Good bye for now

Dash man

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm shutting down electronics for a while and I'm not sure if I'll be back. On the investing side there's a little too much group think for my taste. But I wish you all the best in your future. I think mine may be headed in a different direction.

Dash man, I hope you have happy trails. I will miss your posts.

Ha

8 "nas" 3 "heys" so long

hopefully you can get some quality golfing in

Hope things go well for you.

I'm curious, if you care to answer - which topics do find to be 'group think'? I'm guessing different people would think different things, depending on their POV. And OTOH, I think many people here would say getting consensus on anything is like herding cats. Can it be both?

-ERD50

I will miss your posts also. Good luck with your neurologist appointment and I hope it turns out to be something easy to fix. Keep in touch.

Hope things go well for you.

I'm curious, if you care to answer - which topics do find to be 'group think'?

-ERD50

LBYM?

Using Vanguard?

Being Debt Free?

"There's no right answer"?

Most everyone here is in consensus about those.

LBYM?

Using Vanguard?

Being Debt Free?

LBYM, sure.

Vanguard - no, some people really don't like them, feel their service is inadequate. Many prefer a place with B&M. No consensus there (this isn't Bogleheads! ;) )

Debt Free? Surely you joke! Many of us are fine with debt in retirement, some would rather face Room 101!

"There's no right answer"? - Seems a few think they have the single right answer on all sorts of topics.

-ERD50

I'm curious, if you care to answer - which topics do find to be 'group think'?

The term group think is probably overused. A group of people can all think one thing without it being "group think". If the individual members of the group have all examined the problem/situation and independently determined a similar course of action is best for them, that doesn't equate to "group think".

I wish Dash Man farewell, but I don't see "group think" on this forum really at all. I see a diverse set of investment philosophies mixed amongst a large "bogleheadish" group including real estate investors, landlords, active investors, individual stock investors, commodities, options traders...

I think LBYM is probably the one thing everyone here agrees on, and frankly I don't see how you retire ev...er...early without it. That's not group think.

Anyway, /threadjack.

I think ERD50 is closer to the truth about this site.

Whatever the specific reason(s), I can understand wanting to take a break from e-r.org. I think it can be good for the "soul".

LBYM?

Using Vanguard?

Being Debt Free?

I would say that if you do not pray at the altar of St. Bogle the Indexer, you tend to sing small here.

I would say that if you do not pray at the altar of St. Bogle the Indexer, you tend to sing small here.

That is true. And who knows what the silent majority think?

Dash Man, I wish you well. We'll leave the light on for you.

I am not a big mutual fund fan myself nor a particular Jack Bogle fan. I see him as kind of a salesman / cult figure. I do like to hear about what people who don't invest in mutual fund invest in, but I think sometimes that gets discouraged here.

See you Dashman. I've enjoyed your posts.

People come and go from this site. I appreciate Dash Man saying goodbye, but he did sound slightly bitter regarding the purported consensus philosophy of this board. Admittedly, there is a certain amount of consensus, but there are many paths to reach FIRE. It would appear that Dash Man has chosen the road less traveled, and perhaps that will make all the difference.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Yeah, anti-market timing, pro-indexing, and pro-DIY are all pretty solid themes here. But as nash031 said:

The term group think is probably overused. A group of people can all think one thing without it being "group think". If the individual members of the group have all examined the problem/situation and independently determined a similar course of action is best for them, that doesn't equate to "group think". ...

But there is certainly room for debate among all these topics, and it does happen from time to time. While I'm a fan of indexing, there's something to be said about being able to control capital gains with a group of individual stocks, etc.

-ERD50

"there's no right answer"? - seems a few think they have the single right answer on all sorts of topics.

Someone is WRONG.JPG

And who knows what the silent majority think?

They are indeed legion; there are over 20,000 members who have fewer than 10 posts. And even among more frequent posters, I'm sure there are many who do things differently but see no need to post and argue about their approach.

Those who posted fewer than 10 times may have also checked it out and decided the site wasn't for them. I don't know if members are marked as "stale" (not literally)

EDR50.... over 14k posts... quite a lot. --- not that this is good or bad...

the was a program for doing IRC chat called mirc as I recall. The guy who wrote something in some part of the help or author's comment that said something like " every now and then turn off the computer, go outside into the big blue room and interact with real people". I may have the wording a screwed up as the last time I used this program was maybe 20 years ago or more.

Dash man may just need a break.

There are many things that are consistently pushed around here... run firecalc, determine your budget, lots of ER push (much of this makes sense to me based on the purpose of the forum).

I know many people who will likely not retire as long as they are in a controlling position in a company. Many people here are living off rentals that they are running... is this retired? So... some different thought.

I would just assume Dash man needs some time to find out what he needs now.

ERD50... I just grabbed your nic because of the large number of posts... and for no other reason, so please to not take it personal-- not meant that way.

I think that might be Dash man's point. One interesting thing I noticed is the difference between the ideas here and the top ten assets owned by millionaire next door types in the late Thomas Stanley's blog.

From the blog:
The rank and the percentage of the aggregate wealth held in the top ten asset categories are as follows: 1. investment real estate (17.7); 2. closely held stocks (14.5); 3. publicly traded stock (12.6); 4. retirement assets (11.4); 5. personal residence (9.2); 6. insurance (7.2); 7. cash assets (6.9); 8. limited partnerships (4.1); 9. tax-exempt bonds (3.9), and 10. farms (3.1).

I don't get your point about these items being different from what is discussed here. With the exception of farms, all are frequent forum topics.

I think that might be Dash man's point. One interesting thing I noticed is the difference between the ideas here and the top ten assets owned by millionaire next door types in the late Thomas Stanley's blog.

From that blog:

Just what assets do millionaires own? Let's look at the data from the IRS' estate returns computed during 2007-2009 for those decedants who were under 70, married at the time of their deaths and had a gross estate of $2M or more.
These are not necessarily millionaire next door types--who knows how much they earned, and what they did for a living.

Back
Top Bottom