Join Early Retirement Today

Global Warming on 20/20
Old 10-20-2007, 05:30 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Global Warming on 20/20

I found this article interesting, especially the portion about the IPCC. I do realize it is only a couple peoples opinion of the whole thing. Something else I find a bit interesting is the media normally accused of being left leaning and in blind support of the liberals developed and printed the story.

ABC News: The Globe Is Warming, but Why?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2007, 07:02 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

John Stossell's stick is questioning the hysteria.

About the left leaning - I don't see how what is presented is left or right also - "one drop of rain does not make a flood."
Old 10-20-2007, 11:39 AM   #3

mass media coverage is left-wing-biased huh?

google says:

Results 1 - 10 of about 25,500 from abcnews.go.com for god. (0.35 seconds)
Results 1 - 10 of about 14,400 from abcnews.go.com for gay. (0.11 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 15,000 from cbsnews.com for god. (0.42 seconds)
Results 1 - 10 of about 11,100 from cbsnews.com for gay. (0.29 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 140,000 from nbc.com for god. (0.34 seconds)
Results 1 - 10 of about 6,740 from nbc.com for gay. (0.11 seconds)

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
mass media coverage is left-wing-biased huh?

google says:

Results 1 - 10 of about 25,500 from abcnews.go.com for god. (0.35 seconds)
Results 1 - 10 of about 14,400 from abcnews.go.com for gay. (0.11 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 15,000 from cbsnews.com for god. (0.42 seconds)
Results 1 - 10 of about 11,100 from cbsnews.com for gay. (0.29 seconds)

What is this telling me? I don't get it.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #5

Quote:
equal coverage? no bias? bias is left-leaning? i'm sorry but i don't get what don't you get?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 10-20-2007, 01:38 PM   #6

Wow this thread turned quickly off the path it was headed.

Notice I said nothing asserting the media is left leaning. I said it is accused of being left leaning.

Lazy--It looks like you searched the sites for a word. The search does not disclose what was written in the article. Are the 11,100 artices about gay for, against, or neutral on teh subject? Without that essential piece of information for each of the things you list nobody can determine anything from your search.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:10 PM   #7

lets, i did not accuse you of any such assertion. i realize you said the media is often accused of being left leaning and that is precisely what i commented upon. i didn't know that commenting on one of your comments was thread jacking. my apologies if the wrong sentence of the original post caught my attention. all i did was bring to bear a simple for anyone to do search which i think shows that though the right wing often accuses media of giving unfair amounts of coverage to leftist issues that it is the right wing which seems to me to get more of the spotlight, whether or not that light shines on for, against or neutral.

i do wonder how much of all that coverage of all the news god seems to be making is for, against or neutral.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

The last time I spoke with god he/she/it said he/she/it is a libertarian.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:05 PM   #9

Bum--I guess I misunderstood your post.

Dex--LOL
Old 10-20-2007, 04:27 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

OK... this can be fun (even though a thread hijack)...

Results 1 - 10 of about 154,000 for abcnews.go.com global warming. (0.14 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 103,000 for abcnews.go.com universal health care. (0.11 seconds

Results 1 - 10 of about 112,000 for abcnews.go.com "Hillary Clinton". (0.10 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 68,900 for abcnews.go.com "Mitt Romney". (0.22 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 98,300 for abcnews.go.com "Giuliani". (0.10 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 313,000 for cbsnews.com "Global warming". (0.12 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 254,000 for cbsnews.com universal health care. (0.11 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 272,000 for cbsnews.com "Hillary Clinton". (0.11 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 123,000 for cbsnews.com "Barack Obama". (0.11 seconds)
Results 1 - 10 of about 106,000 for cbsnews.com "Mitt Romney". (0.12 seconds)Results 1 - 10 of about 153,000 for cbsnews.com "Giuliani". (0.10 seconds)

Some of the 'left leaning' subjects have a few more... Hillary seems to be leading God by a good margin.
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:31 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I remember seeing this when it aired... it was a good segment...

When people start saying that the debate is over means they have set in their mind what to do... they want to control growth and what we can do...

I thought it was interesting to read someone that came up with a novel idea on global warming... I am not searching for the article, but the gist was that we can put something 'in the way' of the sun and reflect out more light than is happening now.. just a little bit of reflection can 'reverse' the effects that they say are man made without changing much of what we are doing now... IIRC they said we should do other things, but that this is a cheaper way then what some what us to do...
Old 10-20-2007, 06:46 PM   #12

lets, not a problem. i probably spooked everyone with all that god stuff. i always did go for shock value as a kid and well, just never grew up. actually i just picked pretty much at random the first two "code words" which came to mind.

dex, liberterian indeed. well, i suppose i'll have to settle for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Some of the 'left leaning' subjects have a few more... Hillary seems to be leading God by a good margin.
how dare you use my questionable methodology against me!

Quote:
they want to control growth and what we can do...

I thought it was interesting to read someone that came up with a novel idea on global warming... that we can put something 'in the way' of the sun and reflect out more light than is happening now
that science fiction project is already underway. it is called contrails. one theory is that the vapor trails help global dimming by reflecting sunlight Global dimming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

but the opposing theory is that the contrails just add to global warming by trapping heat. Airplane Contrails Boost Global Warming, Study Suggests

edit:

i think that you did hit a nail on the head though. i hope people really do want to believe that they can wise up to do something "to save the planet." and i hope that motivation is stronger than either the egotism that says humans are powerful enough--or simply that we are dumb enough--to have destroyed the planet in the first place.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:54 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

[quote=lazygood4nothinbum;568718]
how dare you use my questionable methodology against me!
[/guote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
that science fiction project is already underway. it is called contrails. one theory is that the vapor trails help global dimming by reflecting sunlight Global dimming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

but the opposing theory is that the contrails just add to global warming by trapping heat. Airplane Contrails Boost Global Warming, Study Suggests
It wasn't the contrails... was putting some chemical up there...

When I first started to read the article, I was thinking that we would just put a big umbrella up in space They said all we had to do was remove 1% of sunlight for it to work..
Old 10-20-2007, 07:08 PM   #14

that's not a big umbrella. that's advertising space.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post

Notice I said nothing asserting the media is left leaning. I said it is accused of being left leaning.

i've heard the accusation both ways, each group believing the media is biased against it.

J. st*ssel annoys me , he picks topics that he can bring his POV to, and say, "look! i'm smarter than everyone else, what were they thinking?" or his usual, "gimme a break." he was a guest at a friend's wedding and he chased my friend around and said, oh, aren't you working for that liberal group? like it was an insult...
Old 10-21-2007, 10:26 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
The last time I spoke with god he/she/it said he/she/it is a libertarian.
"And speaks English surprisingly well, considering it's a second language..."

Austin Lounge Lizards, Jesus Loves me, But He Can't Stand You

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:05 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
J. st*ssel annoys me , he picks topics that he can bring his POV to, and say, "look! i'm smarter than everyone else, what were they thinking?" or his usual, "gimme a break."
I've occasionally watched John Stossel on 20/20. I found him interesting enough to check his books out of the library, it's easier to analyze statements in print than when info is flittering by on the small screen.

Very roughly speaking, and all JMO, I'd break down his comments in the book as follows:

~1/3 very thought provoking, really turning the accepted view of an issue on it's head.

~1/3 kinda weak arguments, but still may make you think about an issue in a new light.

~1/3 are pretty poor, and he is as guilty of using selective data and twisting logic as the people he accuses.

Overall, I thought his books were a good read. Like anything, don't take it as either right/wrong, just another POV. IMO, enough of it was done well enough to make it worth my while, and it is an easy read. I learned a thing or three.

No, I don't think he deserves a Nobel Prize for his work in this area

And I wouldn't be surprised that he is totally annoying in a social situation

I think 'gimme a break' is a bit more open ended and honest than 'the debate is over'.

-ERD50

PS ? Why did you use the abbrev and * in his name? Do you really hate him that much that you wouldn't want his name and yours to come up in search? Just curious.
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

PS ? Why did you use the abbrev and * in his name? Do you really hate him that much that you wouldn't want his name and yours to come up in search? Just curious.
huh, i don't think there was a real reason, abbrev for laziness and * is just habit with any name/product that will pop up on google search...wouldn't be surprised if he googled himself a few times a day!