Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Going the way of the dodo bird
Old 01-04-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Going the way of the dodo bird

The incandescent light bulb may soon become extinct.

IKEA Pulls the Plug on All Incandescent Light Bulbs

The story of Thomas Alva Edison and the incandescent bulb is detailed here. Thomas Edison - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He was not the original inventor. I learned something new today.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Hmm!! I like incandescent bulbs, and my energy bills for this 1600 square foot house, including air conditioning in the heat of New Orleans summers, averaged $83/month last year. I'd sure like to continue using incandescent bulbs and I turn them off when not in use.

So, I looked up the legislation in Wikipedia, and found this little gem:

Quote:
Various specialty bulbs, including appliance bulbs, "rough service" bulbs, colored lights, plant lights, and 3-way bulbs, are exempt from these requirements as well as light bulbs currently less than 40 watts or more than 150 watts.
So let's see - - I could put my big lamps on 3-way bulbs, my small lamps on bulbs less than 40 watts, and other than that, make abundant use of colored lights, I suppose. I wonder if "rough service" bulbs include bulbs for ceiling fans.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
.........I'd sure like to continue using incandescent bulbs and I turn them off when not in use...........
Not to worry. I replaced nearly all my incandescent bulbs and I have boxes of them to give away. I'm sure I'm not alone.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Out of curiosity, anybody using alternative dimmable bulbs? We have mostly dimmable switches, and I like the flexibility. I tried some (supposedly) dimmable CFL, but they suck. Completely worthless. I haven't tried the LEDs or halogen. For the most part I dislike LED light quality, but I'm willing to try. As far as halogens, are they really that much more efficient than incandescents for the price difference? I guess I'll go stock up on incandescents, but after 10 years or so I'll have to make the switch. Maybe the technology will be better by then.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here's one incandescent bulb that will never be changed for a CFL or LED:

Livermore's Centennial Light
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #6

I bought a bunch of CFL bulbs a few years ago. I HATE, HATE, HATE the greenish-tinged color of light that they throw off, so I switched back to CFLs.

From the IKEA article, I learned that only 14% of Americans, like me, are "very concerned" about the light color of CFLs.

I may have to go on a shopping spree and buy some cases of incandescent bulbs to tide me over for a while.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Out of curiosity, anybody using alternative dimmable bulbs? We have mostly dimmable switches, and I like the flexibility. I tried some (supposedly) dimmable CFL, but they suck. Completely worthless. I haven't tried the LEDs or halogen. For the most part I dislike LED light quality, but I'm willing to try. As far as halogens, are they really that much more efficient than incandescents for the price difference? I guess I'll go stock up on incandescents, but after 10 years or so I'll have to make the switch. Maybe the technology will be better by then.
Our entire upstairs lighting is 'incandescent free'. All the fixed lights are halogen or pressurized xenon lamps, on dimmer circuits, and the various lamps, which don't dim, use CFL bulbs.

Halogen and xenon lamps are more efficient than the older incandescent bulbs, and are available with the standard Edison base and familiar bulb shape, if you need a bulb that matches a table lamp's harp or bulb-mounted shade. They're also in candelabra base bulbs.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It's true that some CFLs have greenish lights. But the ones that work well, I cannot tell the difference from incandescent bulbs. But then, I may be either color-blind color-challenged or easy-minded.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It's true that some CFLs have greenish lights. But the ones that work well, I cannot tell the difference from incandescent bulbs. But then, I may be either color-blind color-challenged or easy-minded.
Agreed. Although my CFLs are not quite the same color temperature as incandescents, they are pretty close, and quite warm in color.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:21 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Our entire upstairs lighting is 'incandescent free'. All the fixed lights are halogen or pressurized xenon lamps, on dimmer circuits, and the various lamps, which don't dim, use CFL bulbs.

Halogen and xenon lamps are more efficient than the older incandescent bulbs, and are available with the standard Edison base and familiar bulb shape, if you need a bulb that matches a table lamp's harp or bulb-mounted shade. They're also in candelabra base bulbs.
I will have to try some of those alternative lamps upsatirs in our reading lamps. I have ceiling floods in the kitchen and basement and have switched to dimmable florescents --- they suck big time. I tried regular florescents but they burned out in weeks (because of the dimmers I assume). At the rate they were burning out my carbon footprint must have skyrocketed and expenses were out of sight.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Agreed. Although my CFLs are not quite the same color temperature as incandescents, they are pretty close, and quite warm in color.
Mine too... I found that there are different hues. I bought some that had a very eerie glow to them, kinda like florescent tubes and a very cold feeling. But, I use the soft white ones and they throw off a nice warm light. I have them all over the house in recessed fixtures, lamps...everything. I have long ones and short ones for lamps. I buy mine at Sam's, Sylvania soft white.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #12

Almost all of our incandescent bulbs were replaced with CFLs about 5 years ago. Apart from a few defective ones, they have lasted at least several years, and most are still going strong.

The first ones we got had a very harsh light, which DW disliked. But the ones we've bought in the last few years have had a warmer, more natural light that is practically indistinguishable from the old incandescents.

We still have a couple of high intensity reading lamps, and the little bulbs in the garage door opener (probably what they mean by "rough usage" since they're vibration resistant).

Considering the greatly increased service life, I doubt if they're much more expensive in the long run.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #13

Now when LED bulbs come down in price and are available in pleasing color temperatures, we will have hit the jackpot, IMHO.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #14

My mother had saved an original light bulb from when I have no idea, but you would not believe how thick the glass is on it. Must be 50X thicker than today's.

Lowe's told me last week when I went to buy bulbs that they are doing totally away with the old ones now. Be prepared if you love the old style and stock up NOW.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Mine too... I found that there are different hues. I bought some that had a very eerie glow to them, kinda like florescent tubes and a very cold feeling. But, I use the soft white ones and they throw off a nice warm light. I have them all over the house in recessed fixtures, lamps...everything. I have long ones and short ones for lamps. I buy mine at Sam's, Sylvania soft white.

I'm encouraged to hear that they've improved the color of CFLs. Do they still take a while to get to full brightness?

And does anyone have any input on how LEDs compare to incandescents (color-wise?) I'm assuming they go to full brightness immediately.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #16

wonder how much the price of light bulbs for fridges and ovens etc will go up?
Old 01-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
I'm encouraged to hear that they've improved the color of CFLs. Do they still take a while to get to full brightness?
Mine take about a minute to ramp up. However, I heard there are new bulbs that cut that time down a lot. However, they are about 40% more than my "old ones"..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Skirting EU law: The rebranding of incandescent bulbs as 'Heat Balls' | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Hmmm. Used to go around the house shutting off lights in the summer and saying "little heaters" while doing so. This German is selling the feature.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Not to worry. I replaced nearly all my incandescent bulbs and I have boxes of them to give away. I'm sure I'm not alone.
Hang onto 'em. They could become as valuable as Topps Bubble Gum baseball rookie cards or Beatles' metal lunch boxes.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Or Beanie Babies!