Join Early Retirement Today

Gifting cars to your kids.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:38 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Gifting cars to your kids.

Ever since my daughter learned to drive in high school, she has been getting hand me down cars thru the years, and it stopped when I ER.
The following were given to her thru the years.
Subaru Legacy Wagon 7 years old when given
Toyota Corolla Brand new, in college. Got it back to trade to a new car for us.
Toyota Camry 8 years old when sold at a lost to my son in law.
Subaru Forester XT 5 years old when given.
Nissan Altima, 7 years old when given.

I'm done with that, and said, they should pay for their own. They have very good jobs, and I'm tired of subsidizing their vehicles. Looking back, it was amazing how much we have given her.
How about you??

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2015, 04:43 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Each of my kids got a hand me down car to wreck. And they did.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:47 PM   #3

I don't think i've ever received any gift that was even in the 4-figures. Of course your means are likely far greater than anyone in my family so if you can afford it then it's a nice thing to do. Personally, I would not gift anything that expensive to my kids until I was already FI then I would give what I could afford whether that's a couple hundred bucks for a birthday or a brand new house.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:55 PM   #4

Shortly before I turned 16 my father bought me a car. He paid $50 at the junkyard for it and I had to put the transmission in before I could drive it. Occasionally it needed a little TLC:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956_Plymouth.jpg (173.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 10-02-2015, 05:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post

We gave DS a very used but still serviceable Subaru when he finished college. Three years later I was in Bangalore on business and my phone rang at 5:30 AM. He'd been driving west in the evening and hadn't seen the SUV in front of him and he plowed into it. Thank God, he was just fine. Since he was working as a claims adjuster for people who totaled their cars, he needed very little hand-holding from us. He paid cash for a well-used Nissan and still has it 6 years later. Lesson learned, I guess.

He married a wonderful young woman who owned a new Nissan SUV and they use that to transport our granddaughter.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:23 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchwood View Post
....I'm done with that, and said, they should pay for their own. They have very good jobs, and I'm tired of subsidizing their vehicles. Looking back, it was amazing how much we have given her.
How about you??
How old are they? I agree, if they are financially independent they should be able to buy their own ride.

We subsidized DD through college. bought her a car when she got her license and then traded that car when it was dying for a new car for me and gave her the car I was then driving. So net, we really only bought her one car.

Ditto for DS... we bought him a car and when it was dying I traded it for a new car for me and gave him the car I was driving. Now he is on his own.

So net, bought one car for each and then later "upgraded" it.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #7

My dad gave my brother and me both cars when we turned 15, and we both wrecked them.

My very best financial lesson came from that, though, because when the Blazer I wrecked (and still drive afterward) blew an engine, he took me to pick out a brand new Jimmy, with only 22 miles on the odo.

Oh it was marvelous, until graduation day from high school and him handing me the payment book (remember those?). The payment was $314 and my rent on first apartment was $200, and he was paying me $5 an hour to work on the farm.

That particular math equation cured me of ever having a car payment again! So thanks for the lesson and the car (kinda), Dad!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:33 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Kids are not yet old enough... but son will get grandmas car when he goes off to college... he is driving it now, but it is not yet 'his'.... he got the car with 2K miles on it and it is only up to 12K and is 5 year old...

Daughter is still young... but will get my car when it comes time.... by then it will be over 10 years (heck, probably 13) and over 100K....

Nothing else will come from me to them...
Old 10-02-2015, 05:59 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

DW & I grew up just fine without our parents gifting us vehicles and we set the same expectations early on with both of our sons. Owning, operating & caring for automobiles is for responsible adults and are expensive propositions as well. Our kids took care of buying their own cars, own gas, own repairs & insurance. For a while, they resented the fact that their friends' parents seemed content to supply a vehicle for their children's use while we would not. OTH, both of our boys quickly became responsible, self-supporting adults and have thanked us for expecting them to be accountable at an early age.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:04 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We gave DD a Honda Civic when she got pregnant because they couldn't afford any car that we considered safe. She drove that for 8 years and 150K miles, and took excellent care of it (except for the stains babies cause in the backseat). She saved for years so that when the time came for a new car she'd be able to pay cash for it. Then when my Mom died last year she had a 2009 Forester with 8K miles on it. We didn't need it or the money from it, and DD is now a Girl Scout leader and gymnastics coach hauling girls around, so we gave it to her. She was thrilled. It felt like a nice thing to do.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:17 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post

My daughter was able to reach those high expectations also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #12

We didn't give the kids a car their first year in college. DD drove our old Geo Prizm for a year in college and then it went to DS for his second year of college. He is still driving it. I think it has about 200k miles now, six years later. DD drives a Prius inherited from DW. It has about 120k miles and she is very happy to have it.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #13

Both of our kids are going to get what I would consider a substantial sum of money when we are gone. We have given our daughter our last hand me down car. It seems to me we have a choice, give them the car, or trade it and give them the cash say ten or twenty years from now. Just seems like the car now makes more since.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

DS was given a new car at 16. When he graduated from college, he's working so we put it in his name. He loves it!
Old 10-02-2015, 09:18 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

We gave each of our kids a new car to keep and paid the gas and insurance until they graduated from college. They were and are most appreciative of the gesture.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:14 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our oldest two saved money from jobs until they could each buy a used car. Both of them were desperate to buy a car.

They were happy; we were happy.

Our third child--could not have cared less. He did not get his DL until age 19. DH and I were a bit worried and gifted him our 1998 Acura, which he still drives. He is now 26. We wonder if it will ever hit his radar he needs a newer car (creative writing major). Thinking, it may not.

As a side note, and i am not making this up. DH's sister (now 67) had never purchased a car. Their dad has gifted her every car she has ever owned. He is 92yo, so that may not go on that much longer. Strange, but I am in the family and know it to be a true story.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:28 PM   #17

My dad bought a used '65 Mustang with a bad paint job that we all drove. I drove it in med school and my first year of residency. It had all sorts of problems (including being stolen, bad radiator, broken into, broken horn, no radio) and I gladly returned it to dad when I could afford a new/newer car.

MIL gave us a 4 door sedan when FIL passed away. It was a help as we had our DS by then. then.

Our DS has had two cars-a hand me down Volvo when I bought my Prius, which nearly caught on fire(!) and we replaced it with a nearly new Camry. He'll get the title and the costs when he's done with college and on his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-02-2015, 10:39 PM   #18

When I was in HS, I bought my own vehicle. My mother would borrow it once in a while, as she did not even have a car.

She would actually drive it to her RN work at the hospital, which was across the street. The gate was on the other side of the block, but the door was only ~100 yards away from out house door.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:03 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
She would actually drive it to her RN work at the hospital, which was across the street. The gate was on the other side of the block, but the door was only ~100 yards away from out house door.
For goodness' sake, why? I'd love to be within walking distance of work. Granted, maybe not so much at my current worksite. I've seen the bullet holes in the lunchroom window.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:14 AM   #20

In 2005 we gave our 1990 Camry to our 18 year old son. It was still in our name. He got hit a few years later and the other driver's insurance company called it "totaled", although it was still driveable and we wanted to keep it.

I kept the insurance settlement in a bank account and when he needed a newer car in 2009 the money was his to use toward his next car.