Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-11-2018, 09:44 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Just as a brag follow up - I sold it on Craigslist for $55 today, so $40 beer money for my scrounging efforts.
Bravo!
Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2018, 07:39 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Was at Habitat ReStore today and scored a new-in-box GFCI breaker for two bucks that sells for $50. As it happens, I just replaced my breaker box and I can use it for my garage circuit instead of separate GFCI outlets.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:23 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting. I found the ReStore full of broken and incomplete junk, priced close to what I would pay in Home Depot for brand-new stuff. I never went back. Maybe I should.

There's a small chain of thrift shops near us called "Leeward Landing." I went in once, and it looked about like all the other thrift shops run by various charities in the area. But for some reason, their parking lot is always full of new, shiny, top-end vehicles, many from out of state. About 50% of the time when I pass by, I have to wait behind a car turning left into their lot, or one coming out. None of the other thrift shops in the area are busy like this. And the vehicles in the lot are usually a bit rustier. I don't get it.

Anyway, I'm at a point in my life where I'm trying to get rid of "stuff," not acquire more.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:16 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Interesting. I found the ReStore full of broken and incomplete junk, priced close to what I would pay in Home Depot for brand-new stuff. I never went back. Maybe I should.
It all depends. Some Restores are more reasonably priced than others. Staff changes and the prices seem to be whimsical depending on who is doing the pricing that day. Some items are overpriced and as in the case in my post above, ridiculously under priced. For me, it is a once a week outing to check out what is new and scout for bargains. Given that we moved cross country and bought a new house on acreage, there are lots of small items we need and I've saved a lot by picking up bargains as I find them. I wouldn't recommend shopping there just to stuff your attic.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:40 PM   #65

I had to buy some clothing for my mother as she had moved into an assisted group home for her last days in hospice. I went to a local clothing reseller here as her tastes in clothing were a bit more outdated. I was able to find some shirts and nice hoodie tops in exactly the right styles, colors and sizes for her and walked out only $23 lighter. I then found some capri pants at Walmart for $3 each (bought myself 2 pair along with 2 pair for her). Goodwill ended up being the most expensive - I bought some socks there for her.

I was pleasantly surprised at the great quality and when I was buying the clothes saw that they did a good job of culling out the crap from the donations they received. I have bought a few things in stores like that, but will definitely be going back as I wear out what I have.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:01 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
... I then found some capri pants at Walmart for $3 each (bought myself 2 pair along with 2 pair for her)...
Reminds me that in our recent trip to Costco, my wife got some capri pants for $4. She has been losing even more weight, and needs new ones.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:40 AM   #67

With $19min/free shipping + free returns, Radioshack.com clearance bin.
Use radio15 coupon code for additional 15% off. I topped off my parts inventory with a nice collection of switches and other small parts. More convenient than piecing out through ebay.
Note - parts clearance is separate from general clearance.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:01 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Bought an additional 2kW worth of solar panels, even though I have not yet installed the 2.5kW of panels I bought a few months ago.

Such good deal, I could not resist. Less than $0.45/W, and these are nice 20% efficiency panels too. And I just picked them up at a local warehouse, so there's no shipping charge.

Wish I have a 1-acre lot in town so I can cover it with these cheap panels. Solar power galore. Still looking for good deals on lithium batteries, but have not seen anything remotely resembling $100/kWh that the industry has promised for a while now.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-25-2018, 04:21 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

We bought a new Silverado 4x4 pick up truck in June, nice!y equipped but did not have optional running boards. Dealer wanted $750 installed but turned it down. Within a week of purchasing the truck there was a Craigslist ad for a guy who buys new take off wheels, tires,running boards etc. from New car dealers. I bought a brand new set of OEM running boards for $229 and installed them myself.

One the same vehicle the free 3 month siriusXM subscription ran out a couple of weeks ago. We have received several mailings offering deals to re-subscribe but the deals are not that great. I got a phone solicitation today from SiriusXM and told them their offers were not good enough. After some discussion they finally agreed to $4.99 per month for 12 months for the same service provided in the original 3 month free subscription. With taxes and fees it is just under $6.00/month.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:29 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

The suitcase my mother gave my wife about 10 years ago is a good brand and a good size but worn out. We travel a lot so took the suitcase to 3 stores including an outlet store finding the best price at $557.00. On the third time of looking at a local thrift store I found the same one for $12 minus 30% off for senior. On the way to the register I found a dollar bill on the floor.
Arizona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:01 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Most of my bargains these days involve consumables or experiences. I went to an outlet store yesterday for groceries on senior morning and stocked up on the best bargains for an extra 10% discount, which came to $70 in total savings off supermarket prices. We saw a play at night with free library passes otherwise it would have cost $106 for the tickets. On the weekend I had seat filler type tickets for a wine tasting and foodie event in Napa that would have cost $90 but I paid $12. I bought two 12 month winery passports with some deal stacking for around $40, regularly $120. The passports should pay for themselves after just one or two visits.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:09 AM   #72

Bought 3 pairs (6 total) of vintage olympic weight plates for $125...flipped them for $1500. Sadly I sold them for less than I should have...but I cant complain. I purchased around $500 worth of weight equipment that day. I kept the rest and still made a nice profit.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:20 AM   #73

A few years ago a container ship off Florida coast had a few containers open and go overboard on bad weather. I ended up with about 100 12 oz packages of coffee, picked up on our beach. Several people I saw had partial pallets of the stuff on wheel barrows. I drank free coffee for over a year and gave a bunch away. Hard to say what best yard sale but here are a few that come to mind 1) complete Syracuse Apple blossom pattern China serving for 12. - $100 - sold 3 pieces on eBay and recouped our cost 2) mink shrug - $50 apprised $500 3) born leather men's sandal like new $1. We furnished three homes with yard sale finds so the list of great deals is pretty long. As I type this I'm sitting in a leather sectional sofa with 2 electric recliners purchased earlier this year for $600, while wearing a sea turtle t-shirt and white shorts purchased at yard sales for 4 bucks total with tags still on.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:48 AM   #74
gone traveling

This guy needed $2000 for his bike, "this weekend only"....a long story. I trailered it home from DC area to Fla. The bike had 1900 miles . I rode it for 3 years and sold it for $4700, with 35k miles on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33 (3).jpg (27.4 KB, 183 views)
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:25 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Some people find unbelievable deals, like my brother-in-law and his wife who like to go to garage sales. They once found real gold jewelry sold for the price of costume jewelry.

We do not actively look, so only scored minor bargains. Like a week ago, at a discount grocery store we saw them liquidating 40-lb boxes of onions for $4. That's $0.10/lb. Here, the usual sale price is $1 for 3 lbs.

I told my wife we had to pass it up, as we would not know what to do with 40 lbs of onion. My frugal wife said that we could get it and give some away to our children or my sisters-in-law who all live nearby.

Myself, I am going to make onion soup to eat daily for lunch for some time to come. It's OK as I like onion soup anyway.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:12 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

I cruise the Habitat ReStore weekly and today scored a Weller soldering pencil for $3 in like new condition. I've been wanting one, but just couldn't justify the $40 price tag. Simple pleasures.

I've noticed that they have a lot more lawn and garden stuff than in prime season, so I guess the lesson is to buy one season ahead.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Weller-5...C100/100130478
Old 11-16-2018, 07:27 AM   #77

Pork roast, bone in only 99 cents a pound. Bought 2. Eating pork for weeks. That;s OK, though. Potatoes for 30 cents a pound. Usually 40 to 60 cents a pound. Making lots of french fries.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:31 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona1 View Post
The suitcase my mother gave my wife about 10 years ago is a good brand and a good size but worn out. We travel a lot so took the suitcase to 3 stores including an outlet store finding the best price at $557.00. On the third time of looking at a local thrift store I found the same one for $12 minus 30% off for senior. On the way to the register I found a dollar bill on the floor.
Wow. Who knew a suitcase could be so expensive?
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:45 AM   #79

I stumbled on this yesterday. I hope the link conveys and this type of posting is allowed. I follow a deals shopping website and they created a google doc that shows the Black Friday deals on items by category i.e. luggage, televisions, toys, etc. It gives item name, vendor, price and helpful info. Im certain its not all inclusive and I think it excludes amazon but its a great reference and place to look for gift ideas.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...sle=true#gid=0
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:58 AM   #80

I still can't resist the $0.39/lb turkey deals this time of year. Last year I was cooking, and ended up with three turkeys. This year we're visiting, so I've forced myself to a limit of one.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, freebie, good deal