Join Early Retirement Today

Gift card question
Old 12-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
Administrator

Gift card question

Gift cards... did you get one? If so, what do you plan to buy with it?

I got a $50 Amazon gift card from my daughter, but she also bought me the video game "Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" which was what I would have bought with the gift card.

Consequently I am stumped, and completely out of ideas! I thought it might be fun and interesting to hear what others are buying with their gift cards.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just ordered yesterday:

Stylus for my tablet
Antiglare screen protector for my tablet
Latest book by Martin Cruz Smith

All of that came to $46, I'll save the other $4 for something else later.

-- Rita

Old 12-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I got a $25 Amazon card.... I'll probably look for golf balls.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #4

Coffee...lots of it!
Old 12-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #5

Yep. Big Sis always sends gift cards - never to anyplace I shop (especially since I don't shop on-line.) Can you say "re-gifting"?

Next year I am going to do something I have promised myself I would do for a long time. I'm going to buy her a goat. Yes, a real goat - in her name - to a charity of MY choice in Africa or the Middle East. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Got a $50 gift card from Dicks Sporting good. Not sure what I will buy but seeing I play golf, probably something in that dept.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Got a $100 prepaid Visa debit card as a retirement gift. That is what you get when people have no idea what you'd like. And it is perfect for me since I will probably spend it at the big-box store :-)

Amethyst
Old 12-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #8

I'll hang on to mine until something catches my eye.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Yep. Big Sis always sends gift cards - never to anyplace I shop (especially since I don't shop on-line.) Can you say "re-gifting"?

Next year I am going to do something I have promised myself I would do for a long time. I'm going to buy her a goat. Yes, a real goat - in her name - to a charity of MY choice in Africa or the Middle East. YMMV
Now that's a gift I would really enjoy if it were given to me. I have no interest in receiving material items from people in spite of their desires to keep giving them to me. And those snack baskets full of processed food items that give you beautifully wrapped 1 ounce portions of food along with several trees worth of packaging drive me nuts.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #10

MIL sent us gift cards to Olive Garden, $50 each. They are also good for Bahama Breeze, Red Lobster and Longhorn Steakhouse. It will be nice to go out to eat for "free" except for the tip.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #11

I got $75 in Amazon gift cards plus a $20 gift card from Amazon when DH's Christmas present didn't arrive on 12/24.

This is what he had ordered for me:

Amazon.com: Olloclip 4-in-1 Lens Solution for iPhone 5/5s - RED/Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

I've spent $45 of that on Amazon kindle books.

I'm in no danger of not being able to spend it. We buy a lot of stuff (not just books) from Amazon.

This is what I bought DH from Amazon:

Amazon.com - Oregon Scientific BAR208HGA Advanced Weather Station with Atomic Time

But some of the things we've bought from Amazon just in the last few months (not counting Kindle books):

Amazon.com: Barbie Collector 2013 Holiday Doll: Toys & Games
(Christmas present for my mother)

CDN DTQ450X ProAccurate Quick-Read Thermometer : Amazon.com : Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com: Fellowes Powershred 100-Percent Jam Proof 79Ci 14 Sheet Cross-Cut Paper Shredder (3227901): Electronics

Amazon.com: Logitech G700s Rechargeable Gaming Mouse: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Quicken Deluxe 2014 [Download]: Software

Amazon.com: TurboTax Deluxe Fed + Efile 2013 with Refund Bonus Offer [Download]: Software

This doesn't even count the Elf ears that my son bought for a costume....
Old 12-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Gift cards... did you get one? If so, what do you plan to buy with it?

I got a $50 Amazon gift card from my daughter, but she also bought me the video game "Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" which was what I would have bought with the gift card.

Consequently I am stumped, and completely out of ideas! I thought it might be fun and interesting to hear what others are buying with their gift cards.
Your gift card will never expire, so just apply the card to your account, and then wait until you think of something you want!
Old 12-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #13

Didn't get one. Gave a bunch though.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I got one for our local independent coffee house, so it'll all get spent there. We also both got a checks from family, we'll spend that on our NYE dinner out. Yes, boring...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #15

MIL gave me gift cards from Subway and Jimmy Johns a few weeks ago after I detailed her car. Can never go wrong with food cards.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Got $1250 in Rewards Cards from our PenFed Visa this past week. Will use for groceries & gas.

No "splurging" on things we would not otherwise have bought ---- money is money regardless of the source.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

If you really don't have any use for a gift card, you can always sell it (at a discount).

giftcardgranny.com is a popular exchange for this.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
Administrator

These are all great ideas! Keep 'em coming.

Several of the above posts are so creative, and present ideas that I had never thought of and that really appeal to me.

But no, I'm not gonna SELL it, Braumeister! Nope, not this gift card.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #19

I accumulate gift cards from various people throughout the year but it often takes many months for me to use them. Right now, I have one for TGIFridays, Barnes & Noble, and $2 left on a Regal Movies chain card.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #20

I got a $50 gift card to our local chocolatier, William Dean, from my BIL and SIL at Thanksgiving because they were not going to be in Florida over Christmas.

I used it right after Thanksgiving and again last week. I think something is wrong with it because it did not appear to have reduced by the previous purchase. I have to go in and see them about what is going on.

My perpetual chocolate gift card!

I sent a $100 Visa gift card to a friend with MS on SSI who lives very close to the edge financially. She was very happy which made me feel really good!