Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When in Sevilla, we went to a flamenco show performed by an art school. According to our guide book, they practiced the old-style music and dance that was considered more traditional than commercial revues. We enjoyed the show. The music was haunting, and with a very strong Arabic influence.

I have also read that Spanish people in the Northern part such as in Barcelona do not share the same tradition as the Southern Spain. Barcelonians do not enjoy bull fighting either.

Galicia and Asturias which were further away were even protected from the Moorish invasion due to the rugged terrain, and hence were not under the Arabic influence. Perhaps that's why flamenco music is not popular in those parts. Just a ventured opinion.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, I do know the Sevillanos were mighty proud to tell you that they lived in the "real" Spain. If I were to go to Spain again I'd want to go back there. I can get modern stuff in America, and I got a huge kick out of seeing those old traditions that are dying over there.
If you ever go back, NW-Bound, try to go during Feria. You'll see dancing, singing and things you normally don't see around Seville. Very cool experience totally!

...but back to good old fashioned things we still do................................................ ..........................................
Old 10-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps the other parts of Spain have their own traditions, which are not as well known as those of the more popular Andalusia region.

We are still on the old-fashioned things, although these are the things I only watch as a traveller. Is that OK with the OP?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Fix or refurb alot of "appliance" disposables and get a second life. I TOTALY enjoy working on my 70's 60's fleet.
nphx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:24 AM   #45

Orchid and NW:
You are both right on your comments.
We on the Northwest tend to be more reserved and less outgoing than Andalusians. The probable reason is blamed on the weather and having less sun. Galicia is said to be very similar to Ireland.
Anyway, any and all parts of Spain will wellcome you!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:07 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Today's project is using up some ripe bananas (5 medium). Besides banana bread/muffins, what else can I do with these? Is freezing an option or will they just go brown? I have some FruitFresh (citric acid) on hand.

My gas oven is temporaily on the blink (globar crapped out in main oven). My convection oven still w*rks but it is not so great for baking things in high profile bread pans. I can do muffins in there.

Any other ideas from the floor?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:11 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Banana smoothies. Bananas and pineapple can be fried with ham and eggs (my mother used to do this a lot back in Hawaii, but I hated it so I don't).

Actually, I would do the banana muffins and freeze them. Nothing wrong with banana muffins!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Is freezing an option or will they just go brown?
Let me google that for you
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:28 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
We on the Northwest tend to be more reserved and less outgoing than Andalusians. The probable reason is blamed on the weather and having less sun.
Being of a gloomy character at times, I would fit right in! I often think there is too much sun in Arizona for me, even if I have been here 2/3 of my life.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:39 AM   #50

arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Being of a gloomy character at times, I would fit right in! I often think there is too much sun in Arizona for me, even if I have been here 2/3 of my life.
Arizona sounds a lot like our Castilla. A lot of sun. Dry. Hot in summer, cold in winter. Desertic. Underpopulated.
Tough, stern and serious looking people.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:49 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
arizona

Arizona sounds a lot like our Castilla. A lot of sun. Dry. Hot in summer, cold in winter. Desertic. Underpopulated.
Tough, stern and serious looking people.
Hot in summer: Yes, very. But only in the low desert.

Cold in winter: Only up in the high country (the part that "outsiders" do not know about)

Underpopulated: Not at all in the metropolitan Phoenix. The high country in contrast is mostly National Forest or Indian Reservation, and yes, underpopulated.

Serious people: 99.9% of people, myself included, do not look like ranchers with leathery skin one sees pictures of in National Geographic. Most of us Arizonans are transplants, and, well, sissies.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:02 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

About the only old-fashioned thing I do is my methods of cooking/eating - well, some of them. A lot of them. But I still use the microwave quite a bit. And what is available at the grocery store requires much, much less prep than in older times.

And maybe my outdoor activities count, but even there I wear the most modern of clothing and carry the most modern of optics and cameras.

Hiking is old-fashioned, but hiking gear is not. Bird-watching is barely old-fashioned as people didn't start using binocs for bird-watching until around WW II, after which bird-watching really exploded. Photography - even by amateurs is a lot more old-fashioned than bird-watching, but the cameras today - far from it.

I love the new high-tech gear. Wouldn't want to do without it. Even if the activity I engage in is a very traditional one.

Audrey

P.S. I finally found a recording of Bach orchestral music on period instruments that I thought sounded fantastic (Boston Baroque - Orchestral Suites). But of course I downloaded the music from iTunes!!!! And I'm sure it was digitally recorded.
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
But I still use the microwave quite a bit.
maybe I don't know what "ol fasioned" means. 1945-47 seems so long ago.

Let me google that for you
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:13 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Reading books, and sitting in the library to read newspapers and magazines are one of my favorite old school activities.

I'd say running, but I usually wear a garmin GPS watch and tech shoes and clothes, and there's really not a high tech replacement, so I don't think this qualifies.

Every once in awhile I'll go to the Shakespeare theatre designed with the original stage conditions, and watch a play, or go to the local symphony. Neither has any artificial amplification.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Original "Rules" for good ol' fashioned were no 1s and 0s (computer technology), but electricity is OK.
Not that we free spirits give a hoot about any stinkin' rules, right?
Old 10-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Here's a classic - grab a blanket, a hot mug of coffee and find some dark sky on Wed Oct 21, 6 AM ET

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/091020-orionid-meteor-shower.html
Old 10-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #57

NW-bound:
In my ever increasing vocabulary "sissy" equals pansy, wimpy, effeminate.... Maybe I donīt have the right meaning.... for the word...
Old 10-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I use the word to mean wimpy, e.g. not tough like the cowboys one sees in Western movies, like Clint Eastwood.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Here's a picture of a highly "analog" activity that I am proud of. I built the terraces in the back of my boonies home using rocks that were dislodged during construction. I should have done more of this kind of work, if we get to stay up there more.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Nice work, NW.