Join Early Retirement Today

Gone fishing
Old 06-26-2009, 07:31 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Gone fishing

Seeking basic tips on bass fishing. Got a 4 day getaway over the July 4 weekend to what is supposed to be a great bass lake near here (Lake Rousseau). I would like to do some bass fishing there but have no gear, no knowledge, and little experience (I've fished lakes in Wisconsin rather randomly over the years, waiting for that perfect muskie, but that's another story).

So what basic gear should I take? Any specific bait suggestions? Easy bass recipes (see, I'm assuming I'll land one already)? Should I just capitulate and get a guide?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2009, 08:14 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Get a guide...

I'm no bass fisherman, but around these parts, a Texas rig is popular for bass. Basically, it's an artificial nightcrawler with the hook buried in the work, to prevent snagging. Different colors and sparkles are available, but the locals probably know the particulars, therefore the suggestion to get a guide. He/she will know where and what they're biting...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Call a bait shop on Lake Rousseau and ask them what kind of baits are working. Are you planning on buying tackle or renting it? I have been bass fishing for 30+ years so if I knew a little more I could probably help.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:38 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Get a guide...

I'm no bass fisherman, but around these parts, a Texas rig is popular for bass. Basically, it's an artificial nightcrawler with the hook buried in the work, to prevent snagging. Different colors and sparkles are available, but the locals probably know the particulars, therefore the suggestion to get a guide. He/she will know where and what they're biting...
Good idea, a guide is paid to find fish. If he/she can't do that on a regular basis, word gets out and they have no business.......

For a once in a lifetime trip, a guide is probably a good idea.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I agree with HFWR.

Since the water will be warm, bass tends to run deeper. The bait he mentioned skims and skirts along the bottom. However, I have caught some nice bass close to the shore around tree stumps with Rapala floating lures.

I've never been fancy with cooking bass. Just filleted them, coated with a cornmeal and Cajun mixture and pan fried in oil.

One more thing....a four/six pound test line is excellent for bass.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:42 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Rich, the miracle of the Internet helps again:

Lake Rousseau Information Guide - Florida Lakes

Looks like the guide thinks a shallow running Rapala would work well.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

It's too late here in Texas, but early in the season, when the bass are spawning, dropping a lure on or near the nest will pi$$ off Mama Bass, and "lure" her into swallowing the bait.

But, as Gallagher says, "how'd you like to be making love, and have someone dangle a pizza over the bed?"

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Yet another thing to add... I clip the barb off the hook so that the fish's mouth won't get torn up. This is especially important if the fish is too small and you have to return it to the water.

When you fish with the plastic worm on the bottom, slowly reel, stop from time to time and give it a little jerk...slowly reel...repeat. With a floating lure, let it float a few seconds, twitch the rod slightly, reel slowly...repeat.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
It's too late here in Texas, but early in the season, when the bass are spawning, dropping a lure on or near the nest will pi$$ off Mama Bass, and "lure" her into swallowing the bait.
I have caught more nice bass on Rapala crankbaits than spinner baits, plastic worms, and real nighcrawlers combined. Bass LOVE to chase erratic MOVING lures....... When I fish them in rocky area, I remove the front treble hooks so the bait and bounce over the rocks and not get hung up.......

Old 06-26-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Yet another thing to add... I clip the barb off the hook so that the fish's mouth won't get torn up. This is especially important if the fish is too small and you have to return it to the water.

When you fish with the plastic worm on the bottom, slowly reel, stop from time to time and give it a little jerk...slowly reel...repeat. With a floating lure, let it float a few seconds, twitch the rod slightly, reel slowly...repeat.
Also, with the plastic worm, you want to lift the rod tip slightly and let the worm settle back to the bottom. It's a killer technique.......

Old 06-26-2009, 09:02 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Also, with the plastic worm, you want to lift the rod tip slightly and let the worm settle back to the bottom. It's a killer technique.......
Boy, have I got a fishing story for you. But, that can wait 'til another day.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:11 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I'm taking notes as fast as I can.

Makes sense to at least buy a rod before I leave. What would be a decent versatile setup, moderate price range til I find my comfort zone?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:18 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Cane pole and a worm. That's all you need.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:22 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

It's been so long since I've bought fishing equipment, I don't know how much things cost now.

The most important thing is the quality of the reel. It seems to me, I have paid double to triple the amount of my reel compared to my rod.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:26 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Cane pole and a worm. That's all you need.

That was fishing to me from toddler-hood to midteens. I think it is the best too. A lot of the way people fish today is just an extension of work, except that it is cash flow negative. Only thing better than a cane pole is a trot-line or jugs.

Ha
Old 06-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I'm taking notes as fast as I can.

Makes sense to at least buy a rod before I leave. What would be a decent versatile setup, moderate price range til I find my comfort zone?
Is there a Cabelas or Gander Mountain or Bass Pro Shops near you? The lighter the tackle, the more fish you will catch. However, if you are going to do a lot of crankbaiting, you'll want a medium light or medium action rod. I would not buy anything less than 6 feet long unless you're trying to catch muskie or large northern.

I agree on the reel. Shimano is a large manufacturer and they make good stuff. Mitchell has been around forever. The folks at Cabelas and Gander Mountain are usually fishermen themselves and can help. You can always PM me if you want to discuss more indepth.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:00 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
That was fishing to me from toddler-hood to midteens. I think it is the best too. A lot of the way people fish today is just an extension of work, except that it is cash flow negative. Only thing better than a cane pole is a trot-line or jugs.

Ha
When I lived on the Mississippi River, we used to take 9 foot cane poles and large shiners, and fish for walleyes on the wing dams at night. Caught plenty of 8-10 pound walleyes on that........

For a young kid, a small cane pole and a worm means loads of fun.......

Old 06-26-2009, 10:01 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
A lot of the way people fish today is just an extension of work, except that it is cash flow negative.
Ha
Two of my fishing rods are over 20 years old. Quality lasts a long time, they are both St. Croix rods, and I paid over $100 for each back then.......

Old 06-26-2009, 10:24 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
When I lived on the Mississippi River, we used to take 9 foot cane poles and large shiners, and fish for walleyes on the wing dams at night. Caught plenty of 8-10 pound walleyes on that........

For a young kid, a small cane pole and a worm means loads of fun.......
Can't you see Rich headed to the lake with a cane pole pulled right out of his new RV?
Old 06-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Live bait. Set the hook firmly but don't tear his head off. Go with a guide so that you know where to cast. But most of all, have a great time!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote