Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgotch View Post
but you need to know when you created the account (exact dates), names of several labels, email addresses in your address book, etc. So make sure you choose a good password, and remember your details.
Is the exact date only one thing among many and if you know everything else it doesn't matter if you don't know the exact date? I have 3 gmail accounts actually but don't know the exact date I created any of them. Is there any way to find out that information for future? Hmm...Wonder if I should create a different gmail account where I would know that...but what a pain.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2009, 06:23 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Because there's no reason to. True it takes a little space, but you will probably never run out of space. It doesn't slow things down to have a ton of old emails around.

The advantages of having your old emails around are huge. You can find that password for the application you installed 4 years ago, for example.
That was Google's recommendation when I signed up during the early beta phase. If I recall correctly, GMail originally came with a gig of storage and I figured it would eventually fill up. So I got in the habit of keeping everything that may have any value but I delete useless stuff (e.g. an exchange about where to eat dinner). I just checked my settings and saw that I am using 3% of my current 7.4 G allotment so maybe I will never run out. But I create a ton of useless stuff since I email time sensitive reminders, links and other junk to myself (e.g. travel itineraries) that I know I will never have a future use for. When I police my inbox I first delete all that stuff then archive all the stuff I may have use for.

I also use Google docs and the Google spread sheet for storing copies of stuff I want to make sure is accessible anywhere I go. The Gmail calendar is a life saver. I have a severe case of CRS syndrome so I set the calendar to send me email reminders a day ahead and a second reminder a few hours ahead. Gmail copies my Blackberry so I get my reminders on the move.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:35 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I disagree with T-Al's "don't delete any email ever" rule. I keep anything of any value at all, like the password email he mentioned. And I work the folders well (finance has sub folders, fantasy football, funny stuff, family, etc). But unless you never get any spam, requested but unneccesary sales stuff (like my TigerDirect mailers), e-zines and mailing list stuff that you've read once, notifications that your CC statement is available, useless joke messages from friends, etc, I think there is plenty to delete without any penalty. If I want to look something general up that I once read, I don't dig through my email, I use Google. I've had email since 1984. If I had (or even could have) kept all of it, I can guarantee I wouldn't be able to find what I was looking for amongst all the well organised detritus. Even with getting rid of junk, and not counting my old w*rk email (which I have archived and stored for some reason), I have GBs of the stuff. Keep anything that is personal, even potentially useful, or just interesting, and get rid of the rest of it. Just like in real life, hoarding is not a useful trait.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:02 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Is the exact date only one thing among many and if you know everything else it doesn't matter if you don't know the exact date? I have 3 gmail accounts actually but don't know the exact date I created any of them. Is there any way to find out that information for future? Hmm...Wonder if I should create a different gmail account where I would know that...but what a pain.
Here is the url for account recovery:

https://www.google.com/support/accou...pe=ara&ctx=ara

If I remember correctly, I did have to enter an account creation date, or it would not let me submit the form. (which I had no clue...who does? I just entered a date to get the form to submit)

If you check the "do you use gmail for this account" box, they will give you more options of what they require. Since this was a "throwaway" account, I didn't spend much time trying to figure out what is required for them to reinstate my account. I just got back automated responses saying I did not provide enough info, and to try again....
tgotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:57 AM   #45
Administrator

Another thumbs up for gmail from me. I have used it for years and it is extremely reliable and easy to use for all the reasons mentioned above.

One feature not mentioned in this thread is the Calendar feature. You can set up appointments and it will e-mail you reminders, plus you can set up your cell phone and then for really important appointments you can have it send an sms to your phone - great for forgetful folks like yours truly