Join Early Retirement Today

Good news. Good story.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good news. Good story.

This is in the local rag - makes me feel pretty good about people here and in general.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wednesday, December 05, 2007.jpg (292.5 KB, 122 views)
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2007, 07:40 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
This is in the local rag - makes me feel pretty good about people here and in general.
Wow! A great Holiday story.

Ha
Old 12-06-2007, 04:39 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

That is a good story.

Sometimes I do that at toll boths when I'm on my bike. I pay the toll for the unknowns in the car behind me. I can only imagine what they might think.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:15 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Absolutely incredible!
Old 12-06-2007, 05:29 AM   #5
gone traveling

Just wonderful,
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:27 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Very nice. It is amazing how good you feel by giving or doing a good deed.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:11 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post

Anyone else seen any more good deeds lately?
Old 12-15-2007, 09:21 PM   #8

Actually, just thought of one. A local boy got good grades at elementary school. His school had a program to reward 3 good-student kids a year with bikes, and this time he won.

Besides the bike money from the school, his mom decided to add in another $75 bucks so her son could get a larger bike he really had his eyes on.

They purchsed it, and had it stored in the garage that night. Next day he got up to take his first ride, and discovered someone had stolen the bike from the garage---and nothing else. He was very upset and rued he hadn;t even got to ride it once. Very distraught.

The story made the local radio and paper. Two days later, community members, a bank, and a local bike shop had donated enough funds to replace not only his bike, but also to fund the elementary school's program for fourteen others.

The boy learned lots of lessons out of that one.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:23 PM   #9

Well, since you asked I am so very proud of my 25 year old daughter. Every year she selects a local charity and asks her circle of friends to help support it, usually by bringing donations/contributions to an annual holiday party she hosts. This year, she decided on the local humane society and sent out her usual email blast to all her college buddies, work friends, family, etc. She asked me to go with her to the humane society shelter to deliver the items collected -- I was amazed that she collected 10 huge boxes of towels, blankets, dog/cat toys, treats, food, and lots of other stuff that was on the shelter's website wish list...and I was even more amazed by the nearly $500 that some of her out of town friends donated to the cause.

When we drove to the shelter and made five trips inside to drop off the boxes, the staff and volunteers were so appreciative they made us cry.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

So the tv reports that today in Marysville Washington a lady paid for the coffee of the person behind her at Starbucks. By this afternoon more than 700 customers had paid it forward, buying the coffee for the people behind them. Excess money collected will be put toward the store's toy drive. Have to wonder if someone affected by the little event in Dallas didn't start this up up in Washington. I wonder if it would be a bit more fun to do in a grocery store by spreading the good feelings across a wider demographic, but am tickled to hear about this happening again.

Found this print version of the story, with more (and different) details.
Local News | Coffee customers "pay it forward" by paying for those behind | Seattle Times Newspaper
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote