Join Early Retirement Today

Golf Guitars and Guns
Old 12-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Golf Guitars and Guns

Golf, guitars and now- guns. Having fun going to the indoor range and disposing of a few 22LR bullets. Never thought I'd enjoy shooting but I do. My first gun was a 38 S&W Special revolver, which was probably an inappropriate gun for a beginner. I used it to qualify for my CCL and then put it in the safe for 3 years. BIL got me interested in 22's and they are perfect for these older eyes, ears and grip. Have quite a few neighbors who enjoy the range, including retired LEOs and Vets. The local hunting and fishing club sponsors outings and socials.

I don't conceal carry and have zero desire to, but it's nice hearing that plink or watching the paper fly for a couple of hours at the range...especially on a rainy day. I've also enjoyed learning an entirely new activity, including a little amateur gunsmithing and modifying pistols.

Here's my S&W Victory that has had numerous mods. It's my Frankengun.
Any other plinkers out there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1140.jpg (767.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1139.jpg (877.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1135.jpg (775.3 KB, 51 views)
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2018, 04:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have a lot of fun with my 22’s. Ruger Mark iv and Ruger 10/22. I live out in the country, so I just target shoot in my front yard.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Its been a couple years since I've gone to the range with my Glock 21SF. I really used to enjoy shooting, but the cost of .45 rounds is a bit high to just plink away a box. Maybe I will pick up a .22 and give it a try.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
Its been a couple years since I've gone to the range with my Glock 21SF. I really used to enjoy shooting, but the cost of .45 rounds is a bit high to just plink away a box. Maybe I will pick up a .22 and give it a try.

Love the 22s! Pretty much every range will rent you one for 10 or 20 bucks...try one out
Old 12-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

22s: Hammerli 208S, High Standard Military and Slant in 22LR and 22 short/Olympic, Kart .22 conversion on 1911 Essex frame, & a few thousand rounds of standard velocity CCI on the shelf. Not getting out too much any more; need to remedy that.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I live out in the country so I can shoot a lot, like maybe two or three times a month. Great hobby so yes, I'm a plinker... Mostly 22's, 9mm, 38's and 45's..

If you shoot your 22's a lot "and" you if have an accurate target pistol, once you "think" your getting to be a pretty good shot, you may want to try some Eley target ammo. It's expensive but it's amazing. Turns a good target gun/shooter into a great target gun/shooter. Don't waste your money if you don't have a good target pistol since it won't help that much.

I have a couple of High Standards (Supermatics/Citations) that can put 50 rounds of Eley target 22's through a hole the size of a quarter at 25 yds. (off a rest). Using any other high quaintly ammo and the size of that pattern will ~double. And I'm not a very good shot.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I am more of a hunter than anything else, but when the season ends I try hard to shoot handgun, rifle and trap. It is looking like my best chance at deer and elk tags next fall is in the muzzleloader season, so I picked up a .50 cal TC Hawken rifle recently that I will have t learn how to shoot in the spring.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:24 PM   #8

I enjoy shooting my Mark IV and the 10/22. Use to shoot years ago and I am getting back into it with the Mark IV. I shoot either at the range and sometimes at a friend's house. I have a CCL but have no plans to carry. I'm thinking about adding a 9mm but I'm not sure what is select.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:41 PM   #9

My favorite gun is sort of a bastardized .45. The original owner was a machinist. It was an 1911 with a 1911A1 backstrap. He also brazed a piece on the grip safety to prevent the hammer from catching the web next to your thumb.
I also have a High Standard Supermatic Citation Trophy grade that I love.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post

Spot on regarding price.. 22s are cheap entertainment
Old 12-09-2018, 07:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
22s: Hammerli 208S, High Standard Military and Slant in 22LR and 22 short/Olympic, Kart .22 conversion on 1911 Essex frame, & a few thousand rounds of standard velocity CCI on the shelf. Not getting out too much any more; need to remedy that.

Wow, some pretty exotic 22s..I will have to google them because they are not in my wheelhouse.. are they all competition pistols? I do love the CCI SV’s..great ammo...
Old 12-09-2018, 08:55 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

In 22 only a 10/22 and a Mark II. Both are nice.

We have a few 1911s. Two Wilson Combat (9mm and 45 acp), a 45 Kimber commander, Dan Wesson in a 9mm, and a Colt 10mm. The 10mm is a beast, meant for big things that want to eat you.

I reload center fire ammo. 45 ACP is a blast in a 1911. The "Wilson load" of a 200 gr. SWC on top of 5 gr(?) N-310 is a little over the top of some charts, but it's incredibly accurate and soft feeling.

When I was a kid I was the guy who put A, AA, AAA ratings on walnut gun stocks. Unfortunately I didn't bring any home.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:10 PM   #13

My self defense load was 3.5gr Bullseye, with a Norma 230 gr.half jacket hollow point
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:11 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Besides more time with my family and friends, my retirement activities consist of golf, guitars, guns and cars. Been going to the gun range on Fridays with friends to shoot my Glock 23. However, my buddy has a Sig 226 that I love. I know what's on my Christmas list!
Rdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Most of my "plinking" in the past has been along the lines of NRA Highpower Rifle, i.e. AR platform and M1 Garand. Ammunition is relatively inexpensive if purchased by the case (1000 rnds).

However, my rotator cuff injury hasn't really healed to the point that it is still painful to hold a heavy rifle. I might break out the smaller calibers as many of you have.

My .22 "fantasy" (out of idle curiosity) is to build a replica of the Israeli police 10/22 sniper rifle, probably with a dummy suppressor. Shouldn't be too expensive or difficult (all off the shelf commercial parts). That would be fun for hunting, and a hoot at the range. Then again...

-B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruger-1022-israel-660x402.jpg (53.6 KB, 29 views)
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:03 PM   #16

Play Callaway Epic metal woods, Apex irons, Fender Strat, Fender Tele, Acoustic Takmine, Shoot SA XD 9, 380 Bersa Thunder and a Ruger 22. Gave up scooter riding last year and to me cars are nothing more than a utility vehicle to get from point A golf course to point B golf course. YMMV.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:12 PM   #17

My favorite handguns to take to the hunting camp are a Ruger .357, an old .22 snub nose, and a an ugly-ass High Point 9MM. I like to blast away beween AM and PM hunts.

I shoot about 50% .38 special in the hand howitzer.... Those .357 groceries are expensive.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #18

At one point (3 yrs or so ago?) I heard there was a shortage of 22 ammo and it was very pricey to the point people were doing their own reloading. I guess no longer is the case?
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
At one point (3 yrs or so ago?) I heard there was a shortage of 22 ammo and it was very pricey to the point people were doing their own reloading. I guess no longer is the case?

I had a hard time getting 22 ammo in Illinois a few years ago. Cabelas in Phoenix had a lot. So I loaded up in Phoenix when I was there in the winter. Haven’t needed to check Illinois supply since.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
Folks who attempt to reload rim fire ammo have a short lifespan.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote