Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Good fences make for good neighbors...
Old 07-14-2018, 06:09 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good fences make for good neighbors...

We’ve been next door neighbors for nearly 13 years. The husband and I are cordial, the wife a bit more friendly ..we occasionally have a brief chat. Im a bit of a lawn nut I edge and mow and keep the acre very tidy. They mow or have it mowed and have a lawn full of crab grass.. if they edge it doesn’t show- its obvious he doesn’t enjoy lawn work. Call me crazy i do. Mind you their place doesn’t look bad it just isn’t IMHO as well groomed. It generally isn’t something I pay attention too they are quiet and good neighbors.

In April the Mrs noticed a huge Ash tree in our woods was diseased and needed to come down. This monster was way beyond my ability to handle so i called a tree guy that I’d used in the past. $1900 for the monster and the first of a line of big pine trees separating our back yards. This particular first in a row pine was encroaching on the driveway, shedding on the Mrs highlander And shading my 8 by 12 greenhouse. The big day came and went and the trees were gone. Unfortunately the second pine tree had been shaded by the first and had some naked branches and is a bit unsightly.

A few weeks later I noticed the neighbors planting some new trees to shield their view of the green house and unbalanced tree. It will be years before those small trees accomplish their mission. A comment was made about “hiding that mess.” The wife texted me her tree guy that she thought was more reasonable. I imagine taking down the remaining pine trees will be a couple grand.

The thing is i kinda like the privacy afforded by the pines and am not inclined to remove them. The view from my side isn’t bad.

Care to share your thoughts...
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2018, 07:01 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If the trees are on your property then do what you want. I wouldn't consider what they want in any way. I'm not the type that would care about non-perfect lawns or trees.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:24 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Ray, we all do have different views.
After 25 years in the same location (lots of trees, etc.), I know that it only takes a few minutes to let a neighbor know what you're thinking of doing. They may have a reasonable concern that can be worked out. But if you don't discuss ahead of time, you get what you get.

Not that I'm saying you need to please everyone 100%. Just take a little time to talk things over. And that is something rarely done around these parts.

Take care.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:52 AM   #4

Don't remove them, if you don't want to. Your trees, your property.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:01 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
This thread should be called getting along (or not) with the neighbors. I don't see a fence anywhere
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:35 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
This thread should be called getting along (or not) with the neighbors. I don't see a fence anywhere
If the thread was called that I would have a comment as well! LOL

My opinion on this topic is what >> gwraigty said >> do what you want and if you try to please everyone you fail.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:37 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
I believe ray is referring to the proverbial fence. In this case, the new border trees in the neighbor’s plot.

OP, looks like the dying ash indirectly inspired your neighbors to plant some trees. Even though it’ll be years until they screen your yard, they’ll still draw the eye and make the shaded-out pines less obtrusive. I really don’t see any downside.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:16 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Ray, I wouldn't feel obligated to cut it down. If it was a tree leaning in their direction that could cause damage I probably would then. You mow, trim and keep your yard well maintained so that should make most neighbors happy. I wish my neighbor would mow his grass more often than once every 4-6 weeks. These are small patio lots too. Takes 20 minutes to mow.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:20 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

These things happened. For many years a big hedge row of bushes - all on my neighbor's property - blocked my view of the neighbor's not so pretty back of the house. Some fungus hit the bushes and they all died. A year later he replanted them with an assortment of other bushes and small trees. It's been several years and they are growing in nicely. In a few more years I will have my privacy back.

It's just a fact of life in the big suburbs. If I had wanted real privacy I would build my own wall and plant my own bushes. But I don't have wild hot-tub parties or host shady characters on my patio, so I'll let the new plants grow over time.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:30 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Are you still planning to move to Florida or other warmer parts?

The neighbors can plant whatever they wish, you can keep or take down whatever you wish. Nothing personal.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Are you still planning to move to Florida or other warmer parts?

We are but I still have one foot in the “work door” working 4 days a week. I am working on my homes exterior cleaning up adding new beds, Hostas galore - we have loads of shade in the backyard and really getting it super “ship shape”.

DS (Cool Hand Luke) will be a sophomore. In the mean time we are quietly looking, purging and getting ready ...
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:45 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

My neighbor complained about my adjoining lot where boat trailers are stored and we have a 10x20 storage unit. I promised her the lot was going to be cleaned up soon.

But I didn't tell her I was going to build a garage large enough for my 24 foot boat and two cars. And it is going to be right at the end of her driveway. My ex-aunt should be a little nicer to us.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:40 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Yeah... good luck with that.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:58 AM   #14

We have a recent hullaballoo in the hood. On cul de sac on lake, with a defined buffer with strict no cut rules. Neighbors CONSTANTLY push the envelope on this and then got nailed for it. Big time. $50,000 of remediation. They're just whining about it all was a misunderstanding. Getting no sympathy from anyone.

Meanwhile I got a pic of a beaver girdling two trees on the buffer behind out house!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote