Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-28-2016, 03:41 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We go only occasionally if its a movie we really want to see, otherwise, we wait for the DVDs to come out, and get those from the library. We do not particularly like crowded theaters when the new movies come out, or patrons that cannot resist repeatedly checking/texting on their cellphones.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2016, 06:39 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

We used to go more frequently, say three times a month. Now with Netflix, Apple TV, Redbox, Library, etc. etc. we only go for the decent serious special effects movies like Star Wars. If it's a drama or comedy, I would actually prefer to watch it at home. If I miss a part, I can replay.

Once in a awhile, I will treat my youngest to a matinee of a good family movie. Yep, we get the popcorn, etc. and yes it does not make financial sense, but she will grow out of it soon so I want to enjoy it while I can.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:01 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
We have not been to a theater in years. It's not just the cost, but the hassle too. We'd rather watch DVDs at home, and with the subtitle turned on. I thought it was our hearing, and not the cast not talking clearly as they used to, but we have no problems with oldie movies.
NW, difficulty hearing in places such as large theatres could be an indication of preliminary hearing loss. Have you considered getting checked for it?

See this:

Hard of Hearing: Signs of Hearing Loss in Adults - Grandparents.com

Quote:
According to the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD), more than a third of people 65 to 74 have some degrees of hearing loss, while over half of those over 75 experience the same. It’s the third-most prominent issue for seniors following arthritis (#1) and heart disease (#2) and only gets worse as we get older. Most hearing loss in older adults is the combined result of aging—our ears gradually don’t work as well as they used to—and exposure to noise.

..."Some early signs include difficulty hearing in challenging listening situations, particularly when others seem not to struggle," says Dr. Battey. "For example, if you have trouble hearing in the presence of background noise, at the movies, watching television, or during telephone conversations, that may be a sign of potential hearing loss."
Old 03-28-2016, 07:02 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

We snowbird in AZ and tend to see more movies in the winter. Senior tickets run $5-6 each. I really get honked at the prices of popcorn and soda. A bottle of water is $4.50!! I can afford it but who wants to pay that? We usually get a midprice combo and share a drink. I've also taken my own snack and water from home. I wouldn't if their pricing was reasonable.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:11 PM   #45

I can't even remember the last movie I saw in a theater or when. I received a couple movie passes from work as a small thank-you gift about 9 months ago, they're still waiting to be used. At least I did not lose them (yet......).

I watch an occasional movie at home, but in general just not a movie person that much.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:03 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
We have not been to a theater in years. It's not just the cost, but the hassle too. We'd rather watch DVDs at home, and with the subtitle turned on. I thought it was our hearing, and not the cast not talking clearly as they used to, but we have no problems with oldie movies.
The overloud theater audio had us literally sticking gummy bears in our ears! Never again!

We love our home A/V setup.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:11 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I envy the movie and popcorn prices I see quoted here!

DH and I cannot agree on movie choices, so we end up going only 3-4 times a year while I would otherwise see 12 movies a year.

Regular tickets are $10.50, matinee is $8.00, and occasionally we'll get 3-D for $13.00. I love movie buttered popcorn. It costs $8-$10 for large.

The other customers are very well-behaved. No problems with cell-phones or texting in a darkened theatre. I am, however, embarrassed to say that my DH cannot stop chattering throughout the movie, laughing inappropriately during quiet moments, making comments that I am not interested in hearing. I have shushed him repeatedly. I am surprised that no one has yet kicked his chair or said "Will you guys shut up!" It almost seem pathological.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:37 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Just went to a movie, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2. Great movie, I was laughing throughout the show. The best part was I had $2 left from a $20 after buying 2 tickets, a large popcorn and 2 drinks! I love matinée showings!

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-03-2016, 08:34 AM   #49

I go to 3 specific theaters I know will be a positive experience. I avoid certain theaters, due to very annoying and loud commercials they start about a half hour before showtime. If you want to show up early to get a good seat, you have to suffer through the ads. Not worth it. The good news is there are still some theaters that don't have the ads.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #50

I go to a movie theater only 3-4 times a year. I would go more often if I could find films that appealed to me. As it is, I usually have to drive into Pittsburgh to see a movie. I saw "The Lady in the Van" with Maggie Smith about a month ago at the Manor in Squirrel Hill. Shopped at my favorite shoe store (Little's) beforehand and my cousin and I had tea and cake afterwards at Dobra Tea where we were overwhelmed by the hundreds of exotic tea choices. So it is very nice to have a change from one's own living room.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:44 AM   #51

I have been the cinema more in the last 2 years (dating) than I have in the previous 35 (married). I found that I like movies better at home. For some unknown reason my eyes water and itch and bother me at the cinema, but not at home. And the people at the local cinema are well behaved too (re talking, and smart phones)

I have a home theater system and the sound is better. The picture is bigger at the cinema, but not as sharp. My seats are better and so is the popcorn from the "whirley pop" Not to mention cocktails and potty breaks.

I also have a projector with a pull down screen that really puts the "theater" into the movie. Pretty cool.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:02 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

We have gone to the movies more in the last 3 months (since retiring) than we normally went in 2 years! It helps that the nearest theater is less than a mile away, and they have $6 Tuesday. !! And this includes reclining suite seats, with bun warmers!!
It is an inexpensive afternoon out, and we are seeing films we might never even look for on Netflix.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Go to the Movies?
Old 04-08-2016, 07:55 PM   #53

Go to the Movies?

Not often, 2-3 times a year. The last one we saw at a dollar theater was the Martian. It was enjoyable. We now get movies from library for free, even then I didn't have the patient to watch Brad Pitt in Babel. For some reasons, we never watched Dances with Wolves and Blackhawk down. So that's what we watch for free. I finally have the patience to watch 2-3 hours of Kevin Costner. I don't think I could before I retired.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-09-2016, 04:48 AM   #54

Last weekend saw Eye in the Sky with DW. It portrays a very real world dilemma and was quite good.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:23 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

I take my great nephew to see all the superhero flicks. Great time for the both of us. I started by taking his Dad and brother when they were young and now it's the next generation. Wonder if I can last another generation?
Old 08-12-2016, 08:29 PM   #56

We just watched The Martian and loved it.......DW is a bit of a science/computer nerd, whereas I can barely tell the time using a digital watch, but we were both enthralled through the entire thing.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #57

The Martian was very good.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:09 AM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ever since they redid our movie theater with leather reclining seats we enjoy the movies so much more . We usually go about four to six times a year .
Old 08-13-2016, 10:36 AM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

We go maybe 2X a month if there is something we would like to see on a big screen. It is always the first show (late morning or early afternoon) that has reduced ticket prices and it is usually for movies that are best seen on a large theater screen. Otherwise we can wait for Netflix. That also means no more than 10 people in the theater so we get the seats we like. Other than bringing in ear plugs and the initial annoying light from cell phones it works well for us.

We don't buy popcorn and drinks at the inflated prices either although movie popcorn is my favorite. Wish there was a way to duplicate it at home.

There is no way I will pay higher prices to have less than desirable seats in a crowded theater with so may rude inconsiderate people.

Cheers!
Old 08-14-2016, 12:03 AM   #60

Get to a Senior movie ($1) a couple of times in the summer. Other than that, it's not worth the effort and money. Most movies are a waste of time and money IMO. I can deal with a matinee or the Senior movie, but can't deal with the date-night crowd with loud talking and cell phones. Who wants to pay $11 and be subjected to that? Obviously, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote