Join Early Retirement Today

Gift ideas-- 60th Wedding Anniversary
Old 10-11-2015, 01:56 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Gift ideas-- 60th Wedding Anniversary

We are invited to a party to celebrate our neighbor's 60th Anniversary, and I need some gift ideas.

They live in a small house and don't need/have room for any "stuff". A gift card for dinner out seems like a good idea, but it's a rural area with limited options so if most guests have the same idea the couple will have 20+ gift cards to the same one or two places. Plus, since money is tight for the happy couple, they aren't in the habit of going out to eat and I'm not sure if they really enjoy it.

What I suspect would be most useful would be a gift card to the supermarket or Walmart :cringe: or cash. None of those feel appropriate for a 60th anniversary.

Any ideas?
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In my opinion, gift cards are always appropriate if you don't know what they would like. I'd much prefer to receive a gift card than some other gift I don't want and won't use.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:14 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

What about something consumable, like a nice gift basket with gourmet foods in it, or a bottle of nice wine if they are drinkers?
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:20 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

My parents didn't quite reach their 60th, but when they were in that vicinity, they would have loved anything anyone gave them - just for the thoughtfulness.

That said, they would have liked the gift card to the local grocery store. Those gift cards didn't exist back then, but I know they would have liked it. The Wal-mart gift card would have gone over well,too. When money is tight, you appreciate ways to help stretch it out.

They also would have liked it if someone offered to do some chore for them, that they otherwise would've hired out. Cleaning, repairing, yardwork.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:23 PM   #5

I have gifted car wash gift cards, supermarket cards, restaurant cards, gas cards, theater tix, movie tix, book store gift cards, etc. The recipients seemed thrilled ...as 1) they are things they would have [likely, eventually] paid for themselves and/or 2) it didn't add to the "stuff' they already had too much of.

I gifted a $20 grocery store gift card in the Christmas card I gave to the retired couple across the street. Unbidden, they've called me while I was traveling to let me know the snow removal guy had not been promptly clearing my drive & walks, so I wanted to show my appreciation. The next time I saw them, they were excitedly telling me the fun they were having in discussing and deciding what to buy with it. It seemed as though the little "extra" to spend really made a fun diversion for them.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:25 PM   #6

Or you could just do it the old-fashioned way, an envelope with a card and cash. Or a Visa or M/C gift card they can spend anywhere.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

$60 (get it?) Walmart gift card, if that's where they likd to shop, imo would be a very nice gift for your neighbors.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:09 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Yes, my parents did that with money gifts as well. I think it was less that they couldn't afford stuff themselves (although money was tight for them), and more the politeness of telling the giver exactly how the gift was used and appreciated. With a sweater, you tell the giver how you enjoyed wearing it on the first chilly day. With a money gift, you tell the giver how you decided to spend the money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
I aving in discussing and deciding what to buy with it. It seemed as though the little "extra" to spend really made a fun diversion for them.

omni
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:47 PM   #9

Thanks everyone. After reading your suggestions and anecdotes, I am leaning towards either a gift card to the supermarket or cash. Probably cash.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:02 PM   #10

I also wanted to say that some of the other suggestions were very good for typical situations, but just won't work for this particular couple.

I like the idea to do a chore or repair, but the man in this case hires himself out as a handyman.

Gift baskets of gourmet / speciality foods or wine are good ideas for many people, but not our neighbors. They don't drink, eat simple foods and are set in their ways.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
I like the idea to do a chore or repair, but the man in this case hires himself out as a handyman.
In that case, tell them that you would like to buy his services for X hours to "sit back, relax, and enjoy the moment with his wife".