Join Early Retirement Today

Re: going on my first ever buisness trip.....
Old 06-29-2006, 01:57 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
The one activity to approach carefully is drinking. If you are offered a drink nurse it throughout the evening, or pass. If the boss drinks a lot offer to be the designated driver.

Also, always bring one more set of slacks, shirts than you think you need.

(edited for spelling)
my direct boss is a self proclaimed alcoholic, and the owner is a jehova. should be interesting
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2006, 02:10 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed
usually that poor sucker is poor because he spends his money on booze and coke. and because he never paid his bills when he had the ability to, trashed his credit, and is charged 25% interest on everything hebuys finances.
True story: *about a month ago I was on a business trip driving from Salt Lake City to Laramie, Wyoming for depositions. *I pull into a Burger King drive-through in some sad little town in Wyoming, and when I pull up the the window to get my chow, the girl (probably 19 or 20 years old) who gave me my food complimented me on my car. *My car is a resonably slick-looking 2003 Nissan 350Z that I bought used, and don't owe any money on. *Anyway, this girl volunteers that she just bought a new car -- a 2006 Chevy Cavalier, I think, or something in that range. *I congratulated her on her purchase, but expressed surprise that she could buy a brand new car. *Again, she volunteered that while she loves the car, the monthly payments are hard for her -- $350 or so per month, and that she's paying 22% interest. *I asked her why she would buy a brand new car that she can barely afford. *Her answer: *She has bad credit, and so this is a way to "rebuild" her credit. *

I just smiled, felt bad for her, and drove on. *This poor, clueless girl has been led down the primrose path by some car salesman. *It's a shame that she obviously simply hasn't been educated about smart money management. *I can imagine that if I had grown up in different circumstances, I might be equally foolish. *This is one of the reasons for the cycle of poverty.*

I thank my parents for instilling some sense in me.
SLC Tortfeasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:20 PM   #23

SLC Tortfeasor:

It is kind of sad that those people who can't manage money end up paying the most for everything and those that can least afford it pay the most.

However in many many cases, they made their own circumstances.

You can't protect them from themselves.

I suspect though that that girl with the 22 percent car loan could probably re-finance it at a much better rate if she'd just shop around. Car dealerships aren't exactly known for low-rate loans.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:26 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

On topic, Fed, you might want to bring earplugs, or headphones with music. Some business hotels can be "hotel party" hotels, it happens to me about once a year.

laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
On topic, Fed, you might want to bring earplugs, or headphones with music. Some business hotels can be "hotel party" hotels, it happens to me about once a year.

thanks for reminding me...i want to use the portable mp3 player i got 2 years agao and HAD to have...lol...

thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:13 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

In my former job, I would get sent out of state on work-related details for 3 weeks at a time. When I was in my 20's, it wasn't so bad. You could save a lot on per diem if you didn't eat at fancy places everyday, and I enjoyed the experience of being in a new town.

But there was always the nagging feeling of meeting assignment deadlines, and it was not possible to just relax (at least not for me). After about the first 5 years, it grew old real fast and became a pain in the . Being single, I had to always find someone to take care of my cat, collect my mail, water my plants, etc. It made it difficult to buy tickets in advance for sports/performing arts events or to sign up for extended recreational type classes because we were only given a week or two notice of when we had to go. It got to the point where many of us would do anything to get out of the travel. We'd try to plan our vacations during the times when we knew the travel was required, or we'd say things like "Let the young ones go, they like to travel!"

Now that I am retired, I don't have to worry about any of the above! 8)
Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:30 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toejam
It got to the point where many of us would do anything to get out of the travel.* We'd try to plan our vacations during the times when we knew the travel was required, or we'd say things like "Let the young ones go, they like to travel!"*
Now that I am retired, I don't have to worry about any of the above!* * 8)
So now that you're retired, are you traveling again?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:25 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Reasonably accurate, but you forgot:

3a) having dinner with the client for a couple of hours even though you are exhausted
3b) checking e-mail and possibly doing work after dinner
5a) getting stuck in some godforsaken place due to weather/plane problems/space aliens/whatever
And then add..

7) Going in an hour early the next day to catch up on emails and other business before the day officially starts.
polloloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:02 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
So now that you're retired, are you traveling again?
Hi Nords:

Just short trips of a day or two within the state. I haven't had a burning desire to travel since my retirement in March 2004. However, I recently discussed with some friends a possible trip to one of the following countries next year: Iceland, Japan, or England. Right now, I am enjoying my new hobby of cooking and gardening/growing my own vegetables for the summer. Prior to retiring, my chaotic and demanding job made it difficult to fully enjoy these simple pleasures. I think I'm really a homebody at heart.

Toejam
Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:01 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toejam

"Let the young ones go, they like to travel!"

Reminds me of a businees trip my boss sent me on when I was in my mid 20s. Sent me to Minneapolis.* From San Francisco.* In January.* And I was thrilled.
califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 03:00 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

While I never did alot of traveling, I found the best trips were when I was alone. Without a boss or companion, you can squeeze in some sightseeing and tourism if you plan ahead. Without that diversion, business trips should be avoided at all costs.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:37 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

While I had enjoyable experiences with international business travel myself, I always found approving the expense reports of my direct reports the most amusing thing ever!* ** I always liked to hire creative, out-of-the-box types and my success at finding those types was always manifested big time when they did their expense reports.* My only disappointment was that after a decade or so, truly new scams creative entries became rare.* The newbies couldn't think of many ways to pad, exaggerate, bend the truth, account for their personal spending I hadn't seen many times before!
Old 07-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This brings to mind a travel voucher submitted by an OSHA employee for a trip to Alaska.* The conditions require that he purchase special boots that were required by the enviornment inspected, he put them on the travel voucher.* Reimbursement was rejected.* ** *

The next voucher was submitted with the comment "You find the boots!".*

He evidently hid them well as full payment was made.* *