Good News - Amazon book rebate

How in the world can you get that much money back? :confused:

When we decided to sell our house and downsize to a smaller house, one of the issues was that we had a lot of books and a lot of bookcases. We knew that we wouldn't have room for all of them. But, we didn't want to give them up as we enjoy rereading many books. By then, we also enjoyed buying books on Kindle so were buying all new books as ebooks.

So, we went through and basically replaced a few hundred books with Kindle books. That way, when we moved into our current house, we only needed to have room for 2 bookcases (mostly books unavailable on Kindle) instead of the 14 bookcases we once had.

So, we bought a lot of books so we get a large credit as result.

Katsmeow - is there anything about having the physical books that you miss? Was it hard to give them up?

Katsmeow - is there anything about having the physical books that you miss? Was it hard to give them up?

Not really. When I first got my actual early generation Kindle, it was tedious to search through a book to find something specific or to highlight sections if I wanted to.

But, the current software - I now mostly read on my phone or on my iPad - makes all of that easy. I can even highlight in different colors and annotate -- all without damaging the book.

The really good thing is that it is so much easier to read an ebook than read a physical book. I was reading a trade paperback not too long ago and it was difficult to read. It was think so words seemed to almost disappear into the spine. Also, I like the backlighting on my phone and iPad making it easy to read, for example, in a dark room. With a physical book I need good lighting.

Actually there is one negative thing. Back in the day, if I didn't like a book or didn't think I would want to reread it, I could sell it or trade it in at the used bookstore. You can't do that with ebooks. That said, I don't really want to sell or trade in many books nowadays. With reviews of books so common it is really rare that I buy a book that I won't want to potentially reread someday. So, I wouldn't want to sell them anyway. And, I also buy a lot of ebooks that are self-published on Amazon and the prices are really great (I do read reviews carefully on those books to make sure that they are actually good books).

Some people I know love having bookcases lining the walls and full of books. I was wondering if you felt the same way, but it seems not. There are definitely some convenience factors to e-books, such as the ones you mention.

Enjoy your refund!

Some people I know love having bookcases lining the walls and full of books. I was wondering if you felt the same way, but it seems not. There are definitely some convenience factors to e-books, such as the ones you mention.

What I liked about bookcases is the occasionally browsing the bookcase and finding a book I hadn't read in a long time and deciding to read it. Of course, I can browse my list of Kindle books and do the same, but it isn't quite the same. That said, the advantages far outweigh that.....

I thought getting over $40 was a lot until I saw the $331 settlement!

I guess there are both sides to a coin....when we moved to a smaller house last Fall, we had a "few" bookcases full of mostly old college textbooks, some novels, an encyclopedia Britannica, and some odds and ends. We also had books in the garage in boxes. We wanted to downsize these bookcases and boxes.

We are not big book readers, although we have read our share of them getting engineering degrees and MBAs etc. So we decided to try to give these books away......guess what? The library didn't want them, neighbors didn't either and it was too much trouble to try to sell them for pennies on the dollar. So the landfill got most of them.

DW got a Kindle (mainly for her Bible classes) and I got technical magazine subscriptions to various publications. We now have one bookcase with some books in it.:cool:

I also got $0.73, like many others. I read mostly classics that have no royalties; sometimes are free, sometimes $0.99. I'll pay up a bit to be guaranteed good formatting and fewer typos.

Ha

Major Tom said:

I was one of those people who love to have bookcases lining the walls. We even had a bona fide library when we lived in a house. When we moved into a smaller apartment, we had to parse through our library since we could only keep about 100 books due to space restrictions. We kept mostly art books because I don't think that those books look attractive in kindle format. We replaced the rest with kindle books. I can't say that I miss the paper books at all, although I find it a bit harder to find specific information in an e-book (unless I had the foresight to highlight that information in the first place).

Last edited:
I received a $21.67 credit.

Which actually tic'ed me off. I usually opt out of various class actions that I'm "part of". They are mostly shakedown exercises by the lawyers involved. In this case, no one ever notified me indicating how to opt out.

The anti-trust case was a complete pile of baloney. Amazon (as well as Hachette, HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster, Macmillan, and Penguin) caved.

Only Apple is fighting this. More power to them!

I received a $21.67 credit.

Which actually tic'ed me off. I usually opt out of various class actions that I'm "part of". They are mostly shakedown exercises by the lawyers involved. In this case, no one ever notified me indicating how to opt out.

The anti-trust case was a complete pile of baloney. Amazon (as well as Hachette, HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster, Macmillan, and Penguin) caved.

Only Apple is fighting this. More power to them!

If you want, I accept PayPal.;) Just PM me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom