Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-13-2015, 11:23 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
When I had an induction, cleaning up was a breeze. It was very easy and could be done immediately -- even while still cooking if you wanted to -- since the surface never got hot.

Induction is a bit more expensive, but we bought an Kenmore and it was quite reasonable in cost (with Sears, it usually pays to wait until it is on sale).
Don't induction units require that all pots and pans be ferrous as well in order to work?

So that might be added cost to replace all pots and pans.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think everything just has to have a flat bottom

I like my ng cooktop

Old 02-13-2015, 12:20 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have a glass top and love it.... it is black so those stains etc. do not show as much...

My preference would be gas, then glass and then the old electric coils... never have used induction, so do not know if I would like it or not...
Old 02-13-2015, 12:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourning View Post
We renovated our kitchen and had to buy new appliances, so naturally we bought an in counter induction cooktop (there goes your problem imoldernu) and wall mounted oven.
If I thought that renovating my kitchen would solve my problem... like insuring that I'd get 10 more years to amortize the cost... I'd do it in a minute...

FWIW, here's a picture of a Whirlpool range that's exactly the same as our Kenmore... (Whirlpool makes many Kenmore ranges, washers and dryers)... see this article to determine the manufacturer of Kenmore products by looking at the model number.

Appliance411 The Purchase: Who makes Sears Kenmore?

The top is a mottled black/grey. Over the years, underneath the glass, dark colored rings appear around some burners. Those do not come out with polish.
.................................................. ...............................................
A little bit of hijacking here... on a subject I tried to get replies on before... Has to do with the white eraser sponges... Since we couldn't live without them... all through the house, and with tools, automobiles and anything that has rust, dirt or lime. I just assumed that everyone... everyone... used these erasers. Was not the case! Just out of curiosity started asking friends and neighbors, and found out that half of them had never tried the product.
.................................................. ................................................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Range.JPG (120.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 02-13-2015, 01:06 PM   #25

I put coil ranges in the rentals and glass top ranges in the houses for sale....

I hate the glass tops. Too difficult to clean, too easy to crack. Gas for the cook top so you can do stir fry and get some easy to see temperature control (how high is the flame) and electric convection for the built in ovens is the only way to go.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:09 PM   #26

molder, mine looks just like yours! But it is a Kitchen Aid. That's weird. Mine's top is darker, though, but I have the same knobs and display.
I think you need to just ignore it more, like I do.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #27

Ours is a black glass top electric Hotpoint and I love it. I hated those coils and bowls. We really don't have trouble cleaning it. We just soak it and use bar keeper's friend (I think that's the name.)
Old 02-13-2015, 02:53 PM   #28

Like W2R I had thought all the glass top needed was a damp sponge. Note to self: Don't buy glass top stove.

A major selling point of the house was the availability of natural gas. Heat, hot water, stove, clothes dryer, all natural gas.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:14 PM   #29

We had traditional glass top in our previous house and I found it a pain to clean and, like imoldernu, prone to stains after a few years. But the worst problem for me was the heat retention - I burned things all the time on it after having used electric coil or gas all my life.

Put induction in the new house and I totally love it. I don't burn food and cleanup is much easier. And after 5 years, the bottoms of the pans I've bought are still almost like new because stuff doesn't burn on. Fortunately, most of what I had was induction-capable already so I didn't have to buy a lot.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:14 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I think everything just has to have a flat bottom

I like my ng cooktop
What Cookware Is Compatible with Induction Cooktops?

Not all cookware will work on an induction stovetop.

I guess if the bottom of the pan passes a magnet test it should work ok.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Not sure if this will help out, but...when I used to volunteer at the Legion breakfasts, the solid top metal grills got pretty ugly and sticky. One of the guys would put ice cubes on the still hot surface, and the gunk would essentially "boil loose". When the ice was all melted, he would then use a heavy duty metal scraper (not a razor) to dislodge the gunk into the side drains of the grill unit. Picture below.
I don't know if the glass tops have a lip on the front and side edges, but perhaps a single cube dropped with a pair of tongs would have the same effect. There will be a fair amount of steam produced with many cubes, so turn on the exhaust fan. Wear protective gloves so the steam doesn't hit your bare skin.
I own a gas stove. I wash my grates and 2 burner catch basin plates in the dishwasher before they get too bad.

Something about dropping ice cubes onto hot glass seems like an invitation to a big "POP" and a crack! I know ceramics and glasses can be made pretty resilient these days, but I'd sure hesitate to try this...
Old 02-13-2015, 03:29 PM   #32

I love gas cooktops. Had electric all my life until I moved out of CA 16 years ago. The first month I nearly set the house on fire though...

My dad had one of the flat tops when he moved to be near me. It was a total bear to clean. I was afraid I would scratch the top by scraping. Of course cleaning his house was my job, due to his age and health. He learned to like the stove better than the coils.

My sister had her kitchen redone (it was a necessity--it was a bad kitchen.) She had a gas cooktop and an electric oven put in. That makes the most sense to me.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:51 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 on induction. Can't stand anything else now (coming from high-end gas). Boils a smaller pot of water in about a minute flat and large pots in 2-3 minutes. But it has fine and instantaneous control of gas. It's also much safer than traditional electrics or gas because if you remove a pot and forgot to turn it off it turns itself off. No danger of a kid (or errant adult) turning on the gas but not igniting the flame. Also, almost all the heat goes into the pan so the surface isn't nearly as hot.

Really, the only two downsides I can think of are minimal. One, you may have to get new cookware. And two, in a power outage, it's useless (versus gas).
Old 02-13-2015, 04:11 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
molder, mine looks just like yours! But it is a Kitchen Aid. That's weird.
Guess who makes Kitchen Aid?

Oddly, I have a Maytag range that looks very similar.

I'm easily entertained, I suppose, but it can be interesting to look at who makes what brands, and then look at who actually owns the 'many' manufacturers.

Amana, for example, makes Amana, Caloric, Danby, Econowash, Glenwood, Imperial, Litton, Maytag (SAV, NAV series washers) Menu Master, Modern Maid, older domestic Speed Queen, Sunray, and Viking.

Maytag makes Admiral, Atlantis, Crosley, Dynasty, Gaffers and Sattler, Gemini, Hardwick, Jade, Jade Range, Jenn Air, Magic Chef, Maytag, Neptune, and Norge.

Whirlpool makes Admiral (canada), Chambers, Coovert, Crosley A/Cs, Danby, Estate, Inglis, Ikea, Kenmore, KitchenAid, Kirkland, Maytag Epic, Roper, Speed Queen (Canada), Sub Zero, and Whirlpool.

Oh, and Maytag and Amana are both owned by Whirlpool, along with some others. Whirlpool has been consolidating parts sources and production facilities.

If you find that nice high end KitchenAid fridge looks a lot like that cheap Kirkland fridge you spotted at Costco, there's a reason.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Something about dropping ice cubes onto hot glass seems like an invitation to a big "POP" and a crack! I know ceramics and glasses can be made pretty resilient these days, but I'd sure hesitate to try this...

+1

I don't have the problems some seem to have with the flat glass top, but putting ice on it seems to be tempting fate
Old 02-14-2015, 10:57 AM   #36
gone traveling

Like I said, my wife was amazed at how 'backwards' people were in N. America when it came to this stuff. I don't get it, the picture you show imoldernu is the same design (other than the glass top) that my Mother had back in 1960. That's 55 years ago!

The same people buying these same old designs wouldn't be caught dead without the latest iPhone. Why are they using 55 year old design ranges when far superior products exist?

Look at those knobs on the back of the range, they're ridiculous. You have to reach over a boiling pot to reach them. Yeah I know, you reach from the side. Doesn't that strike you as dumb? Spills and splatter run down the sides of the range and you have to pull it out to clean up. They're just a lousy design.

You don't have to remodel your entire kitchen to solve the problem imoldernu, look at a 'slide-in' induction model. The unit slides in to your standard 30" gap in your countertop that you now have. The glass should overlap the edges of the counter at both sides, eliminating that gap for stuff to fall into. then just apply a bead of clear silicone to seal it. And yeah, no more knobs on the back to reach for. The only thing you will still be stuck with using a slide-in unit is having to bend down to use the oven. Here are 2 examples but there are plenty of others:
2 Masterpieces Of The Slide In Induction Range Options | Induction Cooked

Also note, they are convection ovens which is also superior to your old fashioned existing oven.

Try this on your range:

Or this:

Read here for why boiling water is faster in Paris, France than in Buffalo, NY.
5 Benefits of Induction Cooktops - HowStuffWorks Answer: Because they aren't using old technology in Paris. Be sure to click through the 5 reasons they give. Wake up people and get with the program. While you're at it, get a convection oven.
Convection vs. Conventional Oven | eHow

Using an outdated range like yours oldernu is like doing everything by snail mail instead of e-mail; looking things up in a 26 volume enclopedia set instead of using Google; having only a land line vs. a cellphone; using paper maps instead of GPS; etc. etc.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:54 AM   #37

Putting that Dale Carnegie training to good use, sojourning?

always a fan of hearing how we are doing it all wrong and are backwards. I'm okay with my outdated technology, lol. Imolder and I have the same stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
+1

I don't have the problems some seem to have with the flat glass top, but putting ice on it seems to be tempting fate
You are absolutely correct about that hazard. My bad.

My post indicated this process was used on a metal grill, no danger of cracking.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #39
gone traveling

If you're OK with what you have Sarah, that's fine. But if someone complains about what they have, that's another thing don't you think?

If someone complains, 'my encyclopedia set is out of date and I can't find answers to my research questions in them', do you say, 'be happy with your old encyclopedia'? Or do you say, get with the program and learn to Google.

When you write, "always a fan of hearing how we are doing it all wrong and are backwards.", I take it to mean you do not think you are. But in fact, if what someone wants is an easy to clean glass cooktop which is what this thread started out asking about, then YES you are doing it all wrong in that there is no easy answer to keeping a glass top cooktop clean EXCEPT when it is an induction cooktop.

Freebird, if you look at the second video I linked above, you will see ice cubes on the glass top of an induction unit and there is NO danger of cracking. The glass is never really 'hot'.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourning View Post
Like I said, my wife was amazed at how 'backwards' people were in N. America when it came to this stuff. I don't get it, the picture you show imoldernu is the same design (other than the glass top) that my Mother had back in 1960. That's 55 years ago!

The same people buying these same old designs wouldn't be caught dead without the latest iPhone. Why are they using 55 year old design ranges when far superior products exist? ...
I'm not following you (maybe I'm just a 'backwards' N. American?).

You say "the picture you show imoldernu is the same design (other than the glass top) that my Mother had back in 1960. That's 55 years ago!", but the "glass top" means it is induction cooking doesn't it (and not a 55 year old design)? And your youtube vidoes of 'superior technology' just show the advantages of induction cooking - which is what he has.

Are you focused on the knobs being in back? That may be a bad design (or maybe not - keeps them away from where small children can reach - did you ever consider that?), but bad design sure isn't limited to age. Practically every product I buy has poor user design issues, including the latest iPhones.

-ERD50