Global Warming confirmed by independent study

This reaction is entirely rational. I wish that the debate could be conducted at this level - by both sides. The I-don't-like-middle-class-values people have been telling us that the sky is falling (pesticides, nuclear power, etc) for years, with the additional mantra "don't trust the scientists". Now that for once the science is on their side, they're milking it for all it's worth.

My position is nicely summarised by this clip. (Note for Americans: "Clarkson" is Jeremy Clarkson, an outspoken UK motoring journalist.)
Cute.

Note that fires in the fireplace don't contribute to climate change. The trees suck in the carbon, and release it whether they burn in your fireplace (fast oxidation) or rot on the forest floor (slow oxidation).

My crystal ball says this thread may end up in "Bugs Bunny" territory? :blush:

Note that fires in the fireplace don't contribute to climate change. The trees suck in the carbon, and release it whether they burn in your fireplace (fast oxidation) or rot on the forest floor (slow oxidation).
Thanks Al, that had not even remotely occurred to me.

Not according to "these scientists" Soot And Methane Reduction Key To Slowing Global Warming And Saving Lives, Study Finds? Just makes my head spin...good grief!

Who says there's no such thing as too much information, must have been before the "interwebs."

Last edited:
Real solution: Fewer people.

It may come about naturally through some influenza H1N1 variant. Or war.

Imagine, if you will, seven billion people, consuming energy in an American kind of way...

As a general principle, I try to minimize my "footprint" on the planet. What the heck, it saves money AND helps the environment. What's not to like...

Imagine, if you will, seven billion people, consuming energy in an American kind of way...

As a general principle, I try to minimize my "footprint" on the planet. What the heck, it saves money AND helps the environment. What's not to like...
You must be a Molly Ivins Texan? :)

The world uses ~85mm barrels of oil a day. The US uses 1/4th of that. Now if we divide 7B by 300M, we get...uh oh. Talk about a quality of life adjustment.

You must be a Molly Ivins Texan? :)

Judeo-Christian upbringing, with a helping of Boy Scouts...

Yep, enjoyed both Molly and Ann Richards. True originals. Liberals in a Texas kind of way. :LOL:

Judeo-Christian upbringing, with a helping of Boy Scouts...

Yep, enjoyed both Molly and Ann Richards. True originals. Liberals in a Texas kind of way. :LOL:
My ex used to get the Texas Observer. It definitely seemed that those Austin liberals were more fun than the coastal subspecies I was used to.

Ha

eridanus said:

I think that as the root problem, with environmental issues as symptoms.

Imagine what the world would be like with only 1 billion inhabitants.

I think that as the root problem, with environmental issues as symptoms.

Imagine what the world would be like with only 1 billion inhabitants.
Yep, me and 999,999,999 women. I'm for it! Sorry about all you other guys, it's been great!
Ha

Back
Top Bottom