Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Golf
Old 07-12-2006, 11:08 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
IntoTheMystic: Glad to hear that you were able to get the shafts that will be appropriate for your swing speed. (My work is almost done).

Make sure after you get your equipment that you take a few lessons from a good pro, getting the foundation laid for working on "muscle memory" at the range. (This will pay dividends for a lifetime).
Wish I had paid attention to similiar good advice when I first started playing without lessons and the cheapest clubs available. Years of frustration and wasted time would have been better spent.

There should be a guy checking all new players and turning away from the course all newbies who have cheap clubs and no lessons. The retention rate for new golfers would skyrocket. Of course some of the fun of playing would go out the window, because I get a laugh every time I play from watching what some people do on the course (much of it things I did at least once long ago).

As to the debate on sex vs golf - why not combine the two? For years my wife was a much better player than I was (she played five days a week while I worked) - the stakes for betting were "personal services" rather than cash. It was very big incentive for me to become a better player!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2006, 01:37 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi,

Lessons are a good idea if you are just starting out before bad habits develop.

I've been golfing 20 years. Had real back problems back then and developed a swing that I could do for 18 holes. I am a 14 handicap but have the ugliest most unorthodox swing you ever saw. (They filmed me in Maui getting a birdie 10 years ago and sold me the DVD about 10 years ago. When I saw it I thought about quitting (for 5 minutes) it was so pathetic).

I'm 5'9 190 lbs, gym 3-4 days a week lift weights and average about 190-200 on a drive.

DW is 5'5 weighs 145 and hits the damn thing 220 on avearge with the occasioanl 250 yard blast. She's very athletic and has a perfect swing and I taught her (partially by watching me and doing the opposite).

Best golf adice I ever got was:

"A stiiff shaft and a smooth stroke gets it in the hole every time".

Fore!

Guy who works in Wally's office...

Old 07-27-2006, 04:29 PM   #23

The irons arrived and I'm loving 'em.
Also got an Adams RPM 3 Wood and ordered a Cobra Baffler 3 Hybrid.

Tomorrow No 2 son and I take a joint hour lesson from the pro.
My first lesson! after 45 years of doing it my way...

Old 07-27-2006, 08:08 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F M All
Time for a poll?

Would you rather spend 4 hours at Nord's hobby or Jarhead's?

Perhaps not - too many predictable responses.
I'll take 30 minutes of the first hobby and 3.5 hours of the second....then everyone is happy.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:09 PM   #25

More skin being shown on the LPGA Tour....

Old 09-05-2006, 03:26 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

the concept of golf is hard for me to grasp..lets see is it the balls go in the hole and the club stays out?
Old 09-05-2006, 07:54 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheMystic
More skin being shown on the LPGA Tour....

Daddy likes!*
Old 09-05-2006, 08:13 AM   #28

well...as long as I'm thinking about this...here's a gallery of current LPGA sightings just to keep us up to date on current fashions....the next button is top right and also a previous if you need to review...

http://www.golfdigest.com/photos/gfw...dex=1&g_id=285
Old 09-05-2006, 08:22 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
well...as long as I'm thinking about this...here's a gallery of current LPGA sightings just to keep us up to date on current fashions....the next button is top right and also a previous if you need to review...

http://www.golfdigest.com/photos/gfw...dex=1&g_id=285
I recommend not clicking on the previous button.**
Old 09-05-2006, 08:26 AM   #30

You mean this one Dog....

I don't think Sean approves...
Old 09-05-2006, 09:54 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You mean this one Dog....

I don't think Sean approves...
Yup.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:06 AM   #32

I'm still out chasing the ball around here in Minnesota and will be doing so all this week - supposed to be around 50
Old 11-20-2006, 08:31 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
I'm still out chasing the ball around here in Minnesota and will be doing so all this week - supposed to be around 50
Amazing. 50 is the high today in central Mississippi. November has been cooler than normal for us.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:32 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Still wacking a few in the DC area. Going out Friday will working friends.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:26 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Well, I have a little to add:

I have been playing golf for 30 years. My uncle got me a set of ALUMNIMUM shaft irons from First Flight..........

I quit playing for about 10 years, then picked it up again. I am blessed with be able to hit the ball a long ways, but accuracy is an issue. I can routinely hit the ball 280-290 yards, and usually hit 15 drives a year that reach 300 or a little better.

However, my handicap wavers between 12 and 20 depending on how much I play. I always use stiff flex in the irons and woods. I met a professional clubmaker that is really good at fitting. He made me a complete set of hybrid woods, 3, 5, and 7 . He also made me a driver that seems to be working well. I am going to have him make me a custom set of irons, which will be the first custom set I have ever owned..........as a gift to myself for coming in under budget for the household for the 4th year in a row..........

My uncle ( a scratch player) had the best comment ever about golf:

"Most golfers go about it all wrong........they spend $1000-$1500 on clubs and expect the equipment will be the difference. In reality, they should spend about $500 on clubs, and the OTHER $500-$1000 on LESSONS, and then they might enjoy the game"..............

Great thread, I am learning lots. I have my own "rule" to score better at golf, I call it the 45/45/10 rule:

Spend 45% of your practice time putting
Spend 45% of your practice time hitting shots from 100 yards and in.
Sepnd 10% of your time hitting driver, woods, and long irons......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:07 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
... the 45/45/10 rule:

Spend 45% of your practice time putting
Spend 45% of your practice time hitting shots from 100 yards and in.
Sepnd 10% of your time hitting driver, woods, and long irons......
This is good advice - I do spend way too much time practicing irons & woods - I just like seeing those balls take off and land near the flag(when they do)!
Took my first lesson this year after 45 years of slashing and slamming....the pro said and sounds right - that 40% of you're shots are putting - add in the close in shots and well you can really have a big impact on your score...

Have been netflixing Leadbetter DVDs and subscribing to Golf & G Digest - making some progress, right now switching my swing to the one where you rely on your hands to turn over at impact (in Golf mag October - The Power Move)- I'm hitting further and gotten rid of my tendency to hit right -which I preferred to call a strong fade - now I tend to either hit it straight or draw it so learning to aim more right ..I going out in a little bit to work on my irons and wedges..another fun day!
Old 11-20-2006, 11:30 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is good advice - I do spend way too much time practicing irons & woods - I just like seeing those balls take off and land near the flag(when they do)!
Took my first lesson this year after 45 years of slashing and slamming....the pro said and sounds right - that 40% of you're shots are putting - add in the close in shots and well you can really have a big impact on your score...

Have been netflixing Leadbetter DVDs and subscribing to Golf & G Digest - making some progress, right now switching my swing to the one where you rely on your hands to turn over at impact (in Golf mag October - The Power Move)- I'm hitting further and gotten rid of my tendency to hit right -which I preferred to call a strong fade - now I tend to either hit it straight or draw it so learning to aim more right ..I going out in a little bit to work on my irons and wedges..another fun day!
I love crushing a drive down the middle, or hitting a 3-wood onto the green on a par 5 in two........but I am beggining to appreciate MORE the 60 degree flop shot to a tight pin runnign away from me.....and stopping it within 5 feet..........I've been working on flop shots for 5 years........and they save me 3-4 strokes per 18.........

Have fun practicing today....hit a few for me, as it is 39 degrees where I'm at.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:48 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
My uncle ( a scratch player) had the best comment ever about golf:

"Most golfers go about it all wrong........they spend $1000-$1500 on clubs and expect the equipment will be the difference. In reality, they should spend about
I took up golf when I ERd after a 40 year gap. I have very inexpensive clones from pinemeadowgolf.com. Friends who are good enough to notice the difference tell me the clubs are quite good. I have taken a few lessons and am about due for more. I certainly have saved enough on clubs to pay for them.

Quote:

making some progress, right now switching my swing to the one where you rely on your hands to turn over at impact (in Golf mag October - The Power Move)- I'm hitting further and gotten rid of my tendency to hit right -which I preferred to call a strong fade
I tried that at the range a couple of weeks ago and it seemed to be working. Then I went out with a friend to the course and embarrassed myself as my shots went everywhere but straight. I will have to give it a try on the course by myself first
Old 12-09-2006, 02:36 PM   #39

I'm going out to strike some balls right now! Its 45 in Minnesota baby!
Old 12-09-2006, 06:50 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm going out to strike some balls right now! Its 45 in Minnesota baby!
I went to the golf course today, but just to walk the dog. Our greens were covered so course was closed. It will be open tomorrow. Temps s/b 60.