Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2016, 03:42 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

The last movie theater we attended was the IMAX theater at the adult Space Camp in Huntsville, around 1995 or so. It was a documentary filmed on the Space Shuttle. They also showed some aerial flight around the oil field fires in Kuwait at the end of the war.

We were allowed to examine the projection system very closely and had a rather neat briefing on the sound system used, and how the movies were filmed. All after hours in the museum.

All movies should be shown in that format, it was a blast.

There's a new theater in town that has the Barcaloungers and food/beer/etc,and a senior day discount. We might try that just to say we did.

_B

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2016, 03:58 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Seems to me the last movie I actually went to see in a theatre was just before these newfangled 'talkies' came out.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:38 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I watch a movie 2 - 3 times a month. There are some weekends with no good movies, so we skip it. Both of us spend around $15 for 2 tickets for a matinee. When we go out for a movie, we have lunch at a restaurant or just grab some fast food. Popcorn & soda is too expensive, so we leave the popcorn at home. When we watch movies at home, we pop organic popcorn and use Irish butter (from grass fed cows) - the best !
Old 03-19-2016, 04:42 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

We go a couple of times a month. It just depends on the movie. I do enjoy the experience in the theatre (except for people).. the screen, sound system and even the popcorn are enjoyable to us.

In case you're interested on popcorn margins, here's a clip and a link:

The biggest moneymaker at movie theaters last year wasn't from a comic book or Steven Spielberg, and didn't involve werewolves or vampires.

Just like every year, the number one blockbuster was the concession stand and its most bankable star, popcorn.

Each year Americans eat on average about 13 gallons of the stuff - a lot of it at the movies. The bag you pay $5 for only costs the theatre about 50 cents.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 94c0611dc09c350ee61dacb75124bcfd.jpg (43.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-19-2016, 04:55 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Go to the Movies?

Do you go?
Yep

How often?
A couple times each month

Typical ticket price? Regular? Special?
This varies wildly by location and timing. Everything from $4.50 for a basic theater at matinee hours to $18 for super fancy schmancy theaters with leather recliners and 3D/IMAX/etc

Any special genre of movies? Comedy, Drama, Adventure etc.
Love em all

Buy refreshments?
Occasional popcorn.

Comfort of the seats?
When available, I love the leather recliners. It's usually only a dollar or two more than the normal uncomfortable seats.

Demeanor of the audience?
Depends on the movie!

Different theaters?
Yes

Has your attendance habit changed over the years?
Not much
Old 03-19-2016, 04:59 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

We enjoy going to the movie theater on occasion but I doubt we average over 2-3 movies per year. Most recent was The Revenant and the new Star Wars. Since we are retired we are able to go to matinees which cost $6.50, evening showings are $8.50. If you are 65 and over there is a $1.00 senior discount. Every Wednesday they have $5.00 matinees for any age but they never have a showing before 4:00 PM on $5.00 Wednesdays, go figure.

We would probably go more often but many of the shows do not appear all that interesting. If the trailers look lacking, how good can the film be? We primarily like action movies, drama, and some comedies so long as they are not too moronic.

Going to matinees during week days usually limits the audience to mostly seniors so it is fairly quiet and not too crowded. That is unless you sit too close to a couple where one is hard of hearing, their partner is continually repeating what is said to the one that should be wearing hearing aids.

The seating is fairly comfortable, but not the relining type.

We usually sneak in a snack of our own, no way we will pay concession stand prices for drinks or popcorn. Besides since they are matinees we usually combine it with lunch out just before the show so not much need for snacks anyway.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I went with a big group of girls to see the first Magic Mike movie at a small theater that served beer and wine. It was lots of fun and we definitely like the movie.
I wouldn't pay (or go for free) to see Magic Mike but I do like the idea of going into a small dark theater with a big group of women screaming with joy watching such a movie especially where they serve beer and wine.

But I digress from the OP's question. I haven't been to a theater in well over ten years. Probably more like 15+ years. I can wait for it to come out on Direct TV or NetFlix.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:58 PM   #28

We go weekly in Az during the winter - $14 for 2 senior tickets, $7.50 for extra large popcorn. Smuggle in a couple bottles of water.

We see all types of movies- in a newer theatre (very clean, nice seats, sound, etc). Docile crowd demeanor - average age is probably 65-70.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:30 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We go occasionally . We used to frequent the $2.00 movie but since we have Netflix that went by the wayside. When we go to the movies we go to a theater that has reclining seats and is less crowded. We skip the popcorn unless they have a senior special .
Old 03-20-2016, 02:12 AM   #30

Love going to the movies, would go weekly if I had the time and there were enough interesting movies to see. There are just some movies that you have to see in the theater on a large screen to get the best experience.

We tend to get the leather recliner seats when they are available, only 1 theater in the 14 plex has them so far, it is worth the extra buck or two. They even have seat heaters...

We buy our snacks there, usually a combo with two drinks and a bucket o popcorn for $11 or so. They have a rewards card that we use quite often to get a couple bucks off of concessions up to a free movie ticket at certain point levels (personally I believe sneaking food in or bringing back your free refillable tub on another day is not only tacky but unethical).

We don't like it when it is crowded so we avoid the Friday nights and usually will go to matinee when w*rk schedule allows and wait a week or two after it has been open to avoid the die hard, have to see it when it opens, people plus if it doesn't last two weeks then it was probably a movie we can wait for Redbox or Netflix. There are some exceptions to that of course, we had to see Star Wars on opening weekend. We already have our tickets for Batman v Superman and Captain America Civil war. Sundays are usually slow around here too.

One of my retirement 'dreams' is to be able to go to the matinee movie when new movies come out, Fridays at 11am, assuming I'm not sleeping in
Old 03-20-2016, 05:54 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Rarely, perhaps twice a year, in our hometown, however we attend several film festivals each year, which we thoroughly enjoy, adding another 25 or so to the mix. I would go more often here at home if I felt there were more worth seeing.

What we do do much of, for about the same cost as a movie ticket, is attend live theatre at our local university. I enjoy the energy of a live performance, and the audience is generally well behaved. Plus, no eating or devices are allowed.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:29 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We go a few times always with friends. Given that we can watch excellent movies at home, it is purely a social outing with friends. We usually go to the early movie, say around 4-5 then go out for dinner. It makes no sense financially but it is a great social event!

Plus we usually skip lunch and rely on the popcorn to tide us over to dinner. Craziness.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:04 AM   #33

I've only gone 2 or 3 times in the last 20 years. I have a 67" HD TV, good speakers, and a very comfortable chair/recliner.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:53 AM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Some curiosity questions.
Do you go?
How often?
Buy refreshments? (Here, January special is $15 bucket of popcorn, bring back the bucket, and get a refill for $4 for the rest of the year.)
Comfort of the seats?
Different theaters?
We used to go to the movies as a "date"; never bought refreshments, total cost $6 each. Seats OK, audience demeanor hideous and often ruined the experience despite almost no one in the theaters at the times when we would be there.

We don't go any more, mostly because I don't want to go. I don't like ultra-violent movies with high tension music and so many of them are like that in recent years.

The last straw for me was the insanely high volume that is literally painful. Almost every time we went we had to complain to get the volume turned down to a level that was still half deafening. I'm just not going to subject my hearing to that. And why should we pay $6 and then have to wear ear plugs? Forget it. They just aren't catering to people like us and we are perfectly happy streaming video at home.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #35

Do you go?

Yes.

How often?

4-6 times a year. Very few movies are we eager to see as soon as they come out, we are patient.

At the local Megaplex we pay $10-15 a ticket - we have their "rewards" card and surprisingly we end up with a free ticket twice a year. Sometimes one visit is with kids and some of their friends where we will treat them to a ticket (for concessions they are on their own).

In addition, we are within reasonable driving distance of a "2nd run" theater that has several screens and will show movies after they are out of the megaplexes, their tickets are always $4.50.

DW and i have different movie tastes, I lean towards action/thriller/sci-fi/horror, she leans towards historical drama/fantasy/superhero/foreign. We like comedy but IOHO much of what is comedy these days is more "gross/shock to make you laugh". So we try as best as possible to compromise. The last two movies we saw in theaters were the latest Star Wars film (her choice) and Creed (my choice).

Buy refreshments? (Here, January special is $15 bucket of popcorn, bring back the bucket, and get a refill for $4 for the rest of the year.)

We will usually share a popcorn and "small" soda (which in the Megaplex is still in a 32 ounce cup, amazing). It essentially becomes a meal for us, we will get a free refill when we leave and take it home for a snack.

Comfort of the seats?

Very comfortable.

No issues with the audience, but we really do no got to movies where the "rough" or "rowdy" crowds tends to see, nor do we go to very popular movies early in their run, we wait until the crowds are down. It has been years since we have gone to a showing that was more than 2/3 or so full. Also, the megaplex has a huge area outside of the screens where one can sit and chat, or play video games ( like a scaled down Dave and Busters), so that spreads folks out and it never seems real crowded.

Different theaters?

Just two, mentioned above, as they are both convenient (under 30 minute) drives away.

Has definitely gone down as the kids grew up and moved out. During the pre-teen and early-mid teen years we'd probably go twice a month (and DW come up with some ingenious methods of bringing our own snacks in to save money). Once the kids hit the late teens they preferred going with their friends. Interestingly now that our oldest kids are in late 20s early thirties they are interested in going to the movies with us again.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:50 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Seems to me the last movie I actually went to see in a theatre was just before these newfangled 'talkies' came out.
When I first saw your post I had to check to see if it was imoldernu who was posting.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:36 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Haven't been in years. I'm happy watching movies at home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg couch-potato-eating-watching-tv-19171507.jpg (51.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-20-2016, 02:43 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
TMI
Old 03-20-2016, 02:57 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I have to wash my eyeballs after that!
Old 03-28-2016, 04:30 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Is Sean Parker’s Screening Room the End of Movie Theaters? - The Daily Beast

Quote:
This potential development warrants no joyous fanfare, since there’s still no better way to enjoy a film than on a gigantic screen, in a pitch-black auditorium, with a bucket of popcorn, a drink, and/or choice of junk food directly at hand. That experience, at once personal and communal, is at its finest so entrancing, overwhelming, and purely entertaining that its shortcomings—screaming kids, rude patrons on their cellphones, absurdly inflated ticket and concession fees—can’t overshadow its sheer sensory majesty. It is, in short, the ideal way to see a film, be it a comedy, a romance, a drama, or a larger-than-life, louder-than-loud CGI superhero action extravaganza.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote