that
  • Is too old. Look on the label for the date it was made. Many manufacturers recommend that car safety seats only be used for a certain number of years. Check with the manufacturer to find out how long the company recommends using their seat.
  • Has any visible cracks in the frame of the seat.
  • Does not have a label with the date of manufacture and model number. Without these, you cannot check to see if the seat has been recalled.
  • Does not come with instructions. You need them to know how to use the seat. You can get a copy of the instruction manual by contacting the manufacturer or looking on the Internet.
  • Is missing parts. Used car safety seats often come without important parts. Check with the manufacturer to make sure you can get the right parts.
  • Is a shield booster. Although shield boosters are still around, the AAP ­recommends against their use. Major injuries have occurred to children in shield boosters. The only time shield boosters should be used is if the shield is removed and the seat is used with a lap and shoulder belt as described previously.
  • Was recalled. You can find out by calling the manufacturer or by contacting the following:
If the seat has been recalled, be sure to follow the instructions to fix it or to get the parts you need. You also may get a registration card for future recall notices from the hotline.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:28 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Car seat story: We bought a car seat before our daughter was born, and it sat in the attic awaiting the big day. When coming home from the hospital, a nurse brought our new daughter out and placed her in the car seat.

Unbeknownst to us, our cat had peed in the car seat when it was in the attic. Guess we didn't make a good impression on the nurse.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
I am surprised that an auto-wrecking yard would not take them. I thought car seats were
highly sought after, so much so that thieves broke into cars and stole them on occasion.
I am sure that they would take them even "the death trap" ones if you gave them an old junk car with it...
Old 12-28-2007, 09:31 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
One reason why carseats are not easy to resell is because a number of well known brands have been recalled and no longer pass safety standards.

Here's what the American Academy of Pediatrics says:

AAP - Car Safety Seats: A Guide for Families - 2007

Q: What about using a used car safety seat?
A: Avoid used car safety seats, especially if bought from a yard sale or a thrift shop because you won't know the seat's history.
Never use a car seat that
  • Is too old. Look on the label for the date it was made. Many manufacturers recommend that car safety seats only be used for a certain number of years. Check with the manufacturer to find out how long the company recommends using their seat.
  • Has any visible cracks in the frame of the seat.
  • Does not have a label with the date of manufacture and model number. Without these, you cannot check to see if the seat has been recalled.
  • Does not come with instructions. You need them to know how to use the seat. You can get a copy of the instruction manual by contacting the manufacturer or looking on the Internet.
  • Is missing parts. Used car safety seats often come without important parts. Check with the manufacturer to make sure you can get the right parts.
  • Is a shield booster. Although shield boosters are still around, the AAP *recommends against their use. Major injuries have occurred to children in shield boosters. The only time shield boosters should be used is if the shield is removed and the seat is used with a lap and shoulder belt as described previously.
  • Was recalled. You can find out by calling the manufacturer or by contacting the following:
If the seat has been recalled, be sure to follow the instructions to fix it or to get the parts you need. You also may get a registration card for future recall notices from the hotline.
In addition, a lot of people (eg, parenting books) say you should never buy a used car seat unless you know the prior owner and know for sure that it has been in no accidents. The idea is that a car accident can damage a car seat without showing a physical damage.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Maybe you could try your local police department or child protective services.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:34 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Here's the deal.

You give or sell one of these to someone, and in a subsequent crash, the seat fails and their kid is hurt or killed.

You get the joy of a huge liability suit.

Wheres that thread on umbrella liability insurance again?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote