Giving pets baths

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Wow, getting that pet to do anything is a lot of heavy lifting.

I've only washed cats maybe 3 times in my whole life and I've owned dozens. Why are yours needing to be bathed so often? My sis had a Himalayan that required baths more often because he had bad skin and flea allergies. He tolerated it pretty well.

Even my dogs don't get baths very often, but I do have an awesome stainless steel wash tub on legs in my laundry room just for this purpose. When we built the house, I snagged a giant lab sink and made sure to design the room so it would fit.

I cannot imagine owning or bathing a snake.

I've only washed cats maybe 3 times in my whole life and I've owned dozens. Why are yours needing to be bathed so often? My sis had a Himalayan that required baths more often because he had bad skin and flea allergies. He tolerated it pretty well.

Even my dogs don't get baths very often, but I do have an awesome stainless steel wash tub on legs in my laundry room just for this purpose. When we built the house, I snagged a giant lab sink and made sure to design the room so it would fit.

Same here. I've rarely had to bathe my cats. I've given lots of baths to rescues, but they needed it in the worst way.

I do have one with allergies like your sis who has needed an occasional bath. In addition, my kitty who recently passed away became very weak and unable to groom himself the last few months of his life so I had to bathe him too. Man, I still miss that guy:(.

Seemed like a friendly snake.:blink: Fortunately, my lab rarely needs a bath. I guess from all the swimming he gets, he stays pretty clean. But he does get one at the vet when I board him. Going to do that later this week as I will gone for one night. So nice to get a bath out of the deal when he stays there.:)

Attachments

• 102.jpg
    102.jpg
    938.9 KB · Views: 2

My old man cat went through a bad digestive time - vet never figured it out, but the cat was suffering from , erm, anal leakage. Badly. like flies were crowding around acting like he was days old dead. He sure smelled - and pretty much looked the part. Cleaned him up a couple times and he made it through that spell. He's sitting on my lap purring now, but still looks terrible - at his age it's a matter of time.

Other cats were longhairs with less than fastidious dropping habits that would bring their droppings along with them, or horrible greaseball cats that just needed a bit of degreasing. We rarely bathe them - it was just an intro to the ssssnake video.

We never bathe our cats because cats and water usually don't mix well.

But our current cats like water more than any other cat we have ever owned. I often find our calico sitting under a dripping faucet. She also likes to walk around the tub while we shower. Our other cat sometimes uses her paw to scoop up water from her water bowl and then drinks from her paw...

Our new 5 month old kitty loves to go walk in the shower after you are done, he also sleeps in there sometimes. He comes running whenever he hears you turn on the water in any room.

He is a little dim with his litter habits: he doesn't dig a hole before he pees, so the puddle will often get on his foot and then he'll bring a little wet litter with him when he steps out, so I have to pick him up by the scruff of his neck and rinse his hind legs under the sink. He doesn't fight this at all.

One other bathroom habit of his: he will bite the toilet paper roll and rip chunks out of it until the entire center of the roll is down to the cardboard.

Oh, yeah, he likes to lick the bar soap, too. One time he did it with Dawn dish soap and started foaming at the mouth and for the next 10 minutes he kept running around the house all spaz and then he'd come running back crying to mom to fix it, haha.

he is not normal...

Cats will get used to being bathed if you start when they are young, just like they get used to being groomed and having their claws clipped. I have raised Persian cats in the past. They always have a bath before a show, and sometimes in between too.

Our new 5 month old kitty loves to go walk in the shower after you are done, he also sleeps in there sometimes. He comes running whenever he hears you turn on the water in any room.

New kitten? I'd say a picture is in order:D

I had a cat when I was single. I only tried to give her a bath once and I learned my lesson. I have a nice 3 inch scar on my thigh from that fiasco.:blush:

My dog gets bathed when she's groomed, by a groomer.

He is a little dim with his litter habits: he doesn't dig a hole before he pees, so the puddle will often get on his foot and then he'll bring a little wet litter with him when he steps out, so I have to pick him up by the scruff of his neck and rinse his hind legs under the sink. He doesn't fight this at all.

One other bathroom habit of his: he will bite the toilet paper roll and rip chunks out of it until the entire center of the roll is down to the cardboard.

Oh, yeah, he likes to lick the bar soap, too. One time he did it with Dawn dish soap and started foaming at the mouth and for the next 10 minutes he kept running around the house all spaz and then he'd come running back crying to mom to fix it, haha.

he is not normal...

Yes, please, a picture is definitely in order!

We have two adolescent cats right now (May and Pancake) who streak through the house like their tails are on on fire. The hallway has pawprints up to about 4 feet where they run down and miss the turn on the wood floors before tumbling into the wall and down the rest of the "L". Way better than watching the news, I tell ya!

I give my little dog a bath every month or so in the summer but less often in the cold weather unless he starts to get a funky doggy smell (when I will turn up the heat in the house and towel him off well after then wrap him in a blanket so he doesn't take a chill). I bathe him in the utility sink in my mudroom. When he needs his nails clipped I take him to a groomer...I cut into his predecessor's quick once and vowed to leave this job to the professionals. He is calm when I bathe him, nervous with a groomer. He is short-haired so easy to do. I would be afraid to get clawed up bathing a cat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom