Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-16-2015, 10:05 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Well, that's one way to say it, though it's deliberately overly broad. Of course "quality of life means something" to me, too.

I have no problems at all with a person making the decision to spend their money to buy an induction unit, or to spend an extra $1200 so that the cooktop can be located a few feet from the oven. If that brings them happiness, that's great. I waste invest a lot of money on hobbies.

Cooking ain't one of them. I derive no joy from it. I do enjoy eating, but in general I find my time better spent doing other things than preparing food. The presence or absence of an induction cooktop will not make my time spent in the kitchen any more or less enjoyable than using our present gas range.

I'm fine with a frozen lasagne baked for 80 minutes (without my attention) rather than spending an additional 60 minutes cutting, boiling, browning, and fussing before putting the thing into the oven. The "homemade" one would taste better, but not worth the sacrifice of the things I could have been doing with that time.

I can enjoy a good "fancy" meal, and a simple one. I feel pretty lucky to be wired that way. If a person can enjoy both Hamlet and Beverly Hills Cop, she is going to find more opportunities for happiness than someone who can only enjoy one or the other.

To me, a coil or gas burner has just as much absolute utility as it ever did, and some fine food has been prepared on them. There are additional options today that some people prefer, but that does not diminish the value of the older options in an absolute sense (and, for my purposes, not in a relative sense, either).
My sentiments exactly on cooking. But I truly hate to clean cooked-on stuff on the stove top. I can waste a whole morning doing that and I have done it with both gas and electric stoves. I prefer gas because I don't have to worry about the temp going up and down while cooking eggs so the idea of the induction cook top is appealing to me. It sounds like possibly the best answer for a lazy non-cook!

Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Glass Top Electric Range
Old 02-16-2015, 11:10 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Glass Top Electric Range

Originally Posted by Sojourning View Post
But in fact, if what someone wants is an easy to clean glass cooktop which is what this thread started out asking about, then YES you are doing it all wrong in that there is no easy answer to keeping a glass top cooktop clean EXCEPT when it is an induction cooktop.
Actually, I clean my glass top twice a week with the recommended cleaner and wipe up spills soon after they occur. It's easy and keeps my glass top clean.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote