Join Early Retirement Today

Golf's prince of darkness?
Old 06-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As someone who plays golf from time to time and follows big events like the Masters every year, I found this article about Bubba Watson quite fascinating.

How Bubba Watson's temper, religion, and exquisite game made him the most divisive player in golf - SBNation.com

I never realized what a monumental a**hole this guy is.... well, at least according to the article. If you read all the way through, you're left with the impression that BW is basically an angry, selfish, sanctimonious jerk. Makes Tiger look like a saint by comparison.

Now I know that you can't believe everything the media says or writes about people, and who's to know if the author has some big ax to grind when it comes to Bubba Watson. But I have to say, the article did ring true for me. I certainly won't ever be hoping to see this horrible guy win another tournament.

Anyone care to differ or take issue with the article, etc.?
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2015, 01:24 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I recently saw the results of an anonymous poll of PGA touring pros. They were asked to complete a sentence something like, " You see _______ in a fight in the parking lot. You decide not to help." Bubba Watson was the number one response. Apparently, he is not well liked among his fellow pros.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #3

I love watching him play, because he is exciting. But many articles and stories over the years have talked about how many of the other players dislike him because of his attitude etc...These aren't new revelations.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:54 PM   #4

Saw him on Ferehty awhile back and he comes across pretty immature in my opinion. Yes he has game but anyone who speaks about themselves in the third person makes me question their intelligence as well.

I wonder if he is going to remove the "Stars and Bars" off his General Lee ?
Old 06-25-2015, 02:07 PM   #5

Have a friend who was on PGA Tour and now on Senior Tour. Says most guys absolutely loathe playing with the guy. An A-1 dickhead is how he describes him.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:12 PM   #6

Guess I'll have to take my Saint Bubba statue down from the mantle.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-25-2015, 02:24 PM   #7

Aside from being a jerk, he also comes across as very ignorant and disrespectful of other cultures. The SBNation article has this jaw-dropping quote from when he was interviewed in France while there for a tournament a few years ago.

Q. I heard you went to Paris yesterday?
Bubba Watson: Yeah, yesterday.
Q. Did you like—what did you see?
Bubba Watson: I don’t know the names of all the things, the big tower, Eiffel Tower, an arch, whatever that — I rode around in a circle. And then what’s that — it starts with an L, Louvre, something like that. One of those.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:42 PM   #8

I don't think Bubba is alone in being a jerk department. How about Patrick Reed? His past and recent behaviors have been questioned, and well documented. Sergio? Basketball players are even worse. Is there a limit to Kobe's ego? I think not. I think Bubba's behavior comes with its territory. When you are that good at something, it's easy to believe you are above others.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:02 PM   #9

We sometimes frequent his private club. (Estancia in Scottsdale) and know a number of members there. He is generally seen as a bit of a self centred jerk by people who actually know him. Too bad as he is quite the golfer.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I don't think Bubba is alone in being a jerk department. How about Patrick Reed? His past and recent behaviors have been questioned, and well documented. Sergio? Basketball players are even worse. Is there a limit to Kobe's ego? I think not. I think Bubba's behavior comes with its territory. When you are that good at something, it's easy to believe you are above others.
Oh, I couldn't agree more. There are numerous examples in sports, politics, music, movies, business... you name it. Clearly there are lots of awful people out there, but I guess it just bugs me that when these jerks are "celebrities", people still seem to root for them and love them and idolize them, seemingly without regard for how horrible they truly are on a personal level. I know that's not going to change, as stupefying as it is, but at least by sharing this article maybe I've opened a few eyes to how undeserving of praise and support this guy is.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:16 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Bubba Watson: I don’t know the names of all the things, the big tower, Eiffel Tower, an arch, whatever that — I rode around in a circle. And then what’s that — it starts with an L, Louvre, something like that. One of those.
I think that's hilarious
Old 06-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Oh, I couldn't agree more. There are numerous examples in sports, politics, music, movies, business... you name it. Clearly there are lots of awful people out there, but I guess it just bugs me that when these jerks are "celebrities", people still seem to root for them and love them and idolize them, seemingly without regard for how horrible they truly are on a personal level. I know that's not going to change, as stupefying as it is, but at least by sharing this article maybe I've opened a few eyes to how undeserving of praise and support this guy is.
It opened my eyes for sure. Until this article, I thought of him as just another top PGA Tour player, no more or no less. I will scratch him off of my list of PGA tour players to root for . But if he ever plays against Reed in a playoff, I am not sure who to root against.

The thing that most bothers me is that these guys have a lot of kids worshiping them as heroes & many emulate their behaviors.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:52 PM   #13

I guess I learned a big lesson when I followed Tiger a little too closely. Like any area, there are a few idiots out there. I think Bubba has some issues he tries to cope with.
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:52 PM   #14

By the way, great article, thanks for posting
Old 06-25-2015, 04:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
I guess I learned a big lesson when I followed Tiger a little too closely. Like any area, there are a few idiots out there. I think Bubba has some issues he tries to cope with.
I don't think he is trying per what the article suggests. It seems his way of trying is referring to Bible as if that explains his behavior. Hiding behind the bible is what the article is saying.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:39 PM   #16

The guy may be a complete ass but he can play golf. He shot 62 today at Hartford including this shot on 18!

Bubba Watson?s incredible finish on No. 18 at Travelers
Old 06-25-2015, 04:43 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like him.
He plays left-handed.
He almost hit my wife with a shot at the SHO one year and apologized.
He hits a pink driver.
He's kinda long.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:13 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

He is obviously really good at what he does and the article is a little mean-spirited and gossipy to me in that none of his unlikeable attributes affect anyone (and his caddy is still his caddy so his being upset with him couldn't have bothered him that much).
Old 06-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
The guy may be a complete ass but he can play golf. He shot 62 today at Hartford including this shot on 18!

Bubba Watson?s incredible finish on No. 18 at Travelers
That's awesome! I like to follow him.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I don't think he is trying per what the article suggests. It seems his way of trying is referring to Bible as if that explains his behavior. Hiding behind the bible is what the article is saying.
He reminds me of a former boss, a bit narcissistic, too. But low and behold, he sent me this nice Christmas Card. He was super nice sometimes, but nearly schizophrenic. A scary sight really.