Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-28-2009, 07:12 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
An gmail user told me they were suspicious that Google scanned their email for purposes of targeting advertising.
That's true -- they do. Here's what they say about it.

Coach
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2009, 07:28 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
An gmail user told me they were suspicious that Google scanned their email for purposes of targeting advertising. They claimed they sent some email that had to do with baby furniture and all of a sudden they were getting ads for baby furniture. Anyone know if there's any truth to this? I wouldn't want to start an "urban legend".

It could have been a coincidence or maybe linked to web browsing that they didn't remember doing.
They definitely do. Right now I have ads for computer parts, since I just sent an email to my brother regarding computer parts. I have an adblocker, so all I see is a one line text message at the upper part of my interface that alternates between ads and pithy quotes/news updates. I actually find these useful and interesting, not annoying at all. The ads are on the right hand panel, but they are blocked completely with firefox ad block plus.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:02 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I'm still in shock over having 1,200 emails sitting in storage.....wow.
Will do what you oldtimers with gmail say. I'm here to learn.
That's about 6 weeks worth of emails for me, after deleting spam. Many of my emails have multiple large attachments. How does gmail handle those?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:28 AM   #24
Administrator

I also have a similar volume of e-mail. Large attachments seem to be no problem, but I think they have a 25 mg limit on a single file.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:29 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I use my gmail account for all non-work related stuff. Another nice feature is you can have gmail harvest all the email sent to other accounts (like the road runner account that comes with my data service provider). That way I only have to check gmail for all non-work email.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #26

I've heard of Hushmail, but don't know anyone who uses it. Does anyone on this board use Hushmail here that can offer an opinion?
Old 12-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Why never delete a message? I don't understand, TromboneAl.
Because there's no reason to. True it takes a little space, but you will probably never run out of space. It doesn't slow things down to have a ton of old emails around.

The advantages of having your old emails around are huge. You can find that password for the application you installed 4 years ago, for example.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:01 AM   #28

Thank you for the explantation, TromboneAl. I just always delete spam or anything from someone I don't know. I likes my computer clean, but I can see the definite advantage of keeping valuable emails.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:38 AM   #29

If you aren't sold yet...

Gmail has one of the best spam filters around.

It is also easy to learn to customize its filters so if you have some company send you emails & you can't get them to stop, you can just send them straight to the trash-bin.

I have had the occasional issue with Gmail being down, but that's true with any online service. The important thing is that I've never lost any email.

If you like the option to access your email off-line, you could use Mozilla Thunderbird or some other email program that works with gmail. Most do now.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I would like to find an easy way to download and backup the 1.569 Gigabytes of emails that I have on gmail.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:52 AM   #31

Uhhhh...this has been more than a wonderful sales job. I'm going to Disneyland!!! Oh, no...I mean I'm going with Gmail!!!! Sounds great to me!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I would like to find an easy way to download and backup the 1.569 Gigabytes of emails that I have on gmail.
Offline GMail works for me.

Official Gmail Blog: New in Labs: Offline Gmail
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:15 AM   #33

T-Al,
I have not tried this but it should work. Put all your mail in the inbox, then route you email to a pop-3 account. Then use microsoft mail or outlook to open the box and then back up your email from that program. That was quick and dirty, most likely would take a while, but should work. Once you have them copied you would only have to backup the outlook every month or so as it would have all your mail in it forwarded from gmail.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:41 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
T-Al,
I have not tried this but it should work. Put all your mail in the inbox, then route you email to a pop-3 account. Then use microsoft mail or outlook to open the box and then back up your email from that program. That was quick and dirty, most likely would take a while, but should work. Once you have them copied you would only have to backup the outlook every month or so as it would have all your mail in it forwarded from gmail.
Outlook does this. I tried Outlook a few weeks ago (being retired, and just fiddling around). I am used to Outlook from w*rk. Anyway, I told it to connect with my AOL account (gave it the username and password), and it did, and I was able to download my e-mails from AOL to Outlook. I am sure it would do the same from g-mail. After downloading very quickly, Outlook then had those e-mails and I could back them up or do whatever I wanted to do with them. I could respond from Outlook, and my e-mail would be uploaded to AOL and sent from there seamlessly. Very cool.

The problem for me was that Outlook either will delete the e-mails on the other account as they are downloaded, or not (you pick). If it doesn't delete them, then it will download them AGAIN the next time and have duplicates. If it does delete them, then you don't have access via the web from other computers when traveling or whatever.

So, having sated my curiousity, I don't use Outlook now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:11 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

I have used Yahoo since forever and since I have that e-mail address for all my online stuff (even things I have forgotten about) and it's second nature to use it, I'm not going to change it now.

But I did open a g-mail account a couple of years ago because I wanted to get my own name before someone else did, so I can use it in the future for specialized correspondence. I send/receive an e-mail from myself there every few weeks to keep it active and might start giving it out to people I know (my Yahoo address is random and doesn't identify me, unlike my g-mail address). I don't think I'll link it with the Yahoo account, though.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

OK, I am easily influenced, I guess! At any rate I just opened a g-mail account, and it was easy to get my AOL e-mails transferred over. You can either have it continue to check and transfer new e-mails over periodically, or not.

I didn't choose to link it with my Yahoo account either, BestWifeEver. My Yahoo account is old and little used - - it gets zero spam - - but my primary AOL accountname is tied to New Orleans (similar to "XYZinNOLA") and I don't expect to be living here a year from now. So, I need to start changing my e-mail address to something else. Given all the rumors about AOL being on the brink of collapse, g-mail seemed wise.

It seems pretty user-friendly. Also if I had an iPhone or other web enabled phone, it looks pretty easy to set it up to read g-mail.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #37

Gmail is so much better than AOL in ways too numerous to list here.
Got the tip for it here on the forum.

Thanks,

Free to canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:52 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

the Gmail user interface was a little odd for me at first, but now I use it a lot.

One thing to note: I have 2 accounts (or should say had 2 accounts). One of my gmail accounts was recently hacked, and taken over. I could not reset the password or anything, since the hacker reset all that.

Google has a process that will send you verification email to get your account back, but you need to know when you created the account (exact dates), names of several labels, email addresses in your address book, etc. So make sure you choose a good password, and remember your details.

Unfortunately I had none of this, and could not get my account back (its all automated, so don't even waste time trying). The good thing is, this was a throw-away account for me anyway. But it taught me a lesson.
tgotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
gmail supports a protocol called IMAP that allows you to synchronize your offline storage with the online one. Try Mozilla's thunderbird to do this (free). I'm sure there are other email programs that do this too. Plenty of help online to help you configure all sorts of mail programs to work with gmail.

Thunderbird also has a plug-in called Zindus that allows you to synchronize your google contacts with an offline copy.

Then, you can back up your offline store the same way you back up your computer.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgotch View Post
the Gmail user interface was a little odd for me at first, but now I use it a lot.

One thing to note: I have 2 accounts (or should say had 2 accounts). One of my gmail accounts was recently hacked, and taken over.
Well, so far it seems pretty much like any other web based e-mail to me. The threading of messages was confusing for about a minute and a half, but isn't confusing any more for me. It can do a lot of things, but so far I haven't encountered anything extra that I plan to use.

It doesn't have an audible alert (such as the infamous "you've got mail", that I found very useful in helping me with more immediate response to mod duties) but I downloaded their "notifier" software which produces an icon in my system tray that will let me visually check and see if I have new e-mail. I was hoping that it would have an audible alert that would summon me if, for example, I was cooking dinner at the time or something, but apparently not.

Hacking can be a problem with email accounts, and it is awful when it happens! My daughter even had her livejournal account hacked at one time (so being the techie-kid that she is, she hacked back into it and changed the password to something more secure).