Gift for man - good idea or not?

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I want to give a male relative a gift, but don't want to hurt his pride. He is a tea drinker who is currently boiling water in a saucepan on the stove to make tea. I know this because I stayed at his home for a couple of days. I would like to send him an electric kettle as a gift in token of his hospitality.

He is divorced, currently low on funds (although highly responsible) and living very frugally. Do you think he could be offended by this gesture? I want to give something useful, but don't want to imply "poor guy, you can't afford a kettle." Because he could, if he wanted.

I met his girl friend and she is terrific. I thought of waiting and making the kettle a wedding gift, but they are not even engaged yet.

Amethyst

I think that would be a fine gift, nothing to hurt pride, just a thanks. A friend gave me a little coffee grinder for Christmas (I'd just never thought to buy one myself), and I love it.

Electric kettles are wonderful. Many in the US don't know about them. I think it would be a fine gift, and can be presented as a thank you.

I think either an electric or stove top tea kettle would be a wonderful gift. We have a stainless steel stove top kettle that is almost a permanent fixture on our stove top.

I think it's a great idea. I would go for the steel stovetop kettle myself. But whether electric or stovetop, I'd be surprised if he'd be offended. It's a nice gesture.

There are many things that I wouldn't buy for myself that I really, really wish I would get as a gift. Many people don't "waste money" on themselves even for items they dream of having.

We got DS (also a tea drinker) an electric kettle in college. He loves it and now keeps it at his office desk where he makes his morning tea.

You are sending this as a "thank you" gift for his hospitality, right? Why would he think you are thinking "poor him"?
Not a tea drinker but does it really matter what you boil water in as long as it's clean?

Do you think he could be offended by this gesture?
It's vaguely possible; people have been offended by a lot less, but I doubt it.

I always tohught that the best gift was something the recipient wouldn't buy for him/herself yet would really enjoy. A good gift can introduce someone to something they otherwise wouldn't have experienced. Of course, it's a bit hit and miss - you might buy a thoughtful and fantastic gift for someone, only to find that they never use it. But for those times when a gift like this is used and enjoyed, it makes the whole idea of taking that chance well worth it, in my opinion.

I vote for giving him the electric kettle!

When I moved to the U.S. From Ireland (where tea consumption is the third highest in the world) I was shocked to find that nobody had a kettle! Back then (the 1980s) kettles were hard to find in the U.S. I think tea drinking is more popular in the U.S. than it used to be. An electric kettle is by far the most efficient and convenient way to boil water for tea (or other uses) and I think any dedicated tea drinker would love to receive one as a gift. My electric kettle sits on a base, so that the kettle itself has no electric wires. I think that is the safest type. You might think about including some gourmet teas with the kettle to make it more of a special gift.

Put a saucepan of water on a burner or gas flame, wait till it boils, lift it (sputtering and possibly splashing you with scalding drops) and pour from a saucepan into a teapot or mug...it's not the most convenient way.

Not a tea drinker but does it really matter what you boil water in as long as it's clean?

Good idea. DD has one and I like using it. At home I just microwave a mug of water, then plop the tea bag into it.

I love electric kettles as long as they have the removal jug so you don't have to mess with wires. Another advantage is that they have an auto shut off when the water boils so little chance of filling the room with steam or the stovetop pan/kettle boiling dry.

I think it would make a good gift.

I love my electric kettle, too.

I'm not a guy, but I have some thoughts about this gift. Is the price appropriate for the situation? Some of these kettles are pretty expensive (so of course I chose one like that :rolleyes:). If it costs a whole lot, would he think that you were hitting on him? (blush) Well, just something to think about.

(Edited to add: Oh, oops! I didn't see that he was a relative. Well this post is worthless! Sorry.)

Knowing what guys think is beyond my capabilities, so I don't have an answer to that question.

Last edited:
I think an electric kettle would be a lovely gift for someone who has been hospitable to you. It's better than flowers.

I think an electric kettle would be a lovely gift for someone who has been hospitable to you. It's better than flowers.

What he said.

It is not so expensive an item that few could afford it so I don't see how it could be interpreted as "poor him". Just a thoughtful hospitality gift.

In the situation you described, it sounds like it would be a thoughtful and appreciated gift. In my case (older and trying to declutter), I've told everyone "if I can't eat it or drink it, I don't want it". I was hoping for some high-end spirits, but now I've got the world's best collection of hot sauces.

It's funny. After a visit together to England, where we discovered the glories of electric kettles, Mom and I each gave the other an electric kettle for Xmas. It was pretty funny unwrapping presents!

I think it is something most frugal people wouldn't buy for themselves, so it makes a nice gift.

We much prefer electric to stovetop. Our kitchen has not been without an electric kettle since - over 20 years now. We even had a cheapo one for the RV.

The electric kettle is our most used appliance. We use it for both coffee and tea. If we didn't have one, then we would definitely appreciate it as a gift.

Thanks everyone! A kettle is on order and will be accompanied by my favorite lemon ginger mate herbal tea. :)

Amethyst

Thanks everyone! A kettle is on order and will be accompanied by my favorite lemon ginger mate herbal tea. :)

Amethyst

I love lemon ginger tea!
I'm sure your relative will appreciate this thoughtful gift.

Back
Top Bottom