Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Good News for US Automakers
Old 01-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good News for US Automakers

Not surprising, but seeing it in a graph confirms the narrative. US (and Korean) automakers are gaining share, at the expense of European and especially Japanese makers. I assume China and maybe India will establish a presence one day, but not any time soon?
Attached Images
File Type: gif 20110901-automktshares.gif (13.0 KB, 89 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Not surprising, but seeing it in a graph confirms the narrative. US (and Korean) automakers are gaining share, at the expense of European and especially Japanese makers. I assume China and maybe India will establish a presence one day, but not any time soon?
IMO this temporary. Basically took a natural disaster to knock Japanese makers down. US automakers have one 800 lb gorilla on their back that Asian automakers don't have (UAW). While Toyota definitely has stumbled in terms of quality and design, I wouldn't bet against them. IMO Foreign car makers will soon employ more Americans building cars than American car makers do.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
IMO Foreign car makers will soon employ more Americans building cars than American car makers do.
True. But don't forget that the total new vehicle profit still goes back to the "motherland", regardless of where the car is assembled.

Labor is only one "cost" (along with parts, plant overhead, design/management). While at least the U.S. (worker) is now better off than having the entire car built/sourced in a foreign land, as had been in the past, it is not all of the story as to the financial impact to any car (or other) manufacturer.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Guess you are not referring to the 28 Jan 2012 article entitled
U.S. automakers seen losing market share in 2012 ?

U.S. automakers seen losing market share in 2012 | The News Journal | delawareonline.com
justplainbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbll View Post
Guess you are not referring to the 28 Jan 2012 article entitled
U.S. automakers seen losing market share in 2012 ?

U.S. automakers seen losing market share in 2012 | The News Journal | delawareonline.com
We know what actually did happen, but I don't pretend to know what will happen in the future.

I have learned that with little effort you can often find a convincing case for either side of any issue online these days.
U.S. Automakers Seen Continuing Global Market Share Gains Over Next Five Years, KPMG Survey Finds - MarketWatch

FWIW, the last American car I bought was in 1978, but I've never rooted against US automakers - I hope they continue to improve their competitiveness.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
True. But don't forget that the total new vehicle profit still goes back to the "motherland", regardless of where the car is assembled.

Labor is only one "cost" (along with parts, plant overhead, design/management). While at least the U.S. (worker) is now better off than having the entire car built/sourced in a foreign land, as had been in the past, it is not all of the story as to the financial impact to any car (or other) manufacturer.
Yes. I was only pointing out that it is more cost effective for foreign makers to build here because of non union labor costs and the relative weakness of the US dollar especially against the Yen.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Well at least there is still a domestic car industry. There are those who believe we should have let GM and Chrysler fail, taking down the supply chain and probably hurting Ford too.

What kind of a nation would we be if we also completely off shored car production, as we've done with many other manufacturing industries?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Would these be the Japanese makers in Kentucky or the Japanese makers in some other U.S. state? And what about the exec at a Mercedes plant in a southeast state who was almost jailed for not having his green card in his wallet?

A GM plant in Detroit will hopefully pump as much money into the local economy as the plant from some overseas company in another U.S. state. That's what I'd hope, anyway.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Would these be the Japanese makers in Kentucky or the Japanese makers in some other U.S. state? And what about the exec at a Mercedes plant in a southeast state who was almost jailed for not having his green card in his wallet?
Just heard that on This American Life podcast. The state was Alabama, which passed a very restrictive anti-immigration law where every govt. employee was obliged to check the citizenship status of anyone that they dealt with.

Law was targeted for Hispanic workers (though AL only has like 4% immigration) but state officials jumped through some hoops to reassure Mercedes and Honda, whose employees were also detained, that they're welcome and wouldn't be subject to the law.

[mod edit]
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote