Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-30-2009, 01:57 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2009, 03:56 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Thanks, just got back from the range and my slice was a lot better. That was a good video, and also my main problem was/is that I'm using my arms and shoulders instead of body rotation to create my swing. When I correct that I hit a lot straighter. But I'm sure this is just another big tease, just that evil golf thing trying to get me back to the fairway and then crush me like a bug.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:47 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyRetired View Post
Thanks, just got back from the range and my slice was a lot better. That was a good video, and also my main problem was/is that I'm using my arms and shoulders instead of body rotation to create my swing. When I correct that I hit a lot straighter. But I'm sure this is just another big tease, just that evil golf thing trying to get me back to the fairway and then crush me like a bug.
Yup.....that's golf.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:52 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Score??
Played pretty well. 73 with 1 double bogey, 1 bogey and 2 birdies. Senior tees though, so that would be 76-77 if played from the regular ones. Or there about.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:31 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
The reason they call it "golf" is that all the other four letter words were taken.
It is better than the reverse, flog!
Old 07-01-2009, 09:23 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Played pretty well. 73 with 1 double bogey, 1 bogey and 2 birdies. Senior tees though, so that would be 76-77 if played from the regular ones. Or there about.
Ok, you give me 4 a side, and I will play the blue tees, and we can put a small wager on it........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:24 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Ok, you give me 4 a side, and I will play the blue tees, and we can put a small wager on it........
It will have to be small, I'm on a fixed income.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #28

Played 18 holes today on a pretty challenging golf course and cured my slice! It was all about using my body instead of my arms. Of course, my short game sucked, so my score was bad (didn't break 100) but I''m happy that I drove onto the fairway off most of the tees. I was on the green in 2-3 strokes but I ended up 3- and 4-putting most of the greens. Oh, I played the pro tees instead of my usual old guy tees. And I made it past the ladies' tees off all tees, which I don't always do.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #29

Getting ready to hit the sack as 5AM is pretty early for this old time golfer. Have to leave the house at 6AM for the thirty min drive to the course. Generally about 30 guys show up between 6:30 and 6:45, ante up your $5.80 and pull names out of the hat at 6:50. First tee shot at 7AM sharp. Last week I was in the first group as a threesome and was done at 10:15. However, got rained out yesterday and it has been raining ever since. Set a record here in Tampa for most rainfall in a two day period. Tomorrow is supposed to be more of the same, "scattered thunderstorms". Even if it quits raining, the grounds have to be just soaked and will probably be a mess. But, I'll be there.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:04 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

To me the most frustrating thing about golf is that the human (male?) nature thing of using more power doesn't help. If I try to kill it, it goes sideways. Hate.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:26 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It will have to be small, I'm on a fixed income.

So are most people.... mine is my salary... it is fixed...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:32 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
So are most people.... mine is my salary... it is fixed...
Actually mine is not fixed. No SS, no pension........just investment income which continues to drop due to dividend cuts and lower interest rates. It's a phrase I like to use though, a standard phrase among retirees.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:20 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
To me the most frustrating thing about golf is that the human (male?) nature thing of using more power doesn't help. If I try to kill it, it goes sideways. Hate.
Exactly right. I try to swing smoothly with maybe 80% power. If I use more it goes into the trees on either side. My golf buddy hits them a mile but half the time the ball winds up in the trees. I tell him to back off his power, and he does so on his practice swing. But as soon as he gets ready to hit the ball you can see his face start contorting as he tries to kill the ball.

I switched from a #1 driver to a #3 wood off the tee and it helped a lot. Broke 100 again yesterday.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:43 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Actually mine is not fixed. No SS, no pension........just investment income which continues to drop due to dividend cuts and lower interest rates. It's a phase I like to use though, a standard phase among retirees.
Thread hijack... but short

Yes.... it is used by the media to show how some poor old lady that only receives SS is in such poor shape because she is on a 'fixed income'... then I saw, read or something from someone else pointing out that 'we' are also on fixed incomes.... maybe higher than the little old lady, but fixed none the less...

OK... back to the subject of golf...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyRetired View Post
Exactly right. I try to swing smoothly with maybe 80% power. If I use more it goes into the trees on either side. My golf buddy hits them a mile but half the time the ball winds up in the trees. I tell him to back off his power, and he does so on his practice swing. But as soon as he gets ready to hit the ball you can see his face start contorting as he tries to kill the ball.

I switched from a #1 driver to a #3 wood off the tee and it helped a lot. Broke 100 again yesterday.
A high loft driver might help you. Maybe a 12 degree loft. I have a Ping G5 that I fall back to when I'm not hitting my newer one well. My newer one(nickent) I can hit a little further, but not as consistent as the G5. My G5 is a 9 degree but I still hit it high and straight. You can find a used Ping G5 pretty cheap on Ebay.

12 degree ping driver, great deals on Sporting Goods, Regular on eBay!