Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Good Regional Food
Old 04-17-2007, 08:29 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Italy. 
Yep.. kinda hard to get here on a road trip.. DH's current breakfast cold-cut (we go for bread and cheese or ham over a cereal or other sweet breakfast) is head cheese. I took a pic to show my sister. I can't stand the sight of it but DH loves it.

The reason lobster is so good from Maine is the cold ocean water which is where they live/grow best.

I remember growing up in RI there were some specific foods unavailable elsewhere.. none of them particularly good for you:

• Hot weenies.. these are particular, small hot dogs with a Vienna-sausage-style form, topped with raw onions, celery salt, and a type of mildly peppery meat sauce (NOT to be confused with chili).The little diner/dives that served these have all but disappeared.. they were always named "So&So's NY System" but AFAIK there is no link to NY.

Edit: Sliced hot dog roll ONLY (please, no buns with the crust all around.. those are NOT hot dog rolls)!

Either I remembered badly or things have changed.. as the pictures here show:
http://www.olneyvillenysystem.com/photos.asp
All the other kinds of "regular" hotdogs, lobster rolls and so forth used sliced rolls. When at some point we began to see "whole" hotdog buns in the supermarket it was a novelty as far as home use was concerned.

Anyway the weenies are often very small.. 2-3/person is usual

• Clam cakes.. Deep-fried fritters with bits of chopped-up clam. Served at the beach. I can hear the surf now.

• Fried squid with hot peppers.. before "calamari" became the rage. Take your regular fried calamari and  put some slices of jarred hot cherry peppers over it.

Also particular to my childhood but which I have not seen elsewhere were tiny fried bay scallops.. the size of one of your top finger joints.. mmmm.. sWEET and good!

• Quahogs, esp. stuffed quahogs.. A kind of giant clam.

• Coffee milk and coffee ice cream.. Mom always kept some "Autocrat" coffee syrup in the cupboard as an alternative to Hershey's. Slogan: "a swallow will tell you" (icon of a yellow bird). Coffee ice cream is common everywhere now but when I was growing up people outside of our area had never heard of it. My sister when she moved out to LA would "import" Autocrat syrup for coffee milk.

A couple other Italian-influenced RI items:
• Doughboys (fried dough.. but should be very light and digestible)
• Del's lemonade.. a summer staple. A kind of very fine lemon slush w/fresh lemons made to order.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1677.jpg (32.4 KB, 9 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb IMG_1677.jpg_thumb (36.3 KB, 0 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2007, 09:19 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

The gullah cuisine of coastal Carolina is worth a trip; the culture probably won't survive development pressures in the area.
I'll post my low country shrimp & grits recipe when I find it.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:32 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's one of the things we really enjoy about our RVing lifestyle.

We have been known to extend our trip when running into a area with exceptional regional cuisine. Most memorable - Cajun area around Mardi Gras. Stopped near Lafayette LA for a week fo visit a friend and some local wildlife sanctuaries. We extended our stay another week because of restaurant crawling. The food was so good we had to stay to revisit several places, plus we were in the peak of crawfish season!! Oh my! Them cajuns sure know how to eat!

And we are always excited to travel through New Mexico to get a fix for wonderful NM style traditional mexican food. It's worth an extra couple of days.

And we enjoy all coasts - fresh regional seafood - wonderful!

When we visited our RV factory in Yakima Washington for some repairs, we took advantage of the incredible array of regional wineries and summer seasonal fruits (like cherries!!!!).

And then Oregon is well known for great brew pubs......

I'm just getting started here!!!!

Audrey
Old 04-17-2007, 10:38 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
... plus we were in the peak of crawfish season!! Oh my! Them cajuns sure know how to eat!
Audrey, some would consider your comments as merely baiting us... :P

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:40 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Might even be considered master baiting... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:17 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Eh, I'm sure they look forward to Texas' fried scorpion & fricaseed rattlesnake seasons, too...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Do you mean some of you don't like boiled crawfish?!?!?! LOL! Well, I'm afraid it's one of my very favorites.

Can't speak to fried scorpions, but I have had fricassed rattlesnake - more specifically rattlesnake and cactus (nopal) stew, at the YO Ranch hotel in Kerrville, TX. It was quite good!

Oh - I ate fried grasshoppers in Oaxaca, Mexico. It's a regional specialty so they encourage everyone to try it. It was.....forgettable. The rest of the cuisine in Oaxaca is divine - the best of the best as far as Mexican traditional cuisines go.

Audrey
Old 04-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Can't speak to fried scorpions...
I prefer mine mashed rather than fried.

Quote:
...I have had fricassed rattlesnake - more specifically rattlesnake and cactus (nopal) stew, at the YO Ranch hotel in Kerrville, TX.
What you failed to mention is that rattlesnake stew (and armadillo on the half shell) is about all there is to eat here in Texas. Anyone contemplating moving here needs to take that into consideration.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:03 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Just in case there's one or two of you readers who don't know what head cheese is, I looked it up and I'm heartily sorry that I did so. Ignorance is bliss.

You head-cheese eaters should be permanently banned from donating blood. I thought the lutefisk & haggis threads were bad enough. Bleagh!

somehow i cant see head and cheese ever used even in the same sentance. sounds like a disease . the final stages of beer nuts maybe?