Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I want to buy some women I supervise a token gift but not food and very cheap. I am thinking Poinsettia plants for their desk. One women is dieting, one being tested for diabetes and one too skinny from bad nerves another is a temp working with two of the others so a plant for each office is 3 plants for 4 women or I could get the temp her own plant to take home. The plants will be dead by New Years since we get 4 holidays where the offices will not be heated. Nothing to regift or worry about keeping around not to hurt feelings. They could take them home, I don't care, it is the thought that counts.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What does everyone (OP included of course!) think of the gift which consists of a card, stating that the giver has given "in your name" 1/8 of a cow (or something) to a 4th world village?

On the one hand, charitable giving is always good.

On the other, is it really a gift? You didn't pick the charity, may or may not care about the cause, and the giver gets the tax write-off, which makes it slightly self-serving.

Just wondering if this is a good option for OP to consider.

Amethyst

Old 12-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
What does everyone (OP included of course!) think of the gift which consists of a card, stating that the giver has given "in your name" 1/8 of a cow (or something) to a 4th world village?

On the other, is it really a gift? You didn't pick the charity, may or may not care about the cause, and the giver gets the tax write-off, which makes it slightly self-serving.

Amethyst
I'm a volunteer at an animal shelter and we get lots of donations where the donor is giving it in someone else's honor. The most frequent reason is the death of a friend or relative's pet but we also get "gift" donations for many other reasons. We sure do appreciate these funds and always send a nice letter to let people know money has been donated in their honor or in the memory of a loved one - human or pet.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I've had the same thought. It's perhaps even less beneficial to the recipient than a note such as, "Happy Day! I've paid my taxes this year in your name to help fund your (pick one) social security / unemployment benefits / food stamps / etc. You're welcome!"
Old 12-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst

Amethyst
Sometimes it is the gift that keeps on giving with solitications. Personally I'd rather just dispense with the gift giving and make my own charity donations but not in others' names.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Sometimes it is the gift that keeps on giving with solitications. Personally I'd rather just dispense with the gift giving and make my own charity donations but not in others' names.
Bestwife, It's wonderful you make charity donations. However, some people like to donate in the name of others. As the treasurer of our small charity group one of my responsibilities is to handle these donations and send out acknowledgement letters and cards to donors and those they wish to honor with their donations. When someone's pet dies often folks take some comfort in knowing a donation was made to the shelter where that beloved animal came from - to perhaps save another deserving dog, cat or other companion animal. These letters often bring tears to my eyes.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #27

I have a bottle of Zinfandel Sangria.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #28

If someone wants to donate to a charity in my name, I wish they would ask me to whom I would like to donate the gift. I have specific charities I like, for example, animal shelters, or where I work. I didn't appreciate the time I received a gift for Christmas of $50 to the giver's own alumni organization in another state. I thought that was a bit strange.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #29

I like to gift consumables also. I've given 4 of the 45 bottles of my homebrew already, and still need to make 19 wine stoppers.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I like to gift consumables also. I've given 4 of the 45 bottles of my homebrew already, and still need to make 19 wine stoppers.
Please include me on your gift list. I'll make a donation to the charity of your choice in return
Old 12-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

A nice way to present a gift of a bottle of wine is to combine it with a medium size cheese block or ball and some fresh grapes, all tucked into a wicker basket with a nice big bow.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:27 AM   #32

DW & I are volunteers with a large organization that provides animals to families to help them become sustainable. Just today we were at a church 'Alternate Chriatmas Fair'. We find ourselves and many others already have too much stuff. We know the reciepients preferences (growing plants or bees for the vegetarians). Now for the kids & grand kids they get gifts & a donation but we think it is good that everyone shares at this season and through the year. Older son's wife has MS and we always make donations to related groups durning the year. But for younger kids combining physical gifts and charity seems like a good idea to us.