Good magazines/periodicals

samclem

Moderator Emeritus
Any favorite magazines that you look forward to finding in the mailbox?

Mine:
1) American Heritage of Invention and Technology: Quarterly. Well written, non-technical, covers the human stories behind the gizmos. This quarter: everything from the history of cat litter, the concrete "Jersey Barrier" (surprise--originaly developed in Calif), blimps at war, implantable screens to prevent pulmonary embolisms, lots more.
2) Popular Science: Okay, not very deep, but fun reading. Their "HOW 2.0" regular feature has interesting ways to hack common electroncs to do new things. (This month--build your own high-def projector)
3) Pop Mechancs: Also fun. Not as cool as they were 40 yeas ago ("Build this 2 person ski boat with two sheets sof plywood and a lawnmower engine in one weekend") but still fun.

samclem said:
2) Popular Science: Okay, not very deep, but fun reading. Their "HOW 2.0" regular feature has interesting ways to hack common electroncs to do new things. (This month--build your own high-def projector)
3) Pop Mechancs: Also fun. Not as cool as they were 40 yeas ago ("Build this 2 person ski boat with two sheets sof plywood and a lawnmower engine in one weekend") but still fun.

At a garage sale a couple of years ago I bought some copies of these two magazines dating back to the 1950's. Reading those has been a real treat...especially the review of the hot new 1955 Chevy!

Hemming's Muscle Machines

The best read for any car guys of the muscle car era.

biggins! remember al bundy

Fine Woodworking is a fave. Its pricey so when they ask, "What can I get you for ******'s Day?". The answer is renew that subscription.

Ezines I enjoy are Woodworker's Journal (free plans :eek:) and Morningstar's Premium membership.

Cooks Illustrated, although I don't really have enough time to read or use it at the moment. Very carefully done, with nice illustrations and obviously a LOT of test kitchen work done for each article to make sure they aren't giving you bad advice.

The Economist when I subscribe. No time to read hardly any of it though.. :(

Attachments

• nordhavn 46.jpg
    nordhavn 46.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 98
  • nordhavn 46.jpg_thumb
    34.3 KB · Views: 0
Northern Gardener
Economist
Business Week
Family Handiman
Old House Journal
MotorHome
CampingLife
Journal of Law and Politics

Economist is expensive so we dropped it. We get it at work so when everyone here is done, I bring it home for Greg to read.

This seems like an appropriate forum for this question:

Does anyone read travel magazines that are targeted towards the budget traveler? I'm thinking off the beaten path places, backpacker, hostel, SE Asia, central america, cheap hotels/food/transportation. "I traveled around the world for under $5000" type of articles, etc. What magazines are out there? Are they any good? Are they better than the free online resources (lonely planet thorn tree, travel blogs, etc)?

I've subscribed to travel+leisure and similar magazines in the past, but they seem to be targeting the luxury traveler. I'm looking for something a few notches down without all ads for Cartier, Rolex, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, etc.

Forget t+l, way out of the league of avg traveler, and not much in the way of good info, to me.  I love Frommer's Budget Travel and subscribe to their email list, which is where I found pretty cheap tix to take my mom to Italy for her 65th b-day.  Great publication and one of two I am willing to pay for--the other is Smithsonian. 
Sarah

http://www.budgettravelonline.com

justin said:

Does anyone read travel magazines that are targeted towards the budget traveler?  I'm thinking off the beaten path places, backpacker, hostel, SE Asia, central america, cheap hotels/food/transportation.  "I traveled around the world for under $5000" type of articles, etc.  What magazines are out there?  Are they any good?  Are they better than the free online resources (lonely planet thorn tree, travel blogs, etc)?

I've subscribed to travel+leisure and similar magazines in the past, but they seem to be targeting the luxury traveler.  I'm looking for something a few notches down without all ads for Cartier, Rolex, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, etc.

There is Backpacker magazine.

Scientific American,
Family Handyman,
Business Week (read most of it on the website),
the alumni magazine, and
U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings-- lifetime subscription, much more fun to read now that I don't have to give a darn what the CNO thinks...

justin said:
Does anyone read travel magazines that are targeted towards the budget traveler? I'm thinking off the beaten path places, backpacker, hostel, SE Asia, central america, cheap hotels/food/transportation. "I traveled around the world for under $5000" type of articles, etc. What magazines are out there? Are they any good? Are they better than the free online resources (lonely planet thorn tree, travel blogs, etc)?

Outside and Backpacker are good.

justin said:

National Geographic Adventure is somewhat like Outside magazine and is pretty good. They have a sister publication called National Geographic Traveler that you might want to look into.

MB

mclesters said:
Forget t+l, way out of the league of avg traveler, and not much in the way of good info, to me. I love Frommer's Budget Travel and subscribe to their email list, which is where I found pretty cheap tix to take my mom to Italy for her 65th b-day. Great publication and one of two I am willing to pay for--the other is Smithsonian.
Sarah

http://www.budgettravelonline.com

Thanks, Sarah! I printed the budget restaurant suggestions (from your link) for our trip.

Back
Top Bottom