Join Early Retirement Today

Go daddy - not
Old 04-30-2015, 02:26 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Go daddy - not

If you are contemplating a domain name registration service, I strongly advise to chose someone else. Unless you like difficult to cancel recurring fees charged to your credit card.

It seems the company wants me to send them a photocopy of my drivers lic. as a condition to cancel. That is not going to happen.

It's under my $100 annoyance threshold, so I let them keep about $50 for renewal services of dubious value , and blocked any future charges,

I seem to remember reading when a customer is satisfied , they may tell one or two friends, and dis-satisfied , tell many more.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2015, 04:35 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh, Go daddy also is cutting ties with Danica Patrick

Quote:
A season of transition for Danica Patrick has taken on another element of uncertainty.

GoDaddy, the Sprint Cup driver's long-time primary sponsor and benefactor announced Wednesday that it will not return to NASCAR after this season, leaving one of the sport's most popular drivers and most recognized names without full-time funding as she seeks a new contract with Stewart-Haas Racing.
Danica Patrick losing GoDaddy sponsorship in 2016
Old 04-30-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Good point.
I have my domains on manual renewal. So, I have not experienced your pain.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:14 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I've used Go Daddy for years for domain registrations with no problems. I've also cancelled some that I had and didn't need any more and had no problem cancelling the auto-renewal and they didn't ask for anything from me either.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:44 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Oh, Go daddy also is cutting ties with Danica Patrick

Danica Patrick losing GoDaddy sponsorship in 2016
I like the paint scheme of her new TaxAct car better anyway.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:31 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I've used Go Daddy for years for domain registrations with no problems. I've also cancelled some that I had and didn't need any more and had no problem cancelling the auto-renewal and they didn't ask for anything from me either.

This has been my experience as well.

Sorry you had a bad experience.
outdoorgirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:42 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

In my experience they only ask for a driver's license if you make changes to a domain with protected registration.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
In my experience they only ask for a driver's license if you make changes to a domain with protected registration.
That is exactly what I am trying to cancel, speaking with the customer service agent , after security questions were answered before he would discuss the account.

The agent suggested: "Take a photo of your DL with your cell phone and e-mail it" Me: And this is authenticated how ? Agent:"Uh, I'm not sure"

I never should have bought the extra " protected registration " last year.

Next year, they can continue to " protect " if they like, but will never receive payment. Instructed the CC co to block any future charges.

They did cancel the Danica Patrick Sprint Cup car sponsorship , however , press releases indicate Danica will continue as the Go Daddy celebrity spokesperson.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:25 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
That is exactly what I am trying to cancel, speaking with the customer service agent , after security questions were answered before he would discuss the account.

The agent suggested: "Take a photo of your DL with your cell phone and e-mail it" Me: And this is authenticated how ? Agent:"Uh, I'm not sure"

I never should have bought the extra " protected registration " last year.

Next year, they can continue to " protect " if they like, but will never receive payment. Instructed the CC co to block any future charges.
You can block the charges but won't you risk losing your domain then for non-payment?
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
You can block the charges but won't you risk losing your domain then for non-payment?
That is exactly what I want ! Expire the domain name registration and so called protection.

The domain name was for a family real estate property we had for sale (street address and name.com ) I offered to transfer the domain name to the developer who bought the property,at my expense. He had zero interest.