Global Cooling

Here in western Canada,we've had snow from Nov. 1 until about Mar. 20. That was my 1st Alpine drive. My second was about April 10. Every other day was cold/snow/rain/shitty. May 1 is approaching and my Minx has never waited this long to be liberated from winter storage.

If global cooling continues, there may be fire sale on Rootes vehicles unless Rootes made a snowmobile.

Damn, this spring sucx!

EDIT TO ADD

Wrong forum, For some reason (merlot maybe) I thought I was at SAOCA.ORG. Sorry folks

Last edited:
According to NOAA, this spring hasn't been especially cold. Large amounts of snow reflect high precipitation, not necessarily abnormally low temperatures. December-February were the coolest in 6 or 7 years, not 600 or even 60 - but still the 16th warmest on record - and March was the second warmest on record.

NCDC: Climate of 2008 - February

NCDC: Climate of 2008 - March

The perception in Chicago since October was many less sunny days and more snow and lower temperatures (six full months between 70 degrees--not even a freak warm day in there) than average--and the perception was correct. SAD for everyone. Finally over but snow flurries in the forecast for tomorrow. Yuck.

According to NOAA, this spring hasn't been especially cold. Large amounts of snow reflect high precipitation, not necessarily abnormally low temperatures. December-February were the coolest in 6 or 7 years, not 600 or even 60 - but still the 16th warmest on record - and March was the second warmest on record.

NCDC: Climate of 2008 - February

NCDC: Climate of 2008 - March

You mean just because we experienced one of the longest, coldest winters in my memory in the PNW the world is actually warmer. God I hate it when anecdotal evidence gets stomped by facts...

DD

It is easy to poke fun at. But if those things happen, it will not be so funny.

We need to take action. Better to be safe than sorry. With China and India ramping up, pollution will only get worse.

As Gertrude Stein said (on a different subject) "Ther is no there, there"

Doubling CO2 from 250 ppm to 500ppm MEANS from .00025% to .00050%. It's a trace gas! (I may have the wrong amount of zeros in the numbers - itty bitty amounts are hard on the old brain)

Water vapor is somewhere around 90% of the greenhouse effect, depending on whether it is humidity (gee, it feels hot), or clouds (feels colder, doesn't it)

If the tree huggers would let the trees vote, they'd vote for MORE co2!

Whew, that felt good.

It is easy to poke fun at. But if those things happen, it will not be so funny.

We need to take action. Better to be safe than sorry. With China and India ramping up, pollution will only get worse.

Educate yourself before you commit to action that you may later regret. Fear is your worst enemy.

Educate yourself before you commit to action that you may later regret. Fear is your worst enemy.

Back at ya. but replace the words [action with inaction] and [fear with denial].

...May 1 is approaching and my Minx has never waited this long to be liberated from winter storage....

What year of Hillman? I had a 1959 Minx (my first car) back in 1970; frog green and re-wired with all the same color wire.

I'd certainly expect some decade-long up and down cycles. That says nothing about the long term trend.

Manns-hockey-stick.gif

So all you guys claiming GW is 'over' or disproven because it was colder where you live over the last few months, does that mean if there is a three month warming trend you will be the first yelling about GW happening??

So all you guys claiming GW is 'over' or disproven because it was colder where you live over the last few months, does that mean if there is a three month warming trend you will be the first yelling about GW happening??

No! That is the IPCC's job.

59. See avatar, that's it.
It looks more like a Sunbeam Tiger (same factory). Mine was a sedan and was one breath away from the scrap yard. It made a good learning car but for reliable transportation; not so good.

No, but I have gotten fed up with all that talk from the GW alarmists. News item after news item, 'little Ellie May says the birds are here earlier every year', ' Max has to put away his snowmobile earlier this spring...', "Grandma Wilson doesn't ever remember it being this warm on Christmas Day (never mind that Grandma Wilson doesn't rememeber what she had for breakfast!)', and on , and on, and on.

That frustration does make it easy to try to toss it back and see what the response is. It's probably meaningless, long term trends are what is important.

I did hear another science podcast out of Australia today. The guy was talking about how we had a cooling period from (IIRC) about 1750 - 1890. So, all this glacier melting stuff may just be the result of the ice building up over that cooling period, and we are returning to something closer to 'normal'.

Now, T-AL has a good graph of warming over the past 1000 years, but let's look back further:

Climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe we are right on schedule?

-ERD50

Actually I think there is a direct relation of GW to the subprime mortgage mess. All those homeowners were sweating the payments and overheating the atmosphere. Now that the FEDS have it all under control things are cooling off a bit. Things will cool even more when we get our stimulus checks, just watch. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom