Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Good digital camera?
Old 07-01-2004, 04:42 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I have no idea what would happen with the C84 if you only used color every few months. I guess it has separate ink cartriges and only four which could be an advantage. Could be just my luck, but I've had two HP B+W laser printers go belly up a few months after the warrenty expired. So I'm pretty much into cheaper printers these days. I gotta think the manufactures are ripping us pretty good on those little ink cartridges though.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2004, 09:24 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've had good luck with lasers. In fact, I had a laserjet IIIP that ran a good 8 or 9 years, and I have a pair of minoltas now that I bought for $60 each.

What I've found with the inkjets is when the inks dry out, its almost as cheap to buy a new printer than to replace the old ink cartridges. Sort of getting the handle for free and buying the razor blades, but I hardly ever buy the blades!

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Topic veering:  inkjet cartridges
Old 07-01-2004, 02:54 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Topic veering:  inkjet cartridges

Does anyone buy bargain ink cartridges? I've seen ads for them and, when I next run low, sorta have plans to scan eBay for the cartridges required by my newest printer, an HP all-in-one.

I refilled cartridges for my old Canon inkjet, but the process was onerous: potentially messy (lay down newspaper to cover dining room table), look up instructions (couldn't remember from one time to the next), figure out where the little holes were, try not to squirt ink on my fingers, etc. I did this for a while, but forgot about it when I got a new printer.

Somebody on another discussion board who WORKED for HP insisted that nobody should refill an HP cartridge: they are pressurized for peak performance yadda yadda yadda. I never had a problem with my output with my refilled Canon cartridges.

Bargain hunters, come out of the woods! Are the cheap cartridges I've seen advertised online Worth It?

Anne
Old 07-01-2004, 03:29 PM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

Anne:

You asked:

Are the cheap cartridges I've seen advertised online Worth It?

My experience, NO.

I ordered 2 dozen for an HP printer from a discount company, all were bad, sent back and they would not replace or give me a credit. Lost $300.

Allan

Old 07-01-2004, 04:23 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I havent had good experience with el cheapo ink cartridges either. I saw some web site or magazine a year or two ago did a test and said they didnt do as good a job, last as long, and the ink wasnt applied as well.

I've done fine with the office supply store brands (staples, office depot) ink and toner though.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:39 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've only had bad experiences with aftermarket ink and tonder cartidges and refill kits, but some people swear by them. It appears to be a 50-50 thing, and I don't know if the difference is luck or perception, but with my experience I wouldn't recommend them to anyone even though the real thing is horribly overpriced.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:20 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

I tried to refill my ink cartridges...once. Got more ink on myself than in the cartridge. I've accepted that ink jet carts are just one of those thinks you are going to get screwed on.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:12 PM   #28

I agree about refillable ink cartridges. I tried it. A real mess. My wife seems to have good luck with them but
I would rather spend the money and buy a new one.
I know I am getting screwed but accept it to avoid the
hassle.

John Galt
Old 07-03-2004, 04:26 PM   #29

Just say no to printing!
Old 07-03-2004, 06:10 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Funny but I actually DONT print a lot. Its the wife thats into it.

I put a second copy of my photos and movies onto my laptop, and when I want to show them to someone, I pull that out instead of a photo album.

One thing I would love to do some day, when I can find some free time (damn, I may have to quit this ER lifestyle to get some free time!)...I have a couple of the old "3com/ergo audrey" touchscreen appliances and a Compaq MSN companion. I've done a little hacking with both. The audreys have a sylus touchscreen, no internal storage except for a small compact flash, but they're networkable and run QNX. The MSN companion can be fitted with a hard drive, and can run windows or linux. Some folks have set them up as "digital photo frames".

Commercial digital photo frames are kinda expensive, but I picked these things up for about fifty bucks a pop a few years ago.

At a minimum I'm gonna get one of the audreys set up in the kitchen so I can keep a grocery list and pull recipes up on it.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:33 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

This is VERY HELPFUL about the ink cartridges. Allan, sorry you lost so much. I hate the price of these things, and my "printer" is also my fax and copier, so I am going to spend plenty on cartridges. I'll have to check on the store brand at Staples/Office Max. (Can anyone tell those two stores apart? They're across the street from each other where I shop.)

TH, at our house we have two digital cameras: an ancient Sony Mavica that doesn't have a flash, and a Canon A40 Powershot that has a flash but can't take much of a closeup. For eBay both cameras sometimes need to be employed. So no helpful advice from me!

Anne
Old 07-04-2004, 02:03 PM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

It's the kids that do all the printing here. The digital photo frame set up sounds cool TH. Every year at Xmas I make a retrospective of the year from the digital photo archive, set to music, that I burn to CD as a VCD file that will play in a DVD player. A copy goes in my wife's stocking, as well as in the mail to the grandparents and other relatives.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:35 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

You can take your empty printer and toner cartridges to Office Depot and they will give you a free ream of paper for each one you turn in. You don't even have to buy anything!!