Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-17-2011, 06:59 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Turned off my land line about 5 years ago. After seeing how low my cell phone usage was I switched from a monthly to a pre-paid plan. My last $100 refill lasted about 9 months.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You folks who use DSL- how do you get your TV signal?

I pay way too much for Comcast bundled land line, cable and internet ($123/mo, and I have to call them and complain every 6 months to avoid being stuck with more.) but to drop the phone alone would save me almost nothing.

I am not sure I could go without cable- I would probably hate it during the NCAA basketball tournement or other similar events.

Are all of you using broadcast?

Ha
We just recently dropped cable <gasp!>. Yes, the biggest issue is sports coverage that would be on ESPN, primarily certain NFL football games. DH is assessing how much he misses it as we go along. He is also going to try out ESPN3 (which you can get with certain DSL hookups, like AT&T). It sounds like you can watch lots of college sports on ESPN3, but not the pro football.

The jury is still out, but we are quite pleasantly surprised with the transition so far. We are finding we watch t.v. less, are reading more, and are getting more of other stuff done. Plus, there are public channels available that we didn't even know existed. One show is called "Create" and is like HGTV/Food Network (ok, not as good, but it gives me my cooking show fix when I need it.) We also are enjoying a free local music channel and there also is a free weather channel. I was really surprised to see what is out there on the airwaves that is free.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #23

No cable here nor a landline. We dropped it a year or more ago. The naked DSL from ATT was on the $14.95 special for a long time, but we just got bumped up to the $19.95 one. It is the DSL light, which is plenty fast for us, really.

Go for it, Rich! And like they've said, faxes are pretty rare--emailed attachments are the norm now.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Rich, even we at Ohana Nords have eFax.
Sometime before I retired my firm went to a mostly electronic system and each of us were assigned our own fax numbers. It made life much easier to simply pick the fax off the computer or if you needed the paper, send it to a printer. However, fewer and fewer things are now faxed and most seem to use scanned documents if people want to see signatures.

Rich, I really recommend the eFax option. I have noticed that Realtors have been slow to leave the fax system. My spouse bought a townhome last year. The real estate agent was always wanting to fax documents to him to sign. We had her scan them in an email to us and we would print, scan and email back. No issues with that.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Rich, even we at Ohana Nords have eFax. (It's free if you don't mind getting an area code for somewhere like Fargo, ND.) It's always worked and I've never had to worry about coordinating phone lines, computers, or answering machines. I can't remember for sure but I suspect we started using it in the 1990s. No complaints.

I've had it for so long that I hardly ever get a fax anymore. Almost everything that I used to get by fax now comes from e-mail or a secure download from a website.

I can't remember the last time I actually sent a fax. For our PenFed refi we sent an e-mail with about 20 attachments that were easier to download as PDFs (brokerage statements) and attach, or quicker to scan (rental property lease agreement) and attach as a PDF, than to fax.

But I've never owned a dedicated fax machine and we only pay ~$25/month for our landline. Now if there was some way to watch HGTV without paying a $60/month cable bill I'd be a lot more financially motivated...
You can get HGTV if you get a Roku box. Only $60 and then you can HGTV on it. It is not live. Not sure if it is more than a day old. You have to go on their web site for channel line up and add it on your account. You can also subscribe to Netflix for $8.99 a month, which gives you lots of movies and stuff to watch.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
The real estate agent was always wanting to fax documents to him to sign. We had her scan them in an email to us and we would print, scan and email back. No issues with that.

You can avoid the whole print and re-scan dance.

How can I manually sign a Word document without printing it?

Basically, sign a blank sheet, scan it, and turn it into a picture file with a transparent background. Keep that on file. Paste this onto any electronic doc, save it and send it back.

-ERD50
Old 01-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

Basically, sign a blank sheet, scan it, and turn it into a picture file with a transparent background. Keep that on file. Paste this onto any electronic doc, save it and send it back.

