Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I used to be really nearsighted but 17 years ago I had LASIK surgery. My distance vision is still great and I don't need distance correction at all. For a number of years for reading I've managed with buying cheap readers from the drugstores. They have worked fine for reading and for computer use. When I get up to go somewhere else, I just prop them on top of my head. I've never really seen the sense of buying prescription reading glasses since the drugstore readers work fine for me.

Increasingly, though, I find that the computer is starting to get a bit blurry. So I think I'm going to go ahead and spring for bifocal glasses with the computer correction on top and reading on the bottom. I plan to keep these glasses at my computer exclusively. Then I will get some cheap drugstore readers to use at other places.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2015, 06:01 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
In building my house, I was trying to get a precise measurement above my head. I could not see the tape measure and could not tilt my head back enough to get the correct focus. I had to let the guy that has been helping me get the measurement. Maybe I should have tried putting my glasses on upside down?
Yup. If your eyes are roughly the same, flipping your glasses over will work. I've done it, and you get some funny looks some time!

There is another solution- use your cell phone to take a picture of it, then read the number off your cell phone. I do this occasionally when I have to get a serial number off a piece of equipment. If that plate is above my head, I can't get my neck cranked around plus my glasses in the right place.
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:30 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Here's another trick that, for some reason, I only figured out lately.

If you're shaving with an electric razor, you might lean up close to the mirror to get a good view. But, you'll be looking through the top of your bifocals.

So, with the other hand, lift up the glasses and inch, and you will be looking though the close vision part of the lens.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #24

If I'm too far away from the computer screen while web browsing a small font site, I hit "control +" a couple of times. "control 0" (zero) will put it back. This is Firefox, but I think other browsers too.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
If I'm too far away from the computer screen while web browsing a small font site, I hit "control +" a couple of times. "control 0" (zero) will put it back. This is Firefox, but I think other browsers too.
I tried it, and that works with MSIE too. Neat! Usually I just hit control while operating the mouse's scroll wheel backwards or forwards.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:25 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I didn't actually know you could do that. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
If you're shaving with an electric razor, you might lean up close to the mirror to get a good view. But, you'll be looking through the top of your bifocals.

So, with the other hand, lift up the glasses and inch, and you will be looking though the close vision part of the lens.
And with your third hand, stretch the skin to get the razor closer to the beard.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:46 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Another vision-related revelation. I was reading, and suddenly the image of the words on the page got better. What had happened?

I'd raised my eyebrows! It seems my old-geezer bushy eyebrows were getting in the way! They were close enough to my eye to be out of focus, so I didn't notice.

So, with some careful eyebrow manscaping, and a continual surprised expression (should I get botox?) I can improve my reading experience. Yay.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:49 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Another vision-related revelation. I was reading, and suddenly the image of the words on the page got better. What had happened?

I'd raised my eyebrows! It seems my old-geezer bushy eyebrows were getting in the way! They were close enough to my eye to be out of focus, so I didn't notice.

So, with some careful eyebrow manscaping, and a continual surprised expression (should I get botox?) I can improve my reading experience. Yay.
Just think what you could do if you got rid of your merkin...
Old 11-19-2015, 01:49 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Okay, here's another: "Eye Floaters" are remnants of the hyaloid membrane. They float around inside your eyeball. They become more prominent as you age.

Sometimes one gets right in my line of vision, and it tracks right along the words I'm reading.

The solution is to flick your eyes up quickly and back, displacing the floater. Don't do this in public or someone will think you're having a seizure.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:50 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Wha? ROFL.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:45 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

And a strong nominee for post of the year right here!!!!!!!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

That would be BROtox, per this article...

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/why-mor...123339943.html

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:40 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Another glasses revelation today. I was cutting a piece of wood with a jigsaw today. The wood had been on the ground. I was wearing my polycarbonate-lens regular glasses.

Somehow a small pebble or other hard thing flew up, got past my glasses, and zinged me in the inner corner of my eye (my one good eye). It didn't hit the cornea, but it stung. No permanent damage.

So, regular glasses are not enough. I have safety goggles that are totally enclosed and have rubber strap, but rarely wear them because they fog up.

I just ordered these:

Uvex S0250X Ultra-spec 2000 Safety Eyewear, Clear Frame, Clear UV Extreme Anti-Fog Lens - Safety Glasses - Amazon.com
Old 11-23-2015, 12:32 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Got the glasses today. Very nice, except that the bifocal line is too high for using at the computer unless I slide them to the tip of my nose. I'll have to see if that's too annoying.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:26 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Got the glasses today. Very nice, except that the bifocal line is too high for using at the computer unless I slide them to the tip of my nose. I'll have to see if that's too annoying.
Is this with progressive lenses or with regular bifocals?
Old 11-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post

This process is getting really old. Plus there are other problems like not being able to see the dashboard when driving. I'd like to have one pair of glasses that I wear all the time for all activities. My optometrist recommended a very expensive set of premium progressive lenses. It has wider fields of view and is customized based on my frame size and the percentage of time doing different activities. It's $700 for just the lenses. And from what I've read, a large percentage of people do not adapt to them very well. So for now, I've been hesitant to drop that kind of cash, and instead keep 3 or 4 pair of $10 reading glasses lying around. Maybe, that'll be my Christmas present.
I have a pair of single vision lenses that I wear for driving and watching TV. I have another pair just for reading. And I have another pair just for the computer. Three different prescriptions. I also have a bad case of strabismus (lazy eye, lack of binocular vision), so I find bifocals and progressive lenses to be just too difficult to use. Luckily I found that I can buy cheap glasses on Zenni.com. Seriously cheap.
MikeWillRetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:46 PM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Reading this thread reminds me it's only three days until Thanksgiving, with the inevitable "organ recital" responses from my geriatric relatives answering to "How have you been?".

Thanks to REWahoo, it's going to be much worse this year. I will struggle mightily to avoid responding with "Just think what you could do if you got rid of your merkin."
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:50 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Is this with progressive lenses or with regular bifocals?
Regular.

And it turns out, the new glasses work fine at the computer. I guess I've automatically adjusted how I hold my neck. It has truly saved me a lot of time and bother in terms of switching and always having the wrong glasses on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 11-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I've had progressives for my last two or three pairs of glasses. They work well after a couple days acclimation.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote