------------------------------------
From Continental Airlines email to me:
------------------------------------
From: Continental Airlines, Inc. <Continental_Airlines_Inc@coair.com>
To: ____
Sent: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 8:33 am
Subject: Your flight on 11/05/2007

Dear Mr. ____:

You are a valued OnePass Silver Elite member and we work hard to meet your travel needs, while making sure that all Continental Airlines flights operate safely and on time. Unfortunately, there are times when even our best efforts cannot prevent a flight disruption.

Our records show that while traveling with us to Washington/ Reagan National, DC (DCA) on 11/05/2007 your baggage did not arrive on time. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this delay. Please be assured that we are reviewing the cause of this delay in order to prevent this type of inconvenience in the future.

We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you in the future.

Sincerely,

Garry Meckel
Manager, Baggage Resolution Service Center

--------------------------
My response to Mr. Meckel:
--------------------------

Dear Mr Meckel:

"Please be assured that we are reviewing the cause of this delay in order to prevent this type of inconvenience in the future."

I'm glad you consider me a valued Elite member. But that's the same thing you told me a couple of flights ago when one of my bags didn't arrive.

---------------------------
From Continental back to me:
---------------------------
This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.
Delivery to the following recipients failed.

Continental_Airlines_Inc@coair.com

FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

It's always nice when you're given special treatment.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:59 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It's always nice when you're given special treatment.
Yes, and I'm glad my bags are sent with a special sticker "Elite Access -- Special Handling." It not for those stickers, I might have to wait a couple of weeks to get them after my flight landed, instead of a couple of days.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:03 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Heartwarming. And people say customer service is dead!

I've been lucky I guess. 300 individual segments inthe last 3 years and only two late bags. Mostly US Air. The baggage guys at Charlotte are tops--several times I've had to dash across the airport and arrived just as the gate was closing, and my bags made it every time.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Heartwarming. And people say customer service is dead!

I've been lucky I guess. 300 individual segments inthe last 3 years and only two late bags. Mostly US Air. The baggage guys at Charlotte are tops--several times I've had to dash across the airport and arrived just as the gate was closing, and my bags made it every time.

You've been real lucky ! My experience with US air has been my luggage makes it more than I do .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:03 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

That's right up there with the calls to customer service where they say "your call is important to us" while leaving you on hold for an hour.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:27 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

These kinds of insincere customer service do more to make me not want to do business with a particular company than the original problem.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:30 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I only permanently lost bags twice. I never saw the one with the computer in it again. I got the one with the Tivo in it back with the lock missing. It was right after the tivo came out and my best guess is that nobody could figure out what it was and decided they didnt want to risk losing their jobs stealing something they couldnt use.

There is the matter of receiving a bag six hours after the flight. It appeared to have been thrown from the plane just prior to landing. I'd think it had been thrown into a lake due to everything being wet, but it must have been a hard impact because everything in the bag that wasnt clothing was broken into small bits.

On the customer service piece, I'm always amused to receive a "We're sort of sorry" letter that advises that the sending mailbox cannot receive replies or on replying that the sending mailbox is full. Both say "We Really Care".
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:46 AM   #9

Worst lost luggage experience: Checked in three bags for myself, DH and DD on a flight to New York. DD's bag arrived with the flight; my bag was delivered to NY hotel three days after arrival; DH's bag was permanently lost. Had to fight with Northwest for weeks on claim.

Best lost luggage experience: Two families, seven of us in all, flew to Dublin, Ireland, changing planes in London. We arrived in Dublin, but not one of our bags came with us. Found out later the bags were tagged to "Lisbon" not "London/Dublin". Bags were located and delivered to us within 12 hours...after British Airways provided each of us with a complementary toiletry kit (each holding about $50 worth of good stuff!) AND $150 each for "essentials".
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:56 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
You've been real lucky ! My experience with US air has been my luggage makes it more than I do .

LOVE IT.... but what if you are the really lucky one who gets neither...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #11

I flew for a living many moons ago.

I missed one flight.
My bags missed a different flight.

My favorate was I landed in Rochester, NY in August. I went to Avis counter to get my car. They had no cars. "But I had a reservation". "Sorry Mr ______, we are sold out". "But I made my reservation 4 weeks ago" (I had been going back and forth to Rochester for months). "Sorry Mr _____ there is a NASCAR race in Watkins Glen and all our cars are rented".

Anyone ever see that Seinfeld episode? That really happens.

I grew up in Rochester, so my dad came and picked me up, took me to his house, and took me back to airport the next evening to pick up a car.

I think Cincinnati's airport does a good job getting bags to where they need to be. I think Avis needs to learn what a reservation is.