Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

good desktop computer
Old 09-17-2012, 05:10 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

good desktop computer

I have an hp a6000n desktop computer and evidently the bios went out on the motherboard and I don't know where to find the proper flash for it, I am looking for a reasonably priced, trouble free(as possible) desktop to replace it. does anyone have any recommendations? I probably need 8gb ram and 500gb hardrive. thanks
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If the system is more than a few years old, it may simply need a motherboard battery.

Desktop systems are incredibly cheap now. If you don't expect to travel with it, look at desktop systems. I go with hp or Dell.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:29 AM   #3

I replaced the motherboard battery and tried to find a good file to flash to the bios, but came up empty. what happened was I was going to set the files to default in bios and got the latest from hp and when I ran it, it came back with a checksum error. it was all gone after that. have been looking at some hp, will start checking out some dell. I like a desktop for just having around. I also have a laptop, which works alright but the desktop is my favorite for all around use.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:30 AM   #4

sorry if I seem to be rambling on.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:05 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Frank,

Your HP may not be totally dead yet. Please check the instructions given in message #10 of 14 at this link: HP Model #A6000n Bios Checksum Error after Bios Update!! - HP Support Forum. You might have to find another computer with a floppy drive to create a self bootable disk at first.

IMO, any computer not running MS OS is a decent computer.
ratto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #6

Could you provide some more details as to the problem ? I've never seen a BIOS "go out". If you tried to flash it and failed then the BIOS is corrupt. Usually there are some diagnostic lights on the rear or maybe on the motherboard itself. Never replaced a battery on the MB, they seem to last forever

Does the computer boot at all. Get any POST codes ( the series of beeps when the PC boots )

If you just need a decent desktop, I buy a lot off ebay for people. Usually off lease business desktop. You can fill out the memory/HD to what you need. something like this...

HP Compaq dc5800 SFF Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 4GB RAM 80GB HDD DVD-RW XP-Pro | eBay
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I'd buy another Dell since I've had nothing but for about 20 years, at work and at home, with near perfect results. The few times we've had any issues, Dell has corrected them very quickly. It is nice that PC's are so (relatively) inexpensive these days. Frankly, I'm tempted by iMacs, but I probably couldn't bring myself to pay their premium prices. Best of luck...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I got a used HP as one of my desktops and can't even access the bios. The documentation says to use the PF10 key but there's not even a beep during a post or splash screen. I'm using the PC right now and it does boot into Windows okay.

I'm one of the folks who if not building my own, then actually like emachines.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'd buy another Dell since I've had nothing but for about 20 years, at work and at home, with near perfect results. The few times we've had any issues, Dell has corrected them very quickly. It is nice that PC's are so (relatively) inexpensive these days. Frankly, I'm tempted by iMacs, but I probably couldn't bring myself to pay their premium prices. Best of luck...
+1

I love my Dell desktop. It is 7 years old by now, and has never given me the slightest bit of trouble. It was one of the preconfigured models carried by Best Buy, and IIRC cost around $400-$450 on sale in 2005. But now, prices are quite a bit lower.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #10

ratto you are right. I got the fix from major geeks, but it is basically what it said on the hp site except you load it all to a cd and it self loads as as iso file. so its fixed thanks everybody.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Glad that worked for you. Keep that cd handy, and labeled.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #12

Yes, good thing you found that CD, looks like HP doesn't have any of BIOS files or drivers on their site anymore for that model.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote