Join Early Retirement Today

Golf Swing, Camera Trick...
Old 05-14-2017, 06:30 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Golf Swing, Camera Trick...

I was going to post this on the Golf Talk thread, but I thought it might be interesting for other amateur videographers or applications.

I am relearning golf after a very long layoff, and I took my GoPro to the driving range yesterday. I set it on the fastest frame rate (60 fps), hoping I could slow it down on playback and examine my swing, and it was somewhat useful. I hadn't planned it beforehand but just for fun I started looking frame by frame, and I was ALARMED for a few minutes. At the start of the downswing the shaft is bending back some, makes sense. But just before the clubhead makes contact with the ball, the shaft appears to be significantly curved forward, that makes no sense. W T H ! It's even more exaggerated with my driver, but the graphite shafts are dark and much harder to see with the background, so I used pics with my 5-iron. For a minute I thought maybe I needed different club shafts (mine are stiff for players)!!! Sorry DW, I HAVE to buy new clubs.

But I Googled (what did we do before) and learned that unless the camera is truly slow-motion capable, there are some crazy distortions that occur - that bear no resemblance to reality. Has to do with rolling shutter, frame rate and/or shutter speed - I am sure some experts here know already know all about the phenomena, where I did not.

Anyway, I still learn something every day...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Range1.jpg (164.6 KB, 43 views)

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2017, 08:11 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

This should probably be moved to the golf talk thread.

ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
.... I thought it might be interesting for other amateur videographers or applications.

But I Googled (what did we do before) and learned that unless the camera is truly slow-motion capable, there are some crazy distortions that occur - that bear no resemblance to reality. Has to do with rolling shutter, frame rate and/or shutter speed - I am sure some experts here know already know all about the phenomena, where I did not.

I would never look at a golf thread, since I don't play.
But I do photos and video for fun, and didn't really think about this distortion effect before, so thanks for posting as I'll have an idea if I notice it.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is often also noticed when taking photos/videos of propellers...
check out some of these images.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Newer iPhones will do 240fps at 720p.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:12 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I was going to post this on the Golf Talk thread, but I thought it might be interesting for other amateur videographers or applications.

I am relearning golf after a very long layoff, and I took my GoPro to the driving range yesterday. I set it on the fastest frame rate (60 fps), hoping I could slow it down on playback and examine my swing, and it was somewhat useful. I hadn't planned it beforehand but just for fun I started looking frame by frame, and I was ALARMED for a few minutes. At the start of the downswing the shaft is bending back some, makes sense. But just before the clubhead makes contact with the ball, the shaft appears to be significantly curved forward, that makes no sense. W T H ! It's even more exaggerated with my driver, but the graphite shafts are dark and much harder to see with the background, so I used pics with my 5-iron. For a minute I thought maybe I needed different club shafts (mine are stiff for players)!!! Sorry DW, I HAVE to buy new clubs. . AND BUY LESSONS
FIFY

100% x 10% > 10% x 100%
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I am no coach, but perhaps you need a bit more club head lag on that downswing before ball contact. Should get you a nice increase in distance as well.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:39 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
This should probably be moved to the golf talk thread.
I addressed your POV in my first sentence - it's not actually about golf, it's about a video/photography quirk. Just ignore the thread if it doesn't interest you...

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #9

[mod hat on]The thread is fine where it is, it's more about the video than golf, I think.[mod hat off]

As I understand it the effect comes from the object, in this case the shaft of the club, moving during the frame. Remember how in the old cartoons a "fast-moving-car" would be illustrated as leaning forward a bit, the faster the car went the more the wheels/tires leaned forward. This effect was also in old photographs of race cars.

It been a while since I read the article, but as I remember it the effect is the result of a focal plane shutter that has a slit in it, and as the shutter moved from left to right the tires were in a different position at the beginning of the frame when the slit was at the left. At the end of the frame the tires had moved forward, hence the "leaning forward" look. At least I think that was it. Here's a wiki article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal-plane_shutter