-ERD50

Cool! Thanks.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
Or skip a step: Any camera (cell phone even) will, in one step, create a jpeg image that can be Pasted into any document.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I have a landline only because it is bundled into my TW All In One contract for Internet, cable, and security and fire monitoring. I get a nice discount on my home insurance for that security/fire system.
I use the land line occasionally for the free long distance and local calls from home, versus chewing up minutes on my cell.
I provide my home phone for non-time-critical callers. I provide my cell to people I need to hear from in real time.
My cell has a camera, which I use to send pix to friends' or my own email. I'm not a rabid texter, but it sure comes in handy for "I'll be 15 minutes late".
Old 01-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #30

Quote:

I pay way too much for Comcast bundled land line, cable and internet ($123/mo, and I have to call them and complain every 6 months to avoid being stuck with more.) but to drop the phone alone would save me almost nothing.

I am not sure I could go without cable- I would probably hate it during the NCAA basketball tournement or other similar events.

Ha
Ha,
I have Qwest providing land-line and DSL service. For now I need the land line for condo association business using my multifunction printer. Comcast provides extended basic cable. The landline excludes long distance and I use T-Mobile's pay as you go for long distance.

-- Rita
Old 01-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
You can get HGTV if you get a Roku box.
Thanks! - I did not know this. I never saw HGTV in the lineup (we've only had our Roku boxes since Christmas) - googling showed you need to add it as a "Private Channel" via the computer, then leave/re-enter the 'channel store' to pick it up on the box:

You need to login here: owner.roku.com ; then enter HGTV code.

I found some background info here:

TheEndless's channels for the Roku DVP!

-ERD50
Old 01-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Or skip a step: Any camera (cell phone even) will, in one step, create a jpeg image that can be Pasted into any document.
Yes, but sometimes you may want the transparent background, so it 'signs on the dotted line' rather than obscuring the line. Probably not a big deal, but according to some of those instructions, I used the "png" file format, which supports transparent backgrounds, AFAIK, jpeg does not. You could still use the camera, and convert in photo editing software (I used GIMP on Linux), to get the transparency - or just paste over the line with jpeg.

-ERD50
Old 01-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Dropped our landline years ago, never regretted it at all. We have cable internet, but I may go to "dry loop DSL" (learned about it here!) one day. I can't imagine ever having a landline again, I'd bet they'll go the way of the slide rule in the next 10-20 years, at least for individuals. May take longer for businesses to drop conventional phones.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post

Sound reasonable? Anyone have any problems going cell only?
You're not going cell only, you're going cell + voip. Like many others on this thread, I don't see any problem. We use Vonage instead of Magic Jack, but only because of a very high number of int'l calls. The only problem we've had is when we've lost cable service and had to use the cell phones to deal with comcast. They are not at all concerned about numerous, lengthy phone calls with extended hold times.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #35

We dropped the landline over 5 years ago.

I'm sure you thought about it, but make sure you have enough minutes/roaming charges if applicable, car/home charger, decent signal in the areas you use your cell phone.

If you use a smart phone, consider the insurance plan as they are pretty pricey to replace, but depends how you treat your phones.

Good luck.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:

Ha
I don't have TV anymore.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Cell-only since 1902 2007. Absolutely do not miss the landline.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:15 PM   #38

Never got a cell phone. No one calls me if I don't want to answer (ie. not home).
Old 01-19-2011, 01:17 AM   #39

We had cell phones and Vonage (VOIP) for several years with a very cheap landline for back up.

Recently dropped the landline and Vonage. We did pay about $25-30 a year to Skype to be able to make calls to phones from it (I use it a lot while sitting at my computer).

The big issue was faxes since I have a low need to fax but still occasionally need to do so. We had Myfax for awhile at $10 a month but it was not cost effective so dropped that. Still can't find a good solution for sending faxes that isn't too costly.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #40

For faxes, you have two options. You can get a fast scanner like ScanSnap, then scan your document and e-mail it directly from the ScanSnap program by dragging and dropping it into e-mail. If it has to be in a scan format for some legal reasons, then you can scan the document, and buy a program called Snappy Fax, which will send the document via fax. You need to have a telepone cord in your computer to fax it (but that only works if you have a phone line) so if you want to get rid of the land line, Snappy Fax won't do ya.

When someone wants me to fax them something, I always ask if I can e-mail it instead. Most times they say it is ok.