Join Early Retirement Today

GM SUV sales in freefall...........
Old 06-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

GM SUV sales in freefall...........

Ouch!!

JS Online: Graphic

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm amazed they're even still that high. The hybrid trucks and SUVs that still only see 25-28 mpg on average aren't going to help much, I would think.
RetiredGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
I'm amazed they're even still that high. The hybrid trucks and SUVs that still only see 25-28 mpg on average aren't going to help much, I would think.
Hey, if a 4WD Tahoe could get 28 mpg, the sales would be through the roof..........

Old 06-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #4

It's about time.
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Gotta be some great bargains right now
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Hey, if a 4WD Tahoe could get 28 mpg, the sales would be through the roof..........
It would make soccer moms feel safe and let them think they were still being green to the environment. I'm scared now.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #7

Big trucks and SUV's have become a rolling joke and the people driving them viewed as fools who never saw the writing on the wall until it was too late $4 a gallon baby,fill her up
Old 06-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Big trucks and SUV's have become a rolling joke and the people driving them viewed as fools who never saw the writing on the wall until it was too late $4 a gallon baby,fill her up
I don't think we're doing much better.........DW drives a minivan. However, we average around 20mpg with mixed driving, and it is nice for family trips and when we are out with another couple and stuff like that.......

Old 06-04-2008, 12:44 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

From this article in the Arizona Republic.

Quote:
Debbie Gilmartin has a major dilemma with the huge Hummer H2 parked in her driveway.

She can't afford to drive it, with a lengthy commute from central Phoenix to Chandler every day, as well as shuttling people around in her sideline real-estate business.

But she can't afford the more-than $10,000 loss if she trades it in.

And nobody wants to buy a vehicle that averages less than 10 miles per gallon.

"I'm between a rock and a hard place," Gilmartin said. "Financially, it's killing me with gas prices and everything. I can't sell it. I can't trade it in. I don't know what I'm going to do with it."

She owes more than $40,000 on the 2-year-old vehicle, but dealers are only offering her $30,000 in trade.

"It would be like $10,000 negative equity," she said.
Well, at least she understands the numbers.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post

Maybe she could rent it out as a spare room?
Old 06-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I just bought a motorcycle to save money on gas.

Yeah, right.......
Old 06-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

Yeah, right.......

Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post

Why not take the $10,000 loss and get out? $30,000 is a GIFT from that dealer............

Old 06-04-2008, 02:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Gotta be some great bargains right now
Just like there are on gas-guzzling Boeing 707s, and other turbojet dinosaurs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Why not take the $10,000 loss and get out? $30,000 is a GIFT from that dealer
You are so right! Waiting is only going to make the situation worse, as her monstrosity ages and gasoline costs continue to increase.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Heck... some people just don't care...

I bought an Explorer from my sister after my BIL died... it gets about 17 to 18 mpg.... but I get 17 mpg from my 95 Monte Carlo... so to me it is a wash.... and the Explorer has a lot more room with a third row and I am about to have a family....

SO, I would rather pay the extra $30 or so PER MONTH with the higher gas cost instead of trying to go to a small Corolla or the Hyundai that is that size....

When you do not drive that much.. the higher cost per gallon just does not make much difference...

NOW, saying that... the guy who lived next door has a brother who was paying $150 per week to fill up his F-150... went and bought a cheap Corolla and said the cost of the car and the gas is cheaper than just his gas was...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

Yeah, right.......
I have a motorcycle and do save on gas.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:04 PM   #17

I'm with you Tex.

I look at the overall cost of operation and figure how painful it is, even at $4/gal a long trip driving in a full size truck isn't that painful, for me.

DW and I make a trip to see her mother every 8-10 months. It's exactly 1000 miles round trip. I did a little investigating into what the trip would cost if we took (just for grins) a Greyhound bus. Two senior fares and one of them at the -50% companion rate added up to $283 round trip. Regular fare without the senior discount is about $294 for two and a single fare round trip is $196.

If we drive DW's car, a 1992 Crown Victoria that gets a good honest 24+ mpg on the highway, total fuel cost for the trip is about $166. If we drive my 1998 F150 that will get 19 mpg on the highway total fuel costs are around $222. That boils down to about $8+/hour to drive the car and $11+/hour to drive the truck.

I've been making this trip for almost 36 years and I've done it in everything from a VW bug, that got 32 mpg to a '64 Caddy convertible that got 11 mpg . For my money, out on the open road, I'll take the smooth ride of the big car any day.

Around town we don't use enough gas to get too hyper about the price. I filled up my truck on May 7 and I still have 5/8 of a tank left. My last tank full lasted me 48 days (21 gal). DW's car will probably need a fill up in August or maybe September at the rate she uses it.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

GM has announced the closing of 4 assembly plants, including the Morraine plant near me in Dayton. They make trucks/SUVs. A lot of folks are going to be out of work--very sad. Unreasonable labor leaders, unreasonable worker demands, unimaginative GM leadership and products, complacent engineers, crappy subcomponents, and "the-customer-is-an-idiot" attitude all contribute to the demise of the the US auto industry.

Meanwhile, in March 2008, Toyota announced their sales had increased 9.8% over the previous year's numbers, and net earnings rose 4.5%. . . and that was a "disappointment."
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #19

Darn. I dont want to replace my vehicle for at least 2 more years. Hmm maybe hybrid SUV's will be the craze then.. Ill need more room but get over 30 mpg ..
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post

Meanwhile, in March 2008, Toyota announced their sales had increased 9.8% over the previous year's numbers, and net earnings rose 4.5%. . . and that was a "disappointment."
But the Toyota truck and SUV sales took an 8% hit.

SUV and Truck Sales Plunge - washingtonpost.com