Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
Love: gift cards from places I already patronize (Trader Joes, REI, BB&B) Restaurants are the exception - those are always nice

Not thrilled with at all: gift cards from places I don't even know the location of! Have two gift cards several years old (still holding full face value - I do check) for Pottery Barn. I'd love the $250 in cash, but cannot cash them in!

No,but you can sell them on ebay and they usually go for close to the face value .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2007, 01:06 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
No,but you can sell them on ebay and they usually go for close to the face value .
Soooo - the card recipient has to go through gyrations to get close to the face value out of the card. Still not getting how this is more thoughtful than a nice card with cash and a note saying "dinner & drinks are on me".

For some reason just flashed on cousin Eddie in the Griswold's Christmas Vacation going shopping with Clark (on Clark's dime) and telling him how grateful he is and that he wants Clark to get himself something "really nice" in appreciation for all he's done.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:36 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I don't get the whole concept.

I hand you a $100 bill/gift card and you hand me a $100 bill/gift card and we both say "Merry Christmas" and we've somehow accomplished something?
Old 12-12-2007, 02:14 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I love to give and receive gift cards/certificates. When asked, dh and I give suggestions of our favorite resturants, dh loves oil change cards.

I love buying gift cards for someone to a place I know they frequent, it also makes giving gifts to the grandchildren (teenagers) a lot easier than shopping for them and they seem to love them. I dislike giving plain ole Walmart or Target GCs, unless a person would really like that (like my SIL). I try to put some thought into what that person would like and I always give them enough to purchase something reasonable. Last year for the girls it was Victoria Secrets, boy were they surprised when the opened them.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #25

There is a downside to giving "what the person asks for." Years ago, shortly after she got married, one of my friends casually asked her new hubby if he thought she was gaining weight. (Danger ahead!!!)

He didn't answer directly, but for Christmas that year -- their first as a married couple -- every gift from him was related to weight loss: exercise tapes and equipment, diet books, etc. He really went all out and spent a bundle. Unfortunately, she was hoping for jewelry so she was crushed; meanwhile he was confused cause he thought he got her exactly what she wanted.

Harbinger of things to come...by year three, they were divorced.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:18 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post

I hand you a $100 bill/gift card and you hand me a $100 bill/gift card and we both say "Merry Christmas" and we've somehow accomplished something?
The idea is that you'll use it for something special for yourself that you wouldn't have spent your own money on.

Say I'm a tightwad who won't buy anything for myself. I gave you $100 because you're a friend and I want you to do whatever you want with it. You gave me $100 with the same understanding. Since this isn't $100 of my own money, I splurge on something exotic, and enjoy it guilt-free.

That's the idea.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

And more of the idea is there is an *intentional* thinking of the other person, an intentional *caring* enough for the other person to make an effort to give a gift to them.

A "stop the world, forget everything else" moment when, by the simple exchange of gifts, you and the other person tell each other you care for them and they mean something to you.

That is what is accomplished.

Or you could each ignore the other, and each keep your own $100. You are both the losers that way. (Not to mention, you probably wouldn't feel the "sense of freedom" to get something special, do something nice, for yourself with that $100, as you feel when someone who cares about you gifts it to you).
Old 05-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #28

Quite some time ago, SIL's computer wouldn't stay connected to the net. Don't remember if it was a new ISP or a new computer. I spent 2 or 3 hours over there looking at it while DW and her chatted. Did not accomplish the mission that night, but came home armed with exact model numbers of the computer, network interface, and modem. The next day I did some research, sent her some settings to change and that fixed it. In appreciation she sent me a $50 Amex debit card to use -- what the industry calls a "stored value" card. Very nice! Unfortunately it sat until a couple of days ago. I called in for the remaining balance and the agent told me its residual value was $5.95! When DW tried to squeeze what we thought was the the remaining $5.95 out of it yesterday it was rejected. :confused:

Well, it is my own fault. Lesson learned.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Right on.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:22 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't typically give gift cards when exchanging gifts with family and friends.

But I do buy and give them to people I don't know well enough to choose a personal gift for. An example is a thank you to my kids' (volunteer) soccer coach for a great season (usually a restaurant gift card) or to the kids' teachers at Christmas and end-of-school-year (usually starbucks or target).

Charlotte
Old 05-17-2008, 09:01 AM   #31

We've given and received them, but only for a specific person who we know will use it and has an interest in the products that store sells. As someone said, give a Camping World GC to someone who you know has a interest in camping but you don't know what gear they already have or may want. So that indicates some thought went into it.

DW frequently helps out her SIL with child care issues and SIL will often give us a GC for what she knows is a favorite restaurant (Bavarian Inn Shepherstown WV) in appreciation. Those GCs do NOT gather dust!

At a reunion dinner we go to every year there is a drawing for raffle prizes, and someone had given a GC for a grocery store - not a bad idea I think since everyone buys food. We bought few nice steaks with it. Many bring bottles of wine, which is a white elephant to someone who doesn't partake of the nectar of the Gods.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:41 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ditto here...what's the point? You either take the time to give something the other person wants, or nothing at all. What ever happened to 'it's the thought that counts' (which obviously excludes gift cards)?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Where gift cards are a prized commodity
Old 05-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #33

Where gift cards are a prized commodity

I've participated in a number of "Secret Santa" gift exchanges.

Rules vary a bit, but typically everyone brings a wrapped gift of a certain value, say $20 or less. Participants draw numbers from a hat and choose gifts in that order. Typically, a person (with any number greater than 1) can either pick an unwrapped gift from the pile or 'steal' an unwrapped gift from a person who had a lower number. The person whose gift was stolen, then gets to either choose another unwrapped gift or steal from someone else. There's usually a limit to the number of times any one gift can be stolen.

In these situations, I've been amazed at how often the gift cards become the 'hot' gift. I've seen it happen for all types of gift cards (Starbucks, Best Buy, Home Depot, Borders) at a variety of different price points ($10 to $75).

omni