Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2007, 10:39 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I am just wishing for better solutions and better lives for people in such pain.
i do not mean to imply that everyone who considers themselves to be jesus is really jesus, but could it be that sometimes what we consider to be a psychotic break might not simply be a shamanistic-type experience or simply a moment of realization gone awry which might be better handled through other means than hospitalization and drugs? while i recognize that some will be a danger to themselves and society if not medicated, perhaps others just need more information instead of more prescriptions.

my own family suffers a variety of psychiatric conditions. i've one cousin who suffers some form of what might be labeled psychosis but he has learned to function well enough in society as a "healer" and so-called tantric master. it won't earn much of a living but it gets him through a day.

my grandmother was manic depressive at a time when lithium was experimental. for a short period the drug was taken off the market during which time grandma killed herself. (her mother also killed herself though i don't have many details of greatgrandma's life.) mom utilized the services of psychiatrists & psychologists from when she was a little kid until alzheimer's took over. she took mood enhancers and sleeping pills as needed.

they tried to put me on some form of lithium when i was in my 20s. but instead, and with help, i learned to control my thinking sans the use of drugs. i didn't just suffer manic-depression, but also i was born as a lucid dreamer, conscious in my dreaming and so i could easily have wound up psychotic & hospitalized for life hadn't i the resources both internally and external to gather enough information & understanding to ground myself.

i suspect some are hospitalized simply because either they got lazy or others gave up on them. i suspect others become dependent upon the drugs and i am suspicious of a society which is so quick to administer them. i have learned through my own experience that even when we are born with a chemical imbalance, that simply by reaching further inside ourselves, we can learn to control and even fix what western drugs & hospitalization might only camouflage.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2007, 12:22 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
. . . but could it be that sometimes what we consider to be a psychotic break might not simply be a shamanistic-type experience or simply a moment of realization gone awry which might be better handled through other means than hospitalization and drugs?
Maybe this happens sometimes, but I don't think it is often. I agree with Rich--the over use of drugs is more frequent on the low end of the scale. When a person is truly psychotic, it is a frightening thing for them as well as those around them. The chemical imbalance these people are up against is generally not amenable to a "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" solution.
We understand very little about how the brain functions, and our treatments are still very crude. We're barely beyond the "apply leaches" phase. Progress is being made, but for now, unfortunately, many of these people can't be cured or restored to fully functional lives. All we can offer is something to make them more comfortable (and maybe it does more to comfort us than them).

Old 07-30-2007, 08:08 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Maybe this happens sometimes, but I don't think it is often. I agree with Rich--the over use of drugs is more frequent on the low end of the scale. When a person is truly psychotic, it is a frightening thing for them as well as those around them. The chemical imbalance these people are up against is generally not amenable to a "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" solution.
LZ - I think I am closer to Sam on this one than you, although I agree that we are too quick to turn to drugs for low level psych matters. On the other hand, I know a few families who refused to have their kids medicated for pretty severe (but not psychotic conditions) and the kids suffered for it (at least IMHO). On the other hand, my own case is one that worked out the way you described although I was borderline and could have had a bad outcome.

I was undiagnosed ADD as a kid. Always in trouble at school (fun trouble, not mean); flunked 5 subjects in junior year of HS; flunked out of college in freshman year; yet always got extremely high test scores. I ultimately got my s*** together and did very well throughout my work life - although it was always a struggle. About 5 years before I retired I was diagnosed with ADD so I gave Ritalin (Concerta) a shot. It made it easy to focus on work matters that normally were a real pain for me to deal with - certainly eased my final years of work.

Today I would probably have been medicated in grammar school. I have often wondered if it would have improved my life or if I was better off coping on my own rather than doping myself for 40 years. I don't know but I would say that any kid who is even more hyper than me (some of them really bounce off the walls) is going to profit from meds. Even in my borderline case, a flip of the dice could have tipped me over to jail or poverty. If I was my own parent I would vote for meds.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:20 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i think there are things we can learn from people with different mental issues...i think the "norming" part of psychology is the paradigm i knock my head against the most.

but that said, i agree that there are definitely people who endanger themselves or others if not properly cared for and often that means medication...however, wholly dismissing what they "see" , think or feel as a result of their condition(s) may be missing an opportunity to learn something...
Old 07-30-2007, 09:16 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I am glad that some other opinions have been posted. We do live in a society where a "magic pill to cure all ills" is thought of as the solution to many normal life situations. It is OK to feel sad sometimes, or be really happy when things are going well. And putting responsibility for your actions on others to "cure" you is not a solution as well.
As a 53 YO woman many women my age are on antidepressants. And High BP and cholesterol meds. And hormone therapy. Are they all needed? I am not a physician so I do not know. But some of us make it quite well with no meds for any reason.
I also can't judge those that fall so deeply into the pit of mental illness that they need help climbing out. I just feel lucky that I never was in that situation.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:24 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
could it be that sometimes what we consider to be a psychotic break might not simply be a shamanistic-type experience or simply a moment of realization gone awry which might be better handled through other means than hospitalization and drugs?
Kinda funny when you consider that about half of the people in our history books and about 85% of the characters in the bible would be promptly imprisoned or hospitalized and medicated in the modern era.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote