Join Early Retirement Today

Go Cavs! Shaq is in the house...
Old 06-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Go Cavs! Shaq is in the house...

Truth be told, i hate the guy. His personality sucks and his game is 10 years past its prime...

But what did we give up? not much.

GO CAVS

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #2

The main thing Cleveland gave up is room on the salary cap. This was a salary dump for the Suns, plain and simple.

It'll be interesting to see how he co-exists with LeBron. Shaq and Kobe seemed to cinflict when trying to share the spotlight, but maybe Shaq's aged enough that he realizes it's going to be LeBron's show. If he doesn't it could be rocky in the clubhouse.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #3

Exactly. It all depends on whether or not Shaq can come to terms with the fact that it's LeBron's team not Shaq's. If he can and Shaq plays like he did last year or better, then the Cavs have a chance against the Lakers in the finals next year. If Shaq's ego gets in the way then they'll be lucky to make it to the conference finals.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I hope the game doesn't come down to him making a free throw.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
I hope the game doesn't come down to him making a free throw.

no difference than ben wallace though...right? at least shaq can score...and he shot 60% last year, an NBA high
Old 06-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I think Shaq would like nothing better than to beat kobe in the finals.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Shaq? Was Bill Russell not available?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
I think Shaq would like nothing better than to beat kobe in the finals.
and he supposedly hates dwight howard (our new arch nemesis) for taking on the nickname of Superman...that was shaq's nickname back in the 90's
Old 06-25-2009, 05:06 PM   #9

uggghhh...

looks like the magic are going to acquire Vince Carter (one of my all time faves...ever since he was in college) in exhange for raefer austin, courtney lee, and tony battie

not good
Old 06-25-2009, 05:17 PM   #10

Shaq was supposedly lobbying hard to get back on the Lakers, but obviously, that wasn't going to happen. Don't know what help he is going to be to the Cavs. Doesn't seem like the missing piece or anything to me. He's still got some offensive fouls left in him as long as you want to play the slow, half court, pound it inside game.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Shaq was supposedly lobbying hard to get back on the Lakers, but obviously, that wasn't going to happen. Don't know what help he is going to be to the Cavs.
Get the other team in foul trouble early and often as they hack him repeatedly, then let LeBron go off in the second half?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #12

I would love to see Cleveland baseball or basketball win the championship. Sorry Steelers fan I hate the brownies

Anywhoo. Lets hope this is the piece of the puzzle to win it all. I have my doubts about Shaq about going up and down the court.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:56 AM   #13

LeBron and Shaq will win the championship next year, and then LeBron will be signed by the Bulls as a free agent
Old 06-26-2009, 08:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
LeBron and Shaq will win the championship next year, and then LeBron will be signed by the Bulls as a free agent

What number would he wear?
Old 06-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
What number would he wear?

DUH....23!!! Jordan will have a hissy fit, and they'll haver to give Le bron number 45..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
Truth be told, i hate the guy. His personality sucks and his game is 10 years past its prime...

But what did we give up? not much.
GO CAVS
I'm not a Shaq fan, and he's way past his prime, but he is still a beast. Noone can move him away from the paint. Le Bron and him will have a free-for-all palying the ole' 2 man game. Le Bron is probably drooling at the picks Shaq can set for him.

Heck,if Jordan can win titles with Luke Longley, Bill Weddington, and Bill Cartwright, why can't Le Bron win one with Shaq??

Old 06-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Let's see.....

(Lebron and Shaq) vs. (Kobe and Pau):

Lebron vs Kobe might be a wash. I'd give the scoring edge to Lebron but the assist and teamwork edge to Kobe. Even

Pau (in his prime) vs. Shaq (past his prime). Pau can score from anywhere on the floor, he's quicker, and can make his free throws consistently. Shaq is still a force in the middle, but doesn't have the overall game that I think Pau Gasol can offer. Edge to Lakers

Let's not forget about the rest of the team (Ariza, Odom, others). Edge to Lakers

I'm predicting a great repeat run for the PURPLE and GOLD!
Old 06-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I'm not a Shaq fan, and he's way past his prime, but he is still a beast. Noone can move him away from the paint. Le Bron and him will have a free-for-all palying the ole' 2 man game. Le Bron is probably drooling at the picks Shaq can set for him.

Heck,if Jordan can win titles with Luke Longley, Bill Weddington, and Bill Cartwright, why can't Le Bron win one with Shaq??
Because Le Bron isnt Jordan. Jordan also had Scottie Pippen who some think was one of the top 25 players ever.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I think the Mavs could use a banger like Shaq in the middle...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life_is_Good View Post
Let's see.....

(Lebron and Shaq) vs. (Kobe and Pau):

Lebron vs Kobe might be a wash. I'd give the scoring edge to Lebron but the assist and teamwork edge to Kobe. Even

Pau (in his prime) vs. Shaq (past his prime). Pau can score from anywhere on the floor, he's quicker, and can make his free throws consistently. Shaq is still a force in the middle, but doesn't have the overall game that I think Pau Gasol can offer. Edge to Lakers

Let's not forget about the rest of the team (Ariza, Odom, others). Edge to Lakers

I'm predicting a great repeat run for the PURPLE and GOLD!
Aren't Ariza and Odom in line for some BIG free agent money? Laker's can'tsign everyone.........