Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got a stocking filled with chocolate and a very large gift card to JJill . I will definetely use it .Plan on visiting the store on Monday but may hold off until the spring items come in.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I get tons of gift cards for various restaurant chains we visit through Discover Card Cash Back. But I got a Visa gift card from a friend for my birthday a couple of weeks ago. I spent the whole thing ($50) plus some at Woodcraft picking up some cool odds and ends for woodworking. It goes fast.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #23

I have a gift card issue of a different nature. I saw a PayPal offer for iTunes cards @20% off. I figured I'd buy to give to DD. Ordered the $100 card, paid, and got a note from PP saying they had technical problems and couldn't deliver. I called, complained, then cancelled (or so I thought). Saw another 20% off offer from OfficeMax, ordered 3@$50 (one for me).

Took OM over a week and a half to fulfill the 3 day delivery, turns out PayPal never cancelled. After two more calls to PayPal they said sorry for the misunderstanding, emailed the card, and refused to credit. OfficeMax said they couldn't stop the shipment or refund (it's on the truck). So I'm sitting here with $250 in iTunes credits I bought as gifts but never gave.

Oh, and DD's gift? Uh, she drove down to visit, we saw her tires were so bald you could almost see the air, so we decided to get her new tires for Christmas. In the 2 years we've had iPad and iPhones I've spent around $15 at the App Store, and most of that was for my granddaughter.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought myself this battery charger for Christmas. Supposedly it's the best one out there - it makes rechargeable batteries last longer and can even "refresh" ones that aren't working so well any more.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Happy not to get any gift cards, but gave niece and nephew Costco cards (they both have set up housekeeping). For several others I went to a butcher and bought multiple smaller gift chits - that will allow the recipient to buy whatever kind and cuts of meat they want in whatever size purchase amount they wish. Butcher really wasn't set up with gift cards, but does offer local grown hormone & antibiotic free meat.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I got none. Finally something that I missed from Megacorp, my last manager used to send each of his team a $25 gift card for Christmas. Wasn't anything he could expense, so it was appreciated. Oh well nobody's made me w*rk 25 hours straight since I left, that's a better gift.
MRG

Edit to disguise the 4 letter word I used.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I got a $100 gift card for Williams-Sonoma. Along with my 40% employee discount for my seasonal fun j*b, it got me a beautiful All Clad pan.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

A really practical item from Amazon is one of those Oral B electric toothbrushes with the inserts. Very dull but saves a lot of pain at the dentist office ... real pain and wallet pain. I like the kind that has a recharge stand and built in timer that forces one to brush for 2 minutes if they listen for the beeps.

I didn't get a gift card but we gave one to our son. I did get a nice cold weather running shirt and have used it too. It has little thumb holes for warming your hands pulling it over your knuckles. My family knows I'm a big Amazon affection-ado and buy all kinds of things for myself and others there. They have a tough time figuring out what to get me.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudd View Post
I bought myself this battery charger for Christmas. Supposedly it's the best one out there - it makes rechargeable batteries last longer and can even "refresh" ones that aren't working so well any more.
I've had one of those for a few years now. It works well. Being able to charge each battery individually is a big plus.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #30

We got $50 in gift cards for Outback Steakhouse. Not my favorite for steaks, but hey....it's free!
Old 12-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

My mother gives me and DW a $100 gift card each to Nordstroms every year. We don't shop Nordstroms normally. About mid summer I always say that I'll gently let her know we don't shop there but it never happens. We struggle finding something there but it always gets spent. We are waiting a few months this year to let the store restock after the holiday.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
My mother gives me and DW a $100 gift card each to Nordstroms every year. We don't shop Nordstroms normally. About mid summer I always say that I'll gently let her know we don't shop there but it never happens. We struggle finding something there but it always gets spent. We are waiting a few months this year to let the store restock after the holiday.
Maybe see if Nordstroms has a rack of gift cards and buy an Amazon(=anything) card with the Nordstroms card? you might take a slight hit if Nordstroms charges a few bucks for selling you a $100 Amazon card, but Amazon is pretty darn useful.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I have a gift card issue of a different nature.
Talking Heads - And She Was, Nothing But Flowers, City Of Dreams, Wild Wild Life
Beck - Tropicalia, Cold Brains, Teenage Wastebasket, Lost Cause, Nightmare Hippie Girl
David Lindley - El Rayo-x, Mercury Blues (with Jackson Brown), Talk to The Laywer
Alexi Murdoch - Blue Mind, Song For You
Barenaked Ladies - Crazy, I Love You, Jane
Brian Eno/David Byrne - Everything That Happens Will Happen Today (whole album)
Joni Mitchell - Cold Blue Steel And Sweet Fire
Amy Rigby - Don't Ever Change, Downside Of Love
Eleni Mandell - A Possibility, Somebody Else
Psapp - Part Like Waves
Paul McCartney - Take It Away
Paula Frazer - Always In My Mind
Holly Cole - Saturday Night (Deep In The Heart Of)
Robert Wyatt - Heaps Of Sheep
Stephen Duffy and The Lilac Time - Bank Holiday
Mannheim Steamroller - Fresh Aire (most of the album) 'Musak'
Old 12-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #34

Quote:
Do you have a Nordstrom Rack store? It's a Nordstrom clearance store with lower prices.
Nordstrom Rack

My MIL would send me scented soap (grapefruit, kiwi, jasmine, raspberry) every year. I have no sense of smell and I know she knows this. DH has a super sniffer and dislikes many scents so I had a collection of these in a sealed box in the back of a closet. Finally, DH took them to Goodwill. When you make a donation you get a coupon for 20% off your next purchase. Oh, boy!
Old 12-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #35

I got Lands End and also LL Bean gift cards for Christmas. Also a gift card to a local restaurant I favor during the w*rk week. I will definitely have no problems spending them.

Amazon sells so many things. I think that is a great gift card to give (or receive). I have Amazon Prime shipping and probably get a delivery once or twice a month.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I sell my unwanted gift cards on ebay .
Old 12-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
We got $50 in gift cards for Outback Steakhouse. Not my favorite for steaks, but hey....it's free!
You should also be able to use it at Carrabba's, Fleming's Steak House, Bonefish Grill, and some place called Roy's.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
You should also be able to use it at Carrabba's, Fleming's Steak House, Bonefish Grill, and some place called Roy's.
I know there is or used to be a Carrabba's here. Not so sure about the others, though. If the Carrabba's is still around, we might try it.