Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You guys do know that golf spelled backwards is flog, right?

I'm a bad, bad golfer and I've nailed a couple in one. One was on the crappy municipal course in Santa Clara and IIRC the ball went up, hit a high tension power line and went right back down into the hole. It was a short par 3 so we saw the whole thing.

Guy I was playing with told me to go and buy a lottery ticket immediately.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Had to revive the golf thread to brag about an ace! The hole played about 135, I hit a beautiful pitching wedge (at 3000+ feet I get about 5 extra yards on it) to about 10 feet in front of the pin, two bounces and in it went!
My advice would be to quit now and sell all your equipment while you're still enjoying the afterglow...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
I love tagging a drive and hitting a PW to the green! Makes me feel like I am playing the same game as the big boys. Of course I may be hitting from a different set of tees!!
Yeah, kind of like an 8-9 ft basketball goal I had in my backyard as a teenager. I could dunk the ball like my favorite NBA players.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Yeah, kind of like an 8-9 ft basketball goal I had in my backyard as a teenager. I could dunk the ball like my favorite NBA players.
Me too! Those were great days! I won many a last second game by my awesome moves or foul shots.....of course I was in the barn by myself just practicing for the big moment!

Now about this hole in one things. My son got one...nearly two in one round or so he says (actually, I know it's true). Me, Ive scared it a couple times...
Old 08-07-2008, 10:28 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Been playing for almost 30 years and no holes-in-one here. I've chipped it in a time or two from 60 yards, which is fun, and I rolled my tee shot past the flag on a short par 3, missing the pin by an inch or so.

I did shoot 39/38 the other day, but it was on a short and easy course -- bigger than an executive/par3 but not full length by any means. Still a lot of fun to see a scorecard completely filled with 3's, 4's, and 5's.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
You guys do know that golf spelled backwards is flog, right?

I'm a bad, bad golfer and I've nailed a couple in one. One was on the crappy municipal course in Santa Clara and IIRC the ball went up, hit a high tension power line and went right back down into the hole. It was a short par 3 so we saw the whole thing.

Guy I was playing with told me to go and buy a lottery ticket immediately.
Intel was a lottery ticket, eventually, no??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
I love tagging a drive and hitting a PW to the green! Makes me feel like I am playing the same game as the big boys. Of course I may be hitting from a different set of tees!!
My uncle had a saying: "whenever you think that the games easy, move back a set of tees or two"...........

This year, I was playing in Montana at altitude, and I won the long drive contest in the scramble I was playing in, 313 yards. The guy who took second told me that my drive was "stupidly long". Unfortunately, I had to hit a 4 iron to the green as it was a par 5 (531 yards).......

Old 08-08-2008, 02:33 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

For some it was. Most people held onto their shares and proudly proclaimed that they still had every single share. My old girlfriend was worth close to $8M at one point but she said it wasnt really enough. She wanted to travel a lot. I guess the good news is she's still worth a million or two.

I was considered the village idiot for selling my shares every year and diversifying. Then I suddenly became a genius.

Most of them are still working.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
For some it was. Most people held onto their shares and proudly proclaimed that they still had every single share. My old girlfriend was worth close to $8M at one point but she said it wasnt really enough. She wanted to travel a lot. I guess the good news is she's still worth a million or two.

I was considered the village idiot for selling my shares every year and diversifying. Then I suddenly became a genius.

Most of them are still working.
My business partner and I have that same issue with a bunch of GE retirees. They won't sell their shares (most of which they never paid anything for) and diversify. What's even sillier is that a LOT of that is in qualified accounts.

A tough nut to crack.............

Old 08-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Lemme guess...

"Well JEEZ...its ALWAYS gone up! Why should I sell it!"

"But its such a great company and a great stock. It'll always do better than almost anything I could diversify into!"

"I dont want to leave money on the table!"

Some of which may be true. GE is a pretty good company and into enough stuff that its fairly well diversified on its own.

But you could have said the same thing about Tyco a while back. Man has that stock just been punched.

I sort of feel bad for all the young'uns that came out of school and worked for dot coms back in the late 90's and were worth millions on paper and held on, only to end up wage slaves for the next 40 years.

But I'll tell ya. I had my heart in my throat when I clicked "sell" on 40,000 shares at 73 after it ran up from 35 the year before. About half my cells were screaming "SELLLLLLL!" and the other half were yelling "But it just doubled and the PE is still cheap compared to microsoft, cisco and all these other companies!!!"

I got to quit drinking Pepto a few weeks later when it dropped like a rock and kept going.

I almost talked myself into selling half and waiting until after 1/1/2001 to sell the other half, to break up the tax hit.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:47 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
My business partner and I have that same issue with a bunch of GE retirees. They won't sell their shares (most of which they never paid anything for) and diversify. What's even sillier is that a LOT of that is in qualified accounts.

A tough nut to crack.............
I have a buddy who went to work with Chevron out of college. He was the same way with their stock. Loaded up on it, got stock options, made a mint. Retired at 45. A couple of years ago he said he still owned all of it. The stock has had it's ups and downs(mostly up) but if I were to have a concentrated portfolio made up of one stock, this might be one to have it in.