Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-04-2015, 02:40 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I've observed that kids that have sweated to get a car tend to take better care.
I'm sure that's what my father had in mind when he bought the junkyard car for me. In addition to the initial transmission replacement I had to do all the maintenance/repairs on it, which was possible with a VOM and decent set of tools on a 1956 Plymouth with no "black boxes". We'd rebuilt two car engines so I knew how to do it by age 15.

It worked, too. I did not abuse that car because I knew I'd be the one fixing anything that broke.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2015, 12:55 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We helped our kids with college and gave the a used car upon graduation.

One took a newer Nissan 240SX on lease from GL Capital Leasing and we paid for the lease for 4 years. The other took my old Mazda RX7 and the balance in cash. Since then they have received no financial help.

I am contributing to their kids college. And they received an inheritance from their uncle.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:05 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

A key goal for my wife and I was to help our kids develop financial sense and personal independence. With that in mind, our kids all earned money to buy their own cars and paid fully to buy the cars themselves.

Each bought older cars in high school / college days. They learned to find reasonable buys, do basic maintenance and repairs on them. I would help them in the learning process and assist in work they didn't know how to do but let them do the majority of actual work involved. Daughter even changed out a camshaft on one engine on a car she particularly wanted to keep.

We (parents) recognized the kids couldn't manage all the costs of owning a car so we chose to pay all insurance costs associated with "good driving". If their insurance went up due to tickets / wrecks (only one of three children had this), they paid the additional amount over the base amount we paid.

Occasionally we also found other ways to help financially without interfering with our goal. For example, buying tires as a birthday present when we weren't happy with the condition of tires on one kids car but recognized they couldn't afford new ones. Or when one child wanted to buy an older car from us that we felt would need a new transmission soon, we agreed on the blue book purchase price....then after the deal was done, we gave back $1000 with the agreement the kid would bank that money for future transmission if needed. When the time came, the kid found a rebuilt transmission for a couple hundred and got to pocket the rest (yea!).

The above worked out very well for us and our kids and was a fun learning process.
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:49 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not exactly the same but I gave my brother 2 cars, because he was always having bad luck with cars. First one a '62 VW split window bus, a real classic, hit a deer and endoed the bus. Second a '67 VW Squareback, another classic, center punched a light pole.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting thread.

DW drove one of her parents old cars during high school and college. But bought her own as soon as she graduated and had a job. I bought my own used car when I turned 16 and never had any hand-me-downs.

We have 2 kids. When DS first started driving in high school, we bought him a used SUV. It had 85K miles and we paid a little over $5K. The car was titled in our name and we paid insurance, but he paid for all gas and maintenance from working part time.

He went off to college and lived on campus with no car for the first 2 years. The SUV went to DD who had started driving in high school around the same time. Same arrangement, we paid insurance, but she worked PT for gas money and any maintenance. She also went off to college and had no car while living on campus.

By that time DS had moved off campus and needed a car. We didn't want him driving long distances in the old SUV. So we bought him a new car but with lots of conditions attached, like maintaining a certain GPA and graduating on time with a job. The new car was also registered in our name, and again, we paid insurance, while he paid for gas and maintenance. He graduated 5 years ago, but still drives the same car. It's still in our name and under our insurance, but he reimburses us for the insurance cost. Much cheaper for him that way.

DD continued driving the old SUV for a while after she moved off campus. We eventually sold it and bought her a new car on same conditions... good GPA and graduate on time with a job. She graduated 3 years ago, still drives the new car, and same insurance arrangement as DS.

Eventually, we will transfer the titles to them and kick them off the insurance. But for now, this is much cheaper for them and both cars are still in great shape.

So basically, each kid got a new car as an incentive for doing well in college and graduating on time with a job. And they shared an old SUV during high school. We also paid their tuition throughout college, and housing as long as they were on campus. Otherwise, they paid all their living expenses from PT jobs. I think this was a good balance that taught them financial responsibility, while also allowing them to get in and out of college quickly and off to a great start after graduation.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:24 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Not exactly the same but I gave my brother 2 cars, because he was always having bad luck with cars. First one a '62 VW split window bus, a real classic, hit a deer and endoed the bus. Second a '67 VW Squareback, another classic, center punched a light pole.
He had bad "luck"-- one car hit a deer, one car hit a light pole.
Were these self-driving cars?
Sounds like when I was a kid and told my mom "the lamp broke."
I'm just joshing you, and I certainly hope your brother wasn't hurt. But this kind of sentence construction is something that tends to stand out to me when I hear it.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:25 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
But this kind of sentence construction is something that tends to stand out to me when I hear it.
In Spanish use in Mexico, all the constructs are impersonal. The lamp broke. The car got damaged. Drives me nuts